Welcome to the MSN Program!
Along with the information you should be provided on parking, IDs, etc., there are a few additional items that you need to pay attention to as you proceed in the program (see below). Important information regarding policies and procedures are located in the following places: The School of Nursing Bulletin and Student Handbook. View the five year academic calendar . If you have any questions, contact the clinical preceptor coordinator or Latina Brooks, MSN program director.
All students must maintain current CPR certification while enrolled in clinical courses. Proof of CPR certification must be provided to the Department Assistant.
Preparation for Clinical
Check the MSN Student Community Canvas site
Every MSN student should have access. If you don't have access, please contact email@example.com.
- Preparation for Clinical Experiences
Before you start clinicals you must provide proof of immunization status for the following:
- MMR or positive titer
- Varicella or positive titer
- Hepatitis B or positive titer
- Polio or positive titer
- Negative PPD within the past year (or negative chest x-ray if unable to have PPD)
- Influenza vaccine by November 1 each year
Documentation of all of the above must be provided to the Department Assistant prior to beginning in the clinical area.
We need to have a copy of your official report from BCI/FBI regarding criminal background check (fingerprinting).
- Fees: Ohio BCI $35, FBI $35.
- To help complete the fingerprint process quickly, please bring your CWRU ID, any documentation requesting fingerprinting, and a driver’s license or state-issued ID.
Advanced Certifications are required for some MSN majors. It is expected that these advanced certifications will be obtained outside of course and clinical hours and at the student’s expense. Examples of Advanced Certifications include:
- ACLS for adult gerontology acute care nurse practitioner
- PALS for pediatric acute care nurse practitioner
- NRP for neonatal nurse practitioner and midwifery
- Labor support course for midwifery
- Fetal monitor interpretation course for midwifery
- CCRN for anesthesia
This list is not exhaustive, and requirements can change. Contact the program director for your major for the most current list of required advanced certifications.
There is not a standard lab coat or lab coat patch for the MSN program. Some clinical sites will require a lab coat and others will not. To see if a lab coat is required, check with your preceptor.