Leaving Case Western Reserve University: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What Do I Need To Do?
Terminating Employee Responsibilities:

    • When terminating employment how much notice do I have to provide?

    An employee in good standing will give his or her supervisor at least two weeks notice for a voluntary termination.  Staff members who give insufficient notice of termination are not eligible for re-employment. http://www.case.edu/finadmin/humres/policies/employment/term_emp.html

  • Are there any forms that a terminating employee needs to complete prior to the date of termination?

    Yes, a terminating employee should complete the Employee Termination Checklist with his/her supervisor. The checklist requires that the employee return all university property, equipment, work materials, tools , research data/material, and notes, for reconciling outstanding expenses, fines, and other debts. The terminating employee is also responsible for returning keys, identification cards, parking hangtag, etc. The checklist must be completed and returned to the Records Office in Human Resources prior to the effective date of termination. http://www.case.edu/finadmin/humres/policies/attachments/employment/TerminationChecklist.pdf

  • What happens if a terminating employee fails to complete and return the Employee Termination Checklist?

    Should an employee fail  to return any university property or to pay all debts to the university, the university may deduct from the employee’s final paycheck an amount equal to the debts owed to the university, an amount equal  to the reasonable value to the property not returned, or both. In addition, an employee’s final paycheck will be held in the Records Office of Human Resources until the completed checklist is received.

  • Does the university have an exit interview process?

    Yes, the university wants to better understand what employees value most in their workplace and why they leave, and therefore request that departing employees complete a confidential exit survey.  If a terminating employee wishes to speak to someone in person regarding their work experience, the employee can contact the Employee Relations Office at 216.368.2268. The feedback that employees provide is a helpful driver for organizational improvement. Click on this link to complete and submit the Exit Interview Survey.