Eligibility for school-provided computers
Computers will be provided to:
- Full time faculty
- Field faculty advisors
- Staff, administrators, post-docs
- Departments for use by student workers
- Adjunct or visiting faculty with offices on campus
- Emeritus faculty with offices on campus
- Classrooms - funded by UTech MSASS, maintained by Mediavision
UTech will not provide computers to:
- Students (doctoral, graduate or undergraduate)
- Teaching assistants
Shared workstations may be provided for some individuals, for example adjunct faculty using the adjunct office will have access to a shared workstation; student employees may also be provided a shared workstation.
Guidelines for faculty and staff desktops and laptops:
- Replace oldest machines first, starting with primary faculty and staff machines.
- Mandel School UTech may replace an old computer with new purchased equipment or with equipment from inventory.
- Issue one computer person. If a person has two offices, place equipment in office of their choosing. Secondary office may receive an older workstation if equipment is available.
- Faculty or staff requesting a laptop must justify the change in computing equipment by completing the form provided.
- Additions to standard laptop and desktop configurations will be billed to the department, discretionary account or research funds.
- Typical age of computers up for refresh: Desktop - 5 years, Laptops - 4 years; Actual refresh date may depend on available funding or other factors.
- For emeritus faculty, upon request for a computer refresh from the emeritus faculty member, UTech will consult with school leadership when deciding the refresh timeline and the replacement computer model.
- When refreshing a computer, the old equipment will be returned to Mandel School UTech for redeployment in the school or recycling.
Leaving the University
- Hardware and software purchased with university funds (Mandel School UTech, department, discretionary or research funds) and deployed to a faculty or staff member must be returned to Mandel School UTech when an employee leaves the university or takes a position outside of the Mandel School.
Approved August 2019