Each year, the Alumni Association honors those who bring distinction to Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine by the superiority of their talents and the selflessness of their service. Recently, the Alumni Association introduced two new awards: the Outstanding New Dentist Award and the Alumni Board Special Recognition Award.
For consideration for the current year's awards, your nomination must be received by the school no later than mid-May (see nomination form for the specific deadline date). Nominations received after that date will be considered for the following year. Self-submissions are encouraged.
Nominees are submitted by the School of Dental Medicine community to the Board of Directors of the Alumni Association. The Board selects the award winners, and the recipients are recognized at the Dental Reception and Dance Party held during Homecoming and Reunion.
Distinguished Alumnus of the Year
The Distinguished Alumnus of the Year Award is the highest award bestowed upon a graduate of our school. This award recognizes an alumnus or alumna who has shown dedication to the School of Dental Medicine, excellence in the profession, and whose work has made a significant mark in the field of dentistry. They have notable community involvement and contribute to the practice and continuing study of dental medicine and the dental profession.
Outstanding New Dentist Award
The Outstanding New Dentist Award recognizes an alumnus who graduated from Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine within the last 10 years. This award will be given to an alumnus whose accomplishments enhance the perception of the dental profession, has demonstrated outstanding service to his/her community, and is engaged with the activities of the School of Dental Medicine. This award will be given at the discretion of the School of Dental Medicine Alumni Association Board of Directors and may not be awarded annually.
Alumni Board Special Recognition Award
The Alumni Association recognizes that anyone is capable of bringing distinction, service, honor, and talent to Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine. The Alumni Board Special Recognition Award will be awarded to an individual who has made a significant impact within the community, the profession, or our institution that may or may not be a graduate of our university. This award will be given at the discretion of the School of Dental Medicine Alumni Association Board of Directors and may not be awarded annually.
Congratulations to the 2018 Alumni Association Award Recipients:
Distinguished Alumnus of the Year
Outstanding New Dentist
Past Alumni Association Award Recipients:
(Read more about each recipient by clicking on their name)
- 2017 Murray Stein, DDS, MSc
- 2017 Alex T. Mellion, DMD '11
- 2017 Col. Thomas E. Dundon, DMD '86
- 2016 Martin T. Nweeia, DMD '84
- 2016 Kevin A. Ward, DMD, MS '12
- 2016 Michael Zabell, DDS '70
- 2015 Joseph G. Mirci, DDS '82 and Kari Cunningham, DMD '10, '12
- 2015 Joseph Niamtu, III, DMD '78 and Phillip C. Aftoora, Director of Student Services
- 2014 Albert C. Goerig, DDS, MS '71
- 2013 Page W. Caufield, D.D.S., Ph.D. ‘73
- 2012 Leonard Weiss, DDS '63
- 2011 Thomas E. Van Dyke, DDS, Ph.D '73
- 2010 R. William Cornell, Jr., DDS '60
- 2009 Kenneth R. Callahan, DDS '55
- 2008 Marsha Pyle, DDS, M.Ed '84 & Ronald P. Lemmo, DDS '84
- 2007 Earl B. Willhoit, DDS '57
- 2006 Mark G. Hans, DDS, MSD '79, '81
- 2005 B. Holly Broadbent, DDS '52
- 2004 Kenneth B. Chance, DDS '79
- 2003 Marius Laniauskas, DDS '80