Congratulations to the 2020
Alumni Association Award Recipients:
Distinguished Alumnus of the Year
Rolf "Buzz" Behrents - Orthodontics '75
Outstanding New Dentist
Brian Gallagher, DMD '16
Itamar Carter, DMD '19
Each year, the Alumni Association honors those who bring distinction to Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine by the superiority of their talents and the selflessness of their service. Recently, the Alumni Association introduced two new awards: the Outstanding New Dentist Award and the Alumni Board Special Recognition Award.
For consideration for the current year's awards, your nomination must be received by the school no later than mid-May (see nomination form for the specific deadline date). Nominations received after that date will be considered for the following year. Self-submissions are encouraged.
Nominees are submitted by the School of Dental Medicine community to the Board of Directors of the Alumni Association. The Board selects the award winners, and the recipients are recognized at the Dental Reception and Dance Party held during Homecoming and Reunion.
Distinguished Alumnus of the Year Award
The Distinguished Alumnus of the Year Award is the highest award bestowed upon a graduate of our school. This award recognizes an alumnus or alumna who has shown dedication to the School of Dental Medicine, excellence in the profession, and whose work has made a significant mark in the field of dentistry. They have notable community involvement and contribute to the practice and continuing study of dental medicine and the dental profession.
Outstanding New Dentist Award
The Outstanding New Dentist Award recognizes alumni who graduated from Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine. Eligibility expires 10 years after completion of formal doctoral or postdoctoral training. This award will be given to alumni whose accomplishments enhance the perception of the dental profession, have demonstrated outstanding service to his/her community, and/or are engaged with the activities of the School of Dental Medicine. This award will be given at the discretion of the School of Dental Medicine Alumni Association Board of Directors and may not be awarded annually.
Alumni Board Special Recognition Award
The Alumni Association recognizes that anyone is capable of bringing distinction, service, honor, and talent to Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine. The Alumni Board Special Recognition Award will be awarded to an individual who has made a significant impact within the community, the profession, or our institution that may or may not be a graduate of our university. This award will be given at the discretion of the School of Dental Medicine Alumni Association Board of Directors and may not be awarded annually.
Past Alumni Association Award Recipients:
(Read more about each recipient by clicking on their name)
- 2019: Francis M. Curd, DDS '77, FICD, FACD
- 2019: James E. Melvin, DDS '78, PhD
- 2019: Maemie M. Chan, DMD '09
- 2019: Sara (Fields) Lyons, Director of Alumni Relations
- 2018 Donald P. Lewis, DDS '76, '80
- 2018 Michael A. Kroll, DMD '11
- 2018 Ms. Dorothy Caplin
- 2017 Murray Stein, DDS, MSc
- 2017 Alex T. Mellion, DMD '11
- 2017 Col. Thomas E. Dundon, DMD '86
- 2016 Martin T. Nweeia, DMD '84
- 2016 Kevin A. Ward, DMD, MS '12
- 2016 Michael Zabell, DDS '70
- 2015 Joseph G. Mirci, DDS '82 and Kari Cunningham, DMD '10, '12
- 2015 Joseph Niamtu, III, DMD '78 and Phillip C. Aftoora, Director of Student Services
- 2014 Albert C. Goerig, DDS, MS '71
- 2013 Page W. Caufield, D.D.S., Ph.D. ‘73
- 2012 Leonard Weiss, DDS '63
- 2011 Thomas E. Van Dyke, DDS, Ph.D '73
- 2010 R. William Cornell, Jr., DDS '60
- 2009 Kenneth R. Callahan, DDS '55
- 2008 Marsha Pyle, DDS, M.Ed '84 & Ronald P. Lemmo, DDS '84
- 2007 Earl B. Willhoit, DDS '57
- 2006 Mark G. Hans, DDS, MSD '79, '81
- 2005 B. Holly Broadbent, DDS '52
- 2004 Kenneth B. Chance, DDS '79
- 2003 Marius Laniauskas, DDS '80