The Department of Human Resources’ (HR) Mission acknowledges that people are our most valuable asset for sustaining excellent teaching, research, service, and attracting a talented diverse workforce. We create and maintain dynamic policies and procedures to facilitate change while ensuring compliance. We strive for excellence by delivering innovative training, exceptional service and supporting personal well-being. The Department of Human Resources seeks to be recognized for creating transformational experiences that positively impact the university community and its culture.
To fulfill our Mission and Vision, these HR Standards of Performance are designed to provide our customers with a reasonable expectation of process and outcomes. In addition, we want our customers to know what we expect of ourselves as we move toward “Customer Focused Service Excellence.” HR will respond to all inquiries as soon as practical and in accordance with the listed standards. Should you have an encounter with HR that does not meet with these expectations, please contact the appropriate HR director as soon as possible to discuss and resolve your situation.
Central HR Department
- We will make every effort to return calls and voicemail messages the same business day, but no later than the next business day. If the HR specialist you are trying to reach is out of the office, please call the HR Service Center 216-368-6964 for immediate assistance.
- We will acknowledge all emails within one business day. If we are unable to substantively respond to your email, or the information will take longer than the next business day to obtain, our acknowledgement will provide an expected date when the requested information will be available for the substantive response.
- Should a customer inquiry require research or consultation, the individual asked will be responsible for consulting with their appropriate team members and getting information back to the customer. When it is best to forward the customer to another HR representative, the person conducting the transfer will remain on the line until the other representative is reached and acknowledges that they can address the issue.
Hours of Operation
Normal hours of operation for HR are 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. for the purpose of these Standards of Performance. The HR Service Center, located at Crawford Hall, Room 320, is open during those business hours.
HR Service Center
- Acknowledge the receipt of a customer’s request within one (1) business day.
- Return all voicemails no later than the next business day.
- If the customer inquiry cannot be answered immediately and/or the Service Center needs to consult with another HR team member, the Service Center will provide an update with the intended course of action and a timeframe of when the customer can expect to be contacted with the requested information.
The response and processing times below refer to the time period after all required forms and documentation are received in the Benefits office.
- General benefits inquiries (phone calls, emails) - one (1) business day.
- Appeals - acknowledgment of receipt within 1 business day; time frames for review and decision will vary depending upon the complexity of the case.
- Benelect enrollment elections (e.g., new hires, change of status) - two (2) business days.
- Tuition waivers - within five (5) business days; however note that the Bursar’s Office does not begin to apply payments until the end of the drop/add period each semester.
- Tuition reimbursement payments - within two (2) weeks of grade submission.
- Carrier inquiries - one (1) business day.
- COBRA paperwork - mailed within five (5) business days of notification.
Note: On some special occasions, such as during Benelect Open Enrollment, response times may be delayed.
- Job description review and analysis - An initial response will be provided within five (5) business days. This timeframe will vary depending on the complexity/scope of the position and timing with the payroll process. The process is complete when there is agreement on a final job description and a signed certification memo.
- Equity review - An initial response will be provided within five (5) business days. This timeframe will vary depending on the complexity/scope of the positions under review and timing with the payroll process.
- Additional payment - Requests are reviewed and processed for the upcoming pay period if they are received and an agreement regarding payment is reached prior to payroll cutoff.
- Performance management - review of salary/merit increases are processed prior to the payroll cutoff if received on time.
The response and processing times below refer to the time period after all required forms and documentation are received in the Employee Relations office.
- Positive Corrective Action - depending on the severity and types of investigation needed, ten (10) business days from submission of all information
- Informal Grievance - thirty (30) calendar days
- Formal Grievance - sixty (60) calendar days
- Acknowledgement of leave of absence - one (1) business day
- Investigations - sixty (60) days
- Reorganization Request (Grant Funded) - Two (2) weeks from submission of all information in final form
- Reorganization Requests - 60-90 days from submission of all information in final form
- Time to fill - Employment’s goal is to fill staff positions within a 45 day timeframe. This may vary depending upon the complexity, level of the position, underutilization and availability of the hiring officials.
- Employment requisition and posting process - Positions are posted daily on our website within 24 hours of an approved requisition through HCM Recruiting. The Recruiter will contact the hiring department once the position is posted.
- Recruiting process - All positions are posted on our website for a minimum length of 7 calendar days/5 business days (typical length of a job posted on our website is thirty (30) days).
- Hiring process - Offers of employment are extended by the Recruiter upon the candidate’s satisfactory completion of background screening. Background screening may take 5-10 business days (This may vary dependent on obtaining results from criminal background check and availability of professional references).
Immigration and Human Resource (IHRS) Services
The processing times, noted below, refer to the period after all required appointment documents are received in IHRS. They do not reflect the time the U.S. Government takes to complete the request once the government has received the request. Please keep in mind that these processing times are based on an average of all cases IHRS receives. These times may vary depending upon the complexity of the case, number of cases in the queue (first in, first out) and volume of work received.
- J-1 Visa - processed 2-5 weeks.
- H-1B Visa - processed 4-7 weeks.
- O-1, E-3 and TN Visa - processed 4-7 weeks for new cases, 2-5 weeks for extensions.
The HR Information Systems & Records department strives for a one business day turnaround on the work it receives. This can vary during months when the volume of work increases due to faculty reappointments, special ERP projects, payroll projects and when the department is not fully staffed.
- New Hires - processed within one (1) business day
- Verification - processed within one (1) business day
- Reviews - prior to the payroll cutoff if received on time
- Email, phone mail, Helpdesk tickets - processed within one (1) business day
- Terminations - processed within one (1) business day
Professional Development Center (PDC)
- Acknowledge the receipt of a customer’s request within one (1) business day and follow through on their request within a timely manner