General Benefits

If your start date is on the first working day of the month, benefits go into effect as of that date. If your start date is not on the first working day of the month, benefits go into effect on the first of the following month.

This activity must adhere to the criteria utilized for life events (i.e., loss or gain of domestic partner’s medical, dental, and/or vision coverage). Complete the Change of Status Form and attach a copy of the appropriate documentation. Documentation must be received within 30 days of the event.

No. Health benefits are only able to be updated online during the open enrollment period each fall.

The annual election of health insurance, known as the Benelect open enrollment period, begins in early November and ends on November 30. Look for announcements in the daily newsletter in late September/early October.

Employees can expect ID cards to arrive at their home address approximately 2-3 weeks after turning in the paperwork. If temporary ID cards are needed sooner, please contact the HR Service Center at 216.368.6964.

Two of our providers, VSP (vision) and the Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine, do not issue ID cards. Provide your name, date of birth, and/or Social Security number and they will be able to find you in their systems when you make an appointment.

Employees can login to HCM and navigate to Main Menu>Self Service>Benefits>Benefits to see their current benefits selected. Employees can change the effective date to check on future enrollments or past.

Employees can access PeopleSoft HCM by visiting hcm.case.edu.

As part of the Affordable Care Act, the university is required to issue an IRS document – Form 1095. This form provides you with information about the health insurance coverage you had or were offered during the tax year.

Generally, Form 1095-C and Form 1095-B are not required for the preparation of your tax return, nor does the form need to be attached to your tax filing. However, some tax preparers ask for it, so employees should keep the Form 1095 with their tax records.

Yes.  All benefit-eligible individuals will receive this form whether or not they used one of the insurance options during the previous tax year.

Benefit-eligible employees will receive the Form 1095-C via mail, which will be sent to the address listed in the HCM system. (You can update addresses through the HCM system by navigating to Self Service > Personal Information > Home and Mailing Address).

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)

Employees can access their FSA funds by using their MyBenny debit card to pay for eligible expenses right away or by submitting either the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Reimbursement Claim Form (Health) or the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Reimbursement Claim Form (Dependent Care) (as appropriate) to Meritain.

Claims can be faxed to 888.837.3725 or mailed to: Meritain Health, PO Box 30111, Lansing MI 48909.

Charges are reimbursed by date of service. Receipt or itemized bill showing date(s) of service, type of service, and charge(s) must be attached to the claim form in order to receive reimbursement.

Reimbursement should occur within 3 to 10 days. Checks are sent by Meritain once a week so it depends upon when the claims are received by Meritain Health.

The check is mailed to your home. Meritain Health also offers direct deposit of reimbursements – to enable this you must complete the Meritain FSA Direct Deposit Authorization Form and submit it to the vendor.

Contact Meritain Health at 800.566.9305.

Qualified dependent care expenses include baby sitter, day care center, nursery school, after-school care, home health care worker, and care for eligible adult. For businesses, an EIN number will need to be provided. For an individual, a Social Security number will need to be provided.

Employees have until March 15th of the following year to use the funds from the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) from the previous year. Any funds not used in this time frame will be lost and non-refundable.

If using the prior year’s funds, employees will need to use the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Reimbursement Claim Form (Health) and/or the Flexible Spending Account Reimbursement Claim Form (Dependent Care) located on the HR Benefits webpage. Any expenses using the debit card will be deducted from the current year’s funds.

Medical Insurance

Medical coverage is offered through four plans: Anthem PPO, Anthem High Deductible, Medical Mutual PPO, and MMO CLE-Care HMO.

Dental coverage is offered through two plans: Dentemax and Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine.

Vision coverage is offered through VSP.

Employees can compare these plans using the Benelect Guide and price sheets.

Part-time employees are eligible for insurance if they work at least half time. Half time is defined as twenty (20) hours per week for forty (40) hour/week staff (exempt and non-exempt), and 18.75 hours per week for 37.5 hour/week non-exempt staff.

Monthly employee contributions are charged based on whether the employee is considered to be 50% or 75%. Non-exempt employees who work 18.75-27.9 hours per week, and exempt employees and non-exempt employees in a 40 hour/week position who work 20-29.9 hours per week, are considered 50% time. Non-exempt employees who work 28-37.4 hours per week and exempt employees and non-exempt employees in a 40 hour/week position who work 30-39.9 hours per week are considered 75% time. View the price sheets in the Benelect Guide.

Coverage is available through VSP.

After an eligible employee has been on medical leave for fourteen (14) consecutive days, they may qualify for short-term disability. Employee must first exhaust all accrued sick and vacation time before beginning short-term disability. 

Staff members (SG 17 and below) are eligible for short-term disability after 90 days of service. After the employee has been on unpaid leave for 14 days, short-term disability pays 50 percent of salary, up to a maximum of $400 per week. The benefit covers up to 26 weeks of disability.

Faculty, senior staff (SG 18 and above), and executive staff (ungraded positions) are not eligible for short-term disability.

The university contributes varying amounts of money towards the purchase of selected benefits. The shared percentages are based on the number of hours worked per week, Federal Labor Standards Act (FLSA) employment status (exempt or non-exempt) and annual salary. Price sheets are available on the Human Resources website for review.

COBRA benefits can be utilized in the event of a layoff, termination, dependent child reaching the age of 26, or an employee falling below 50% time (18.75 hours per week for non-exempt employees working a 37.5 hour/week position, and 20 hours per week for exempt employees and non-exempt employees working a 40 hour/week position).

Making Changes to Plans and Coverage

Review the PDF version of the Benelect Guide. New plans and changes to existing plans are announced via campus emails, the daily newsletter, and during the annual Benefits Fair.

The employee would need to complete the Change of Status form and provide a copy of the marriage certificate. Documentation must be received within 30 days of the event.

First, changes must be requested as a result of a life event (marriage, divorce, spouse/ equivalent gain/ loss of insurance, birth/ adoption of a child, or change in status such as part-time to full-time or vice versa). The employee must complete the Change of Status form and provide documentation proving the change.  Appropriate documentation includes:

  • Marriage: Marriage Certificate
  • Divorce: Divorce Decree
  • New Baby: Birth Certificate or Proof of Birth Letter issued by the hospital.
  • Loss/Gain Coverage: Letter from company stating the names of all affected individuals, the type of coverage lost/gained (e.g. medical, vision, dental), and the date coverage was lost/gained.

Adding anyone who was not previously covered by Case Western Reserve University will also require dependent documents.  Dependent document requirements are available on the Forms page.

All paperwork and documentation must be received within thirty (30) days of the event.

Employees would need to update their beneficiaries on their life insurance, Plan B Pension, and their retirement account(s).

Life insurance beneficiaries can be updated by filling out the Life Beneficiary Designation form. This should be returned to Human Resources by fax at 216.368.3582 or in person to Crawford 320. Please note this change will not be noted in HCM. The form goes into the employee’s file and will take precedence over any previously submitted forms.

Plan B Pension beneficiaries can be changed by filling out the Retirement Plan B Beneficiary Designation form. This should be returned to Human Resources by fax at 216.368.3582 or in person to Crawford 320.

Beneficiaries for retirement accounts through TIAA or Vanguard need to be updated on the employee’s individual account through the carrier’s website.

Tuition Benefits

Tuition waiver and tuition reimbursement are available educational benefits.

Tuition waiver can be utilized by employees, spouses/domestic partners, and dependent children for coursework taken at Case Western Reserve University. Tuition reimbursement is only available to employees.

Tuition waiver can be utilized by employees, spouses/domestic partners, and dependent children for coursework taken at Case Western Reserve University.

Tuition reimbursement can be utilized only by employees for job related course work taken at degree granting institutions other than Case Western Reserve University.

Eligible employees must be employed by August 1 for fall semester courses, January 1 for spring semester courses, and June 1 for summer semester courses.

For spouses/domestic partners, eligibility is the semester following one year of employment with Case Western Reserve University. Dependent children are eligible under the same provisions as the employee.

Acceptance to the university must be obtained and classes must be registered for before the tuition benefits can be utilized. After those are completed, the Certification of Tuition Waiver Form should be filled out and returned to Human Resources by email at askhr@case.edu, fax at 216.368.4678, or in person at Crawford 320.

If the waiver is for an employee taking job related graduate courses, they will also need to fill out the Affidavit of Qualification for Tuition Waiver Tax Exemption Form in order to avoid being taxed. Graduate courses that are not job related are taxable to the employee.

If the waiver is for a spouse/domestic partner, the marriage certificate/affidavit of domestic partnership will need to be provided when they first register.

If the waiver is for a dependent child, proof of dependency must be provided when they first register and every fall semester. Proof of dependency would be fulfilled with a copy of the most recent Form 1040 (tax return form). If the child is not listed on Form 1040, the Child’s Proof of Dependency Affidavit Form can also be submitted.

For employees, your supervisor must sign the Certification of Tuition Waiver Form regardless of the coursework. Your supervisor does not sign for spouse or dependent child waivers.

Full-time employees may receive up to 6 credit hours in fall and spring semesters and up to 3 credit hours in summer semester. The semester credit hours are prorated for part-time employees.

Spouses/domestic partners may receive 8 full time semesters or part-time equivalent up to 120 credit hours paid at 50% of the undergraduate tuition rate if matriculated (25% of the undergraduate rate if a non-degree student). Dependents may receive 8 full time semesters or part- time equivalent up to 120 credit hours; must be matriculated students. Full undergraduate tuition is waived. Graduate/professional program tuition is waived at 50% of the undergraduate rate.

Tuition Waiver forms and supporting documentation are due no later than the first day of classes each semester.

Graduate-level coursework taken by the employee is taxable unless the courses are job-related. All coursework taken by spouses/domestic partners and any graduate coursework taken by dependent children is also taxable to the employee.

Yes. Employees of the university can utilize Tuition Reimbursement when taking courses at other institutions. The courses must be job related and there must be a reason the employee is unable to take the courses at CWRU (i.e. scheduling conflict or the courses are not available).

In order to be reimbursed, employees must be employed by the university at the start of their class and remain employed throughout the duration of the course. If employment from CWRU terminates before their class is over, they are no longer eligible for reimbursement.

Employees must submit a Tuition Reimbursement form, a copy of the course schedule, and a copy of the tuition bill when the course begins. A grade report will then need to be submitted after the course has been completed. Courses with grades of “C” or higher will be reimbursed with a maximum yearly benefit of $2,500.

The Tuition Reimbursement Form needs to be submitted each quarter/semester as needed.

Tuition reimbursement is limited to $2,500 per fiscal year for full-time employees. Part-time employees’ tuition reimbursement is pro-rated.

Case Western Reserve University is part of the Tuition Exchange (www.tuitionexchange.org) consortium of more than 600 colleges and universities providing tuition scholarships to dependents of benefits-eligible university employees who are planning on attending other participating universities. The program is managed by the Financial Aid office and all questions should be directed to them. A program overview, along with the application and Eligibility Certification Forms, are available on the University Financial Aid website.

Tuition Exchange is available to first-time first-year, transfer and continuing students without a bachelor’s degree who meet the dependent child criteria defined in the Faculty/Staff Tuition Benefit requirements.

To maintain balance between exports (CWRU faculty and staff students) and imports (students coming to CWRU with a Tuition Exchange scholarship) as required by Tuition Exchange, CWRU sets a number each year who will be certified for export for the following Tuition Exchange year based on previous Tuition Exchange participation. For example, Certification for Tuition Exchange was limited to 40 students for the fall of 2017. Eligibility is determined based on the number of years, months and days of continuous, full-time, benefits-eligible service at CWRU.

For more information about the Tuition Exchange scholarship program, please review the program information from Financial Aid.

Tuition Exchange scholarships are not guaranteed, nor is admission guaranteed at member institutions. Dependent students of university faculty and staff will be evaluated for admission and awarded Tuition Exchange scholarships based on the criteria of the university to which they are applying.

Tuition Exchange scholarships certified by Case Western Reserve University typically cover four years or eight semesters of undergraduate education, but you should check with the host college or university. Dependent children are eligible to receive up to eight combined semesters of Tuition Exchange scholarship and faculty/ staff tuition benefit, so utilization of a Tuition Exchange scholarship reduces a dependent child's benefit available under the faculty/staff tuition benefit program.

Establish eligibility by completing the Eligibility Certification Form and returning the form along with any additional required documents to Human Resources in Crawford Hall, 2nd floor.

The University Financial Aid office will notify eligible applicants by November 1. Tuition Exchange applications must then be completed and submitted to Financial Aid no later than April 1. Be sure to apply for admission to the host colleges/ universities you have listed on the Tuition Exchange application. Pay careful attention to deadlines at the host institutions, as these often differ from regular admission deadlines.

An employee must submit an Eligibility Certification form before October 1 for consideration for the scholarship the following fall.

Retirement Benefits

Case Western Reserve offers retirement benefits to benefit-eligible faculty and staff. For additional details about the retirement plans, please visit the Human Resources website and navigate to Benefits > Retirement.

Faculty, executive staff, and senior staff participate in a 403(b) retirement plan that provides a salary-based employer contribution to the each participant’s account (e.g. Plan A non- contributory). Faculty, executive staff, and senior staff may also contribute to Plan A supplemental without university contribution.

Staff employees hired prior to July 1, 2015 participate in a pension plan that provides a benefit based on salary and years of service (e.g. Plan B). Staff employees hired on or after July 1, 2015, participate in a 403(b) retirement plan that provides a salary-based employer contribution to each participant’s account (e.g. Plan C non-contributory).

Staff employees, regardless of hire date, can receive employer matching contributions on voluntary salary deferrals elected by the participant. The university matches 50 percent on the first 4 percent of salary contributed by the employee in the tax-deferred option only.  There is no university match on the employee contribution to the Roth option (e.g. Plan C supplemental).

Case Western Reserve University accepts rollovers from compatible plans including 401(k), 403(b), 401(a), and PRS. IRAs are not accepted. Contact the HR Service Center at 216.368.6964 for further information.

You may leave your funds in the account, roll them over to an IRA, or cash out the account any time after termination. Please note that cash withdrawals may incur penalties.

If an employee has a financial hardship, a request can be made to access funds. If approved, the retirement account will be terminated for six (6) months. The employee will have to re-enroll at that time. Requests due to financial hardship must meet strict criteria such as foreclosure, delinquent school bills, etc.

Employee should contact TIAA or Vanguard directly to explore retirement options.

It becomes a part of your estate and will go to your designated beneficiary.

In accordance with IRS regulations and plan provisions, following termination from employment you could:

  1. Leave the funds in the plan where they will continue to be invested as you have elected. You would not be able to add any new contributions, but would be able to manage your investments
  2. Take distribution as a direct rollover to another qualifying employer’s plan or to a qualifying Individual Retirement Account (IRA) without being subject to tax withholding or early withdrawal penalty
  3. Take as a “cash” distribution (paid directly to you) which is subject to immediate 20% tax withholding and an IRS 10% early withdrawal penalty. At the end of that tax year you would receive a 1099-R in order to calculate, report and pay the penalty with your annual tax filing.

See the TIAA/CWRU website for investment options at tiaa.org/case.

Information can be obtained via their website at www.tiaa.org. Several phone numbers are available via the website based upon your need. A general customer service number is 800.842.2776.

Complete a new Salary Reduction Agreement:

Information can be obtained via their website at www.vanguard.com. Several phone numbers are available via the website based upon your need. A general customer service number is 800.523.1188.

Complete a new Salary Reduction Agreement (located on the Benefits Forms page and email it to askhr@case.edu).

The staff pension plan (known as Plan B) provides a retirement benefit to staff employees who were hired prior to July 1, 2015. Staff are eligible after one year of service with Case Western Reserve or upon employment with at least one year of service from another university or related research institution. Benefits vest after three years of service. Further details are provided through the Human Resources website (navigate to Benefits > Retirement).

The pension benefit amount is based on your salary and years of service.

Effective July 1, 2008, three (3) years after date of hire. Employees who terminated prior to July 1, 2008, had to be employed for five (5) years to be vested.

Your account will remain with the university until you become eligible.

It becomes a part of your estate and will go to your designated beneficiary.

The earliest you can receive pension benefits is age 65, or if you are at least 55 years of age and have 15 years of service. If you take the latter option benefits will be reduced.

No benefits are payable until retirement age.

Case Western Reserve University’s tax-deferred plan can be rolled into a traditional IRA while the after-tax plan can be rolled into a ROTH account.

In order to rollover funds the [former] employee will need to wait until contributions from their final pay have been posted to their account and then contact TIAA or Vanguard and request a distribution/rollover form. This form includes specific instructions on contacting the new plan for their distribution form, how to obtain the check, the correct format in which to make the check payable to, and what information needs to be included with it.

The employee will first need to enroll in Case Western Reserve University’s supplemental plan (not just the university contributory portion) and set up their account with their selected carrier. Once the account is set up, they will need to request a Rollover Contribution form (one for each account they are rolling over) from their selected carrier. This form includes specific instructions on how to obtain a check from the previous plan administrator, the correct format in which to make the check payable to, and what information needs to be included with it.

The employee will then contact the carrier administering the previous plan to obtain their distribution rollover form and request the check. Once the check is obtained, it and the completed Rollover Contribution form will need to be submitted to the new carrier according to the rollover form’s instructions.

Salary Administration

Representative benchmark jobs that can be readily compared to the market are surveyed, and salary ranges are established to reflect the market rate. These ranges are adjusted in response to changes in the marketplace and the budgetary constraints of the university.

A minimum and maximum of a salary range are determined by market pricing jobs and represent the lowest and highest wage paid for a given position. This spread between the minimum and the maximum is less for the lower skilled entry level positions. It expands in higher salary grades to reflect the increased complexity and responsibility of jobs, and the knowledge required.

Yes, there are three (Refer to the HR Policy Manual for procedures):

  1. Merit increases may occur annually if performance warrants and budget permits.
  2. Promotional increases are granted when an employee moves to a position in a higher salary grade. The amount of a promotional increase is determined by the employee's skills and experience, review of other salaries, and departmental budgets.
  3. Equity adjustments may be requested if an individual salary is low in comparison to others doing the same or similar work having similar credentials within the university.

The terms exempt and non-exempt refer to provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Non-exempt positions are subject to specific minimum wage, timekeeping, and overtime requirements. Exempt positions are not subject to these regulations and typically fall into three categories: executive, professional and administrative. Job titles alone are insufficient measures for determining exempt status. Determination is made on the basis of salary, job duties and responsibilities. At Case Western Reserve, exempt employees are paid monthly; nonexempt employees are paid semi-monthly.

You and your supervisor should have a copy of your current job description. You can request a copy from the compensation analyst. Contact AskHR@case.edu or 216.368.6964 to be directed to the correct compensation analyst.

When you submit your request, please provide your name, employee ID, your department, and your supervisor’s name.

Staff may receive one of two types of promotions: (1) in-position promotions or (2) by applying and being offered a job opening. Through posted position, eligible employees are able to apply for any posted position under the Internal Employment Promotional Opportunities Policy.

In-position promotion: Occasionally employees may be promoted because the position they hold is upgraded. The supervisor may request an in-position promotion without posting the position. The supervisor must submit a job description with a written explanation of the change in duties.

The supervisor must complete a promotion request form and show increased responsibility to warrant a salary grade change. The supervisor must obtain approval from the dean or department head and submit the request to the compensation team for review and concurrence. The effective date will be the first of the month following the approval date.

Upon position transfer: An employee who is selected as an internal candidate for a posted position that is a higher salary grade than the employee’s current position is under consideration for a salary increase. The hiring manager in consultation with the employment recruiter must verify that the employee’s salary is within the range and/or must prepare a request for a promotional increase. Salary increase is determined by employee’s skills and experience, review of other salaries, and department budgets.

All promotions - whether in position or for posted positions - will follow these guidelines. For further guidance, please refer to the Staff Salary Changes, Other Than as Part of the Annual Performance Review Procedure.

The department must submit an Additional Pay Request Form to the compensation team for approval prior to the scheduled work (assignment). The request should include the employee's name, current supervisor and department, the proposed project and duties, project manager, and proposed payment amount. The compensation team will review the project and appropriate pay methods within university salary guidelines and the federal wage and hour law and will work with the department to establish an approved payment plan.

The documentation will be placed in the employee's personnel file in the department of human resources. It is the employee’s responsibility to discuss the additional work with the current supervisor and ensure that it does not interfere with their regular, primary job. The employee may begin work once the approvals and consent are confirmed by the compensation team. The department will submit a payment request in the HCM system per the approved payment plan. From the HCM payment requests, the compensation team will review the employee's personnel file to verify and approve the payment.

General Policy Information

The orientation period can be extended if the request for the extension is made prior to the original three (3) month orientation being completed. Contact the HR Service Center at 216.368.6964 to be directed to the correct Employee Relations Specialist at least two (2) weeks before the end of the orientation period.  After the 3 months, orientation cannot be extended.

An explanation of the process and the related forms can be found on the Human Resources forms page under Employee Evaluation and Development. 

The university intends to give employees reasonable opportunity to improve their performance whenever productivity, quality, efficiency, or behavior is below an acceptable level. When performance falls below an acceptable level, corrective action may be imposed, including: verbal warning, written warning, suspension, or termination. Positive corrective action (PCA) is not progressive.

The grievance procedure is the process for an employee to utilize if he/she believes that the Human Resources policies and procedures are not being properly applied to his/her situation or involuntary termination. The Grievance Policy is located here.

Faculty and staff should contact the Office of Equity at 216.368.3066. Students should contact the Office of Student Affairs at 216.368.2020. These officials have been designated to receive reports of sexual harassment, will provide general advice about dealing with sexual harassment, and they will also discuss options for pursuing resolution of a sexual harassment complaint.

Counseling services for benefit-eligible employees

Yes, counseling services are offered through the Employee Assistance Program, IMPACT Solutions.

IMPACT Solutions provides free, confidential counseling and referrals to benefits-eligible faculty and staff, as well as their family members and household members. 

To use the Employee Assistance Program, simply call 1.800.227.6007. Your call will be immediately directed to counseling professionals. Staff is available and calls are answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The program covers a wide spectrum of personal and work-related challenges and daily living matters—from stress/family issues to depression, anxiety, substance abuse, legal and financial pressures, child and elder-care needs, and other commonly experienced concerns. 

Professional phone support is available around the clock on an unlimited basis for you and your family members. Just call 1-800-227-6007. Your call will be immediately answered by a qualified masters/doctoral level mental health professional 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. IMPACT Solutions has 835 providers in Cuyahoga County and 3,907 in the surrounding counties.

Absences, Attendance, Sick Time, and Leaves (Other Than FMLA Leaves)

The Absence and Attendance Policy is located in Staff HR Policies, Job Performance, Workplace Expectations, and Employee Behavior section, Attendance and Absences

Sick time is accrued based upon your benefits category and years of service. Sick time is given in a lump sum on an employee’s anniversary date.

New staff employees (SG 17 and below) receive five (5) sick days upon successful completion of their orientation. Staff employees with one to four years of service receive 10 days on their anniversary date. Staff employees with five to nine years of service receive 15 days on their anniversary date. Unused allowance accrues from year to year.

Years of Service Paid Time Off:

  • Three months to less than one year = five days per year
  • One year to less than five years = 10 days per year
  • Over five years = 15 days per year

Faculty, Executive Staff and Senior Staff accrue vacation time at the following rate:

  • Less than 1 year receives full pay for 1 2/3 day per month(s) worked
  • One year to less than three years receives full pay for one month plus 60 percent pay for 1 month
  • Three years to less than five years receives full pay for two months plus 60 percent pay for one month
  • Five years to less than 10 years receives full pay for three months plus 60 percent pay for three months
  • 10+ years receives full pay for six months

All employees can use up to eight (8) days per year for family medical, bereavement and parenting reasons. Employees who have FMLA leave for family medical can use up to twelve (12) days per year.

Refer to the Sick Pay Policy in the Policy Manual, Policy no. IV-10 for further details.

Non-exempt employees can use paid sick time in one-hour increments. Exempt employees must use paid sick time in half-day or whole-day increments, unless they are on intermittent FMLA leave.

There is a delay in HCM downloading sick time for new employees. However, despite it not showing as available, the time is available to employees as soon as their orientation period is over. Payroll and benefits are both aware of the delay and there is no penalty for taking time even though it is not visible.

For staff members (SG 17 and below), whatever sick time isn’t used per year is carried over and built upon when the new sick time is distributed.

Faculty, executive staff and senior staff’s paid sick time balances zero out and renew each anniversary date and, therefore, sick pay does not carry over from year-to-year.

Unused paid sick time is forfeited upon termination and is not included in termination pay calculations for faculty, executive staff or senior staff.

Exempt employees must take sick time in half day increments. Non-exempt employees may take sick time in one-hour increments.

Sick time should be pre-scheduled in advance to avoid an occurrence of absence.

Yes, employees may take up to eight (8) sick days per year for family sick and/or bereavement time, if they have the time available to them. Employees who have FMLA leave for family sick time can take up to twelve (12) sick days per year. Please see FMLA policy, Policy no. IV-8, as it may apply to your situation.

You need to take a leave of absence if you have been or anticipate being absent from work for more than five consecutive work days or if you experience an overnight stay in the hospital.

FMLA includes:

  1. Parenting (refers to care and nurturing for a new child as a result of childbirth, adoption, or foster custody, unrelated to a medical condition).
  2. Serious health condition of a family member.
  3. Serious health condition of the employee (including workers’ compensation or a serious health condition related to pregnancy and/or childbirth).

Other/Personal leave includes convenience, jury duty, military leave, personal, sabbatical and/or administrative.

Bereavement days come out of an employee’s sick time. Employees can use up to eight (8) sick days per year for bereavement and/or family sick time if they have the time available to them.

The jury summons should be submitted to the employee’s supervisor. Leave of absence paperwork should be completed and turned into Employee Relations along with a copy of the summons if the jury duty extends beyond five (5) days.

Employees should use the “JUR” time recording code (TRC) in the Human Capital Management (HCM) system in their Case Exception Timesheet in PeopleSoft by logging into HCM, clicking the Self Service link, then Time Reporting, then Case Exception Timesheet.

Complete the leave of absence paperwork and supply a copy of the military orders to Employee Relations.

The employee should complete the leave of absence paperwork. The position is held indefinitely.

Two (2) week pay is approved upon start of military leave.

Under our Attendance and Absences policy, any unscheduled absence, including those with a medical excuse, is considered an occurrence. This no-fault system permits an employee to have unscheduled absences and tardiness with no negative consequences until the occurrences exceed the policy guidelines. This policy has been established to foster communication of absences in advance and support the seamless execution of our academic and administrative tasks. If you have a serious health condition that leads to regular or extended absences, you may wish to consider Leave of Absence options under the Family and Medical Leave policy.

Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) of 1993 requires CWRU to provide up to 12 work weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave to “eligible” employees for certain family and personal medical reasons.

An employee has to have been employed by CWRU for at least one (1) year with the university, and have worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12-month period immediately prior to the leave. If you have any questions, please contact the Leave Specialist at 216.368.2268 or leaves@case.edu.

FMLA can qualify:

  1. For the birth of a child, and to bond with the newborn child.
  2. For the placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care, and to bond with that child.
  3. To care for immediate family members (spouse, child or parent–but not parent “in law”) with a serious health condition.
  4. To take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition.
  5. For qualifying exigencies arising from that employee’s spouse, son, daughter or parent on covered active duty or call to covered active duty status as a member of the national guard, reserves or armed forces.

FMLA guarantees twelve (12) weeks of job protected leave in a twelve (12) month rolling period.

Employees seeking to use FMLA leave are required to provide a thirty (30) day advance notice of the need to take FMLA leave when the need is foreseeable. If the leave is not foreseeable, the employee must provide notice as soon as possible—generally, either the same or next business day.

No, FMLA leave is unpaid. However, employees utilizing FMLA for personal illnesses can use their paid sick time or vacation time. After an employee exhausts their sick and vacation time, their leave is unpaid. At that point, employees can discuss short-term disability with the Leave Specialist.

Employees utilizing FMLA for family illnesses are able to use up to twelve (12) days of their sick time before using their vacation time. After the employee exhausts their vacation time, their leave is unpaid.

Benefits are still active for those utilizing FMLA.

Upon the employee’s return a pre-tax adjustment will be done.

If an employee is out for more than five (5) consecutive days or if they experience an overnight stay in the hospital, leave of absence paperwork must be filed. If an employee is out for more than three (3) consecutive days or if they experience an overnight stay in the hospital, leave of absence paperwork may be filed.

After five (5) consecutive days off for personal or family medical leave and for any intermittent leave.

Forms are located on the Human Resources forms page. They can also be obtained by calling the HR Service Center at 216.368.6964.

Employees on intermittent leave will be required to recertify every six (6) or twelve (12) months, depending on the nature of the leave.

Your supervisor is responsible for entering timesheets while you are out on leave.

Paid Parental Leave

Staff who are eligible for FMLA are eligible for paid parental leave for childbirth or parenting of a newborn or newly adopted or fostered child.

Parents are eligible for up to eight (8) weeks of paid parental leave after the birth of a child to recover from childbirth and/or to care for and bond with the newborn or newly adopted or fostered child within twelve (12) months of birth or placement.

The maximum paid parental leave would be nine (9) weeks: six (6) weeks for the primary care giver and three (3) weeks for the non-primary caregiver.

Birth mothers are eligible to use their sick time at the time of the baby’s birth. After the recommended sick time permitted by the healthcare provider is exhausted, or for those who are not the birth mother, vacation time may be used. Once all sick, vacation, and paid parental leave options are exhausted, employees may continue on unpaid leave if appropriate documentation has been submitted, up to a total leave time of twelve (12) weeks.

No, paid parental leave can only commence after the birth of the baby. If the leave is required to start prior to the birth, it will be considered a personal medical leave.

Paid parental leave can be taken intermittently with the approval of the employee’s supervisor and with the expectation of disrupting the department’s operations as little as possible. All parental leave must be exhausted within the first twelve (12) months of the child’s birth or adoption.


As of July 1, 2017, vacation time accrues based on an employee’s salary grade and length of service. Hours accrue monthly from the time the employee starts.

  • Salary grades 9 and below with 1-4 years of employment earn 11 days per year, 5-9 years of employment earn sixteen (16) days per year, and 10+ years of employment earn twenty-one (21) days per year.
  • Salary grades 10-17 with 1-4 years of employment earn 10.67 hours/month (16 days per year). Upon reaching five (5) years of employment, salary grades 10-17 earn 14 hours/month (21 days/year).
  • Salary grades 18 and above earn 14 hours/month (21 days per year).

Vacation days for faculty are assumed within the term designated in each faculty member's appointment letter.

View Calculating Vacation Days in the Vacation Days policy for specific days earned.

Accrual amounts increase based on length of service at the university.

At the beginning of the fiscal year (July 1), you cannot carry over more than last year’s accrual.

If an employee starts on or before the 15th of the month, they will accrue a full month’s worth of vacation. If they are employed after the 15th they will accrue vacation beginning the following month.

Employees can carry over the same amount of vacation time they would earn in a year.

For example, if an employee earns 16 days per year, they can carry over 16 days (i.e. 128 hours for a 40 hour/week employee and 120 hours for a 37.5 hour/week employee).

Maximum Fiscal Carry Over = 168 hours (21 days)

Vacation in excess of what can be carried over per year must be used by June 30th each year. As of the start of the fiscal year, July 1st, any vacation time over what an employee earns in a year will be lost.

No. The time must be used by June 30th or it will be lost.

No, there is no way to get time lost due to the start of the new fiscal year back.

No, the time must be used. Vacation is only paid out to the employee when they are leaving the university.

Part-time employees earn vacation time in days according to their salary grades and years of service, just as full time employees do. The difference is in the total number of hours earned. An employee who works twenty (20) hours per week, or four (4) hours per day, would only accrue vacation days in the amount of four (4) hours each while an employee who works forty (40) hours per week, or eight (8) hours per day, would accrue vacation days in the amount of eight (8) hours each. If both employees earn sixteen (16) vacation days per year, the twenty (20) hour per week/part time employee would earn sixty-four (64) hours per year while the forty (40) hour per week/full time employee would earn 128. This allows them to each receive the same number of days off at the rate of how many hours they work per day.

Sick time is not paid out. Any vacation time an employee has left as of their last day of employment is paid out to them, usually on their last paycheck.

No. Vacation time is paid out in the last paycheck once an employee leaves the university.

Separation of Employment

If you are resigning from your position, a resignation letter should be submitted to your supervisor at least two weeks before your last day worked. Prior to leaving the university, you are responsible for returning all equipment (including laptops), work materials, tools, research and notes, and reconciling outstanding expenses, fines and other expenses. You are also responsible for turning in keys, ID cards, and parking hangtags to Access Services.

You should obtain the Employee Termination Checklist and the Exit Interview form from your supervisor. The Employee Termination Checklist contains instructions for returning all university owned items as well as outlining other tasks you and your supervisor are responsible for completing before you terminate. These will have to be signed off on by your supervisor and Access Services before the form is returned to Records.

If not presented with one, supervisors should request a written letter of resignation from the employee. Upon notification of an employee's termination, the supervisor is to complete the Personnel Action Form and submit the form to the department’s management center within one workday. It should then be forwarded to the Records department.

The employee should also be issued the Employee Termination Checklist and the Exit Interview form. Supervisors should ensure all department related tasks are completed before signing the Employee Termination Checklist.

Please contact the HR Service Center at 216.368.6964. They will direct you to the correct Employee Relations specialist.

No, however, the opinions of departing employees are helpful to the university’s continuous attempt to improve. The exit interview is available in paper form, as an online survey, or can be done with a HR specialist in person.

An employee’s last paycheck will be issued no later than the next normal pay period.

Terminating employee’s final pay will typically be direct deposited to the bank account listed HCM on the regular pay date. If the employee would like to request their final pay be a paper check or mailed, they should contact the HR Records Office prior to the payroll run date at HRRecords@case.edu, per the Termination Checklist.

Any employee participating in university benefits when terminating will be sent COBRA paperwork after the termination is processed in HCM.

An employee must provide his or her supervisor at least a two-week notice for a voluntary termination. Staff members who give insufficient notice of termination are not eligible for re- employment.

Yes, a terminating employee should complete the Employee Termination Checklist with his/her supervisor. The checklist requires that the employee return all university property, equipment, work materials, tools, research data/material, and notes, and for reconciling outstanding expenses, fines, and other debts. The terminating employee is also responsible for returning keys, identification cards, parking hangtag, etc. The Employee Termination Checklist must be completed and returned to the HR Records Office prior to the effective date of termination.

Should an employee fail to return any university property or to pay all debts to the university with Access Services, their final paycheck will be held by the HR Records office until the completed checklist is received.

The university wants to better understand what employees’ value most in their workplace and why they leave, and therefore request that departing employees complete a confidential exit survey. If a terminating employee wishes to speak to someone in person regarding their work experience, the employee can contact the HR Service Center at 216.368.6964 or AskHR@case.edu. The feedback that employees provide is a helpful driver for organizational improvement.

If a terminating employee prefers to complete the survey online, they should review the Leaving CWRU information before they submit the exit interview survey.

General Employment

All positions that are accepting applications/ résumés are found on the Human Resources website and navigate to Employment > Career Opportunities (jobs.case.edu). Applicants may choose from a variety of categories located in the column such as department or job family (i.e. clerical, research, administrative, etc.). Applicants may also search for keywords.

Applicants should go to the HR Employment website and enter through the internal (for current university employees) or external (those not currently employed by the university) portals. The applicants will then be able to create a profile, browse open jobs, and apply online.

Applicants must apply online for each position. No other method will be accepted.

No. All interested applicants must apply online through the HR Employment website to be considered for the position. Applicants should navigate to Employment> Career Opportunities (jobs.case.edu).

A representative of the university will contact you if an interview is desired. If you would like to check on the status of your application, you may contact the HR Service center at 216.368.6964 or AskHR@case.edu.

Yes, you will need to submit an application for each position in which you are interested.

The application allows the options to attach a resume and a separate cover letter.

Once the application is submitted through the HR Employment website, you will receive an automated email response indicating your application has been received.

Applicants who were interviewed will be the first notified with the position has been filled. You can review the posting status on the Human Resources website and navigate to Employment > Career Opportunities and under the section, “Track your applications.” You may also contact the HR Service Center at 216-368-6964 to AskHR@case.edu.

Hiring Manager and/or Supervisor information is not permitted to be given to applicants. You may address any application materials to general titles (i.e. “hiring manager”, “hiring department”, etc.).

Positions may receive an overwhelming response and require time to review. Upon interest, the associated hiring department or a Human Resources Specialist will contact you to schedule the interview.

Applications remain on file for six months.

Screenings are determined according to the job exposures in the position if a full physical or health screening is necessary; health screening is required to ascertain a baseline, consist of, height, weight, blood pressure, pulse, vision, urine dipstick. Full physical procedure is the same, plus range of motion, balance, and lung peak flow meter. Additional screening requirements may be necessary determined by the position’s environment and/or risk.

Our onsite temporary agency can be reached by:

Phone: 216.368.4506 Fax: 216.368.5245 Email: 4749@kellyservices.com Website: www.kellyservices.com

All positions require the applicant to submit a resume but cover letters are usually optional. Although it is possible to type resume information in, we strongly recommend applicants have an electronic copy available to expedite the application process.

Positions are required to be posted for a minimum of five (5) business days and are usually posted for thirty (30) days.

Any computer with internet access can be used to apply (i.e. public libraries). In addition, computers are available for public use at any of the CWRU libraries and in the HR Service Center located in Crawford Hall, room 320.

It is recommended mobile devices not be used to apply for positions as they are unable to properly support the website.

If your username and/or password has been forgotten or misplaced, you can click on “Forgot Username” or “Forgot Password” on the log in screen. It will ask for the email address you used when you created an account and will email your username or send you a link to reset your password.

You application will be available only to the Human Resources Department and the hiring manager/interviewers for the specific position you applied to.

You should allow 25-30 minutes for the total process. This is expedited if you have electronic copies of your resume and cover letter that can easily be attached. If you take too long on any given page, the system will log you out (time-out). It is very important to click the “save” button frequently so that your progress is not lost if you do happen to time-out.

Applicants are able to save their applications without submitting it by clicking the “Save” button. The application can then be continued or completed at another time. It is strongly recommended applicants save frequently throughout the application process.

Yes, applicants may apply to multiple positions. Applicants will need to submit an application for each position they are interested in in order to be considered.

Applicants are unable to make changes to their application once it is submitted. Applications will need to be withdrawn and you may reapply to the job opening to include any changes.

Applications to job openings are valid until the search is closed or the position is filled.

Applicants interested in temporary employment should visit our on-site Kelly Services office located in Crawford Hall, Room 304 or call 216.368.4506.

Do not use your browser’s “back,” “forward,” or “refresh” buttons to navigate the online employment site. This may cause unexpected results including loss of data or being logged out of the system. Please use only the navigational buttons within in the site.

For best results, please use Internet Explorer 7 (or higher) or Firefox. Mac users may utilize Firefox or Safari. The application process requires Java Scrip to be enabled. If these options do not work, users may call the Help Desk at 216.368.HELP (4357) or come to Crawford Hall, room 320 to apply at the public computers.

Users should make sure they are using a preferred browser, make sure the pop-up blocker is turned off, and then clear their cache if problems persist. To clear their cache, applicants should use their browser toolbar to go to Tools > Internet Options > Delete browsing history > click okay. Both the browsing history and the cookies should be deleted. If these options do not work, users may call the Help Desk at 216.368.HELP (4357) or come to Crawford Hall, room 320 to apply at the public computers.

Hiring Supervisor

Non-employees or affiliated employees of CWRU must contact their department Human Resources Administrator (HRA) to request access.

Budget justifications may be provided within the department level approval process. The HRA will use the comments section when the pending approval notification reaches them.

Employment requisitions for staff positions are submitted through HCM. The employment requisition, job description, salary guidelines and the required processes that need to be followed can be found on the HR website.

Yes, only one requisition is required for vacant positions with the same job description. You must indicate the number of job openings on the requisition.

Email the Compensation Department and your Employment Specialist, indicating the hiring needs of your Department have changed and you wish to revise the posted position. Attach a new position description reflecting the job change.

Departments may choose to contact individuals whose applications are incomplete. If candidates fail to submit completed applications during the posting period, they will be disqualified and not considered for the position.

All applicants must apply online for each position. If applicants continue to experience problems applying through our online website, you can direct them to the HR Service Center, 216.368.6964 or contact the Help Desk at 216.368.HELP for technical assistance.

If you wish to obtain a larger diverse, qualified applicant pool, you can extend the posting date of the job, by notifying your Employment Specialist/Recruiter in the Human Resources Department.

Go into PeopleSoft, select “Recruiting,” select “Find Job Openings,” type in the “job number” and use the drop down menu to change the job status from “Open” to “Draft,” and then select “Search.” The job should appear now.

No, the ADA law does not require creating a new position or changing the fundamental purpose of the job. The law requires that we make reasonable accommodations which may include shifting non-essential duties or reassigning an employee to a vacant position for which they are qualified.

New Employee Orientation

A representative from the employment team will extend offers of employment for all staff and schedule their new employee orientation. If you are expecting to be in an upcoming orientation and have questions or concerns, please contact our employment team at 216.368.6964.

Employees in appointed positions will be required to complete their paperwork in Crawford Hall, room 320 on or before their start date. These instructions should also be communicated to the new employee by their department. They will be scheduled for orientation upon completion of the paperwork.

A full day orientation will be scheduled upon acceptance of an offer of employment. Orientations are usually offered every Monday in Crawford Hall. Staff members are required to attend from 8:30am until 4pm while faculty join orientation beginning with the benefits presentation at 1:30pm and continues until 4:00pm.

Normally you will receive all required paperwork at orientation, along with instructions on what forms are required to be filled out and when they need to be turned in. If you are starting work on a date prior to your scheduled orientation, you must visit the Human Resources Service Center to fill out necessary new hire documents prior to starting work.

Employees in appointed positions will be required to complete their paperwork in Crawford Hall, room 320 on or before their start date.

Yes. New employee orientation for staff is a full-day program.

Please bring identification documents necessary to complete the Federal 1-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) form. Human Resources can provide a list of acceptable documents, if needed.

When you come to orientation you will be given an authorization form and instructions for obtaining your Case Western Reserve University photo ID.

Employees in appointed positions will receive information on obtaining their photo ID once they have filled out their new hire paperwork and have been scheduled for orientation with Human Resources.

When you come to orientation you will be given an Authorization Form and instructions for obtaining a parking pass. Please bring information regarding your vehicle (make, model, license plate, etc.). Parking is validated for the orientation day if you park in Severance Hall Garage, Veale Garage.

Employees in appointed positions will receive information on obtaining their parking pass once they have filled out their new hire paperwork and have been scheduled for orientation with Human Resources.

Employees in appointed positions are assigned ID numbers once their new hire paperwork has been processed. Please allow 2-3 days.

New staff employees are provided ID numbers at orientation.

Follow the ‘activation wizard’ instructions to activate your CWRU Network ID on the UTech website: https://its-services.case.edu/my-case-identity/activate/

Departments must first obtain approval from Human Resources for a volunteer.

Volunteers are required to fill out the Volunteer Waiver and Release form. They will also need to complete the Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) form for exposure. Contact Human Resources to schedule an appointment at 216.368.6964.

Volunteer assignments cannot start until a criminal background check has been conducted and cleared.

General Immigration

The Office of Visa & Immigration Services & Advisors (VISA) facilitates and processes all nonimmigrant petition requests for the university. The position requirements and an individual’s previous experience and qualifications will determine the appropriate visa category. Most commonly our office requests H-1B, J-1, O-1, and TN visa status on behalf of CWRU employees requiring work visa sponsorship.

Your spouse and minor children may be eligible for dependent visa status to accompany you; however, you are responsible for preparing the application and maintaining your dependents' status. The VISA Office can assist in a limited capacity. 

Please contact the VISA Office at visa@case.edu or 216.368.6964 to determine the appropriate nonimmigrant status for the potential hire and the appropriate application procedures. 

Your direct supervisor and your department will determine the appropriateness of sponsorship, in consultation with the VISA Office. For additional information, please visit https://case.edu/visa/international-faculty-staff-scholars/lawful-permanent-resident-lpr-green-card. For questions or concerns regarding the timeline and/or process of sponsorship for permanent residence at CWRU, please contact the VISA Office at visa@case.edu or 216.368.6964.

Please contact the VISA Office at visa@case.edu to arrange an appointment to discuss your potential tax-treaty benefits.

If you are having an immigration-related emergency during normal business hours (Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm, except holidays), please contact the VISA Office at 216.368.6964. If an emergency immigration-related issue arises outside of normal business hours, please contact CWRU Public Safety at 216.368.3333. They will help you get in touch with a member of the VISA Team.

Your Form I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) and travel history can be accessed through the CBP website. Please be sure to download your Form I-94 as soon as possible after every entry to the United States, and review it to confirm it lists the correct visa status and expiration date. Please note: The expiration date listed on your Form I-94 is your last date of authorized stay in the United States. You are responsible for ensuring your Form I-94 is accurate. If you identify an error on your Form I-94, please contact the VISA Office immediately for guidance on how to correct it.

Every nonimmigrant in the United States must notify USCIS of any change of address within 10 days of the change by completing Form AR-11 by mail or online. The form can be found at the following link: https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange. Be sure to forward a copy of the address change to the VISA Office at visa@case.edu. In addition, please login to HCM to update your address in the university records.

Individuals with pending matters at USCIS can check the status of their case online at https://www.uscis.gov/ using your USCIS receipt number. Please contact the VISA Office if you do not have a copy of your receipt notice. 

The Department of State releases a Visa Bulletin each month which provides information on priority dates. Visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin.html for the current and upcoming Visa Bulletins, as well as additional information on how the visa availability process works. 

J-1 Visa

This category is for a foreign national who enters the United States for the primary purpose of conducting research, observing or consulting in connection with research projects at research institutions, corporate research facilities, museums, libraries, post-secondary accredited academic institutions or similar types of institutions. A research scholar may also teach or lecture unless disallowed by the sponsor.

The research scholar or professor’s appointment to a position shall be temporary, even if the position itself is permanent. Incidental lectures or short-term consultations are permitted with the approval of the responsible officer so long as they are directly related to the objectives of the participant's program, and do not delay the exchange program’s completion date.

The J-1 program is designed to allow the exchange visitor an enriching cross-cultural opportunity to gain mutual understanding of diverse backgrounds and customs. They will learn new skills and techniques that can be taken back to their home country to enhance the country’s growth and development.

There are many significant differences between H-1B status and the J-1 status for researchers, including professors. The most appropriate status will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Please find a general overview of the major differences between H-1B and J-1 in Visa Information.

No. The U.S. State Department does not have a system to speed up the J-1 process. Each application typically takes a month or so to process at the consular level or 90 days at the California Service Center if changing status.

It is the responsibility of the department to request an extension to a J-1 program. IHRS asks that all paperwork is in their office two weeks before the end of the appointment. To do an extension, send a new J-1 recommendation form and a new Dean’s appointment letter to IHRS.

PLEASE NOTE: Individuals in J-1 seeking a waiver of INA 212(e) must contact our office in advance of filing a waiver request, as J-1 status cannot be extended once a waiver is obtained.

No. The J-1 visa that is in the passport (entrance visa) is needed only to enter the US. The DS- 2019 an individual carries is the legal document that allows them to stay in the U.S. If the exchange visitor plans on travelling internationally for conferences, then they will need to obtain a new visa stamp before re-entering the United States. This can be renewed in the exchange visitor’s home country.

The J-1 process involves a number of steps. A faculty member needs to bring the request to the department assistant. There are a number of forms that need to be filled out by the department and the prospective exchange visitor. When these are completed, the forms are forwarded to the dean’s office for approval. The dean’s office will process an appointment letter and all the information will be forwarded to our office. When the immigration and HR services team receives the paperwork, a DS-2019 Form will be issued. This is sent by the department to the individual. They can then make an appointment with the consular office for a visa interview. It will take about one week to obtain the visa in the passport. The individual can then purchase a plane ticket. The whole process takes about 90 days. Processing times may vary due to visa wait, administrative, and/or security processing.

A J-1 visa holder can bring their dependents on a J-2 visa. A dependent is considered a spouse or a child of the J-1 holder. For each individual, our team will need the following information: Family Name, Given Name, Date of Birth, City of Birth, Country of Birth, Citizenship, and Country of Residence. It will take a few days to process the J-2 Forms that the individual will then need to use to obtain a J-2 visa stamp at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

H-1B Visa

The VISA Office cannot provide an exact time frame, as processing times vary depending on type of application and which office is adjudicating the petition. USCIS guarantees a response in 15 calendar days for petitions which are filed with premium processing; petitions filed with standard processing may take six months or longer.

The base filing fee is $460. First-time applications also require a $500 fraud detection fee. $460 is required for renewals and/or extensions. Case Western Reserve is responsible for paying the $460 and $500 fees. The premium processing fee is $1,225. The department or beneficiary may pay the premium processing fee. The department should always request separate checks payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”.

H-1B visas may be renewed as early as 6 months before the expiration date. The employee’s department should contact our team in order to initiate an H-1B renewal and/or extension. It generally takes our team 4 to 6 weeks to process an application. Paperwork for a renewal should be received by our team at least three months before the expiration date. As long as the application is submitted before the expiration date, the visa holder will remain in status for 240 days or until the application is decided, whichever comes first.

Generally speaking, H-1Bs are permitted a maximum stay of six years in the U.S. Initial appointments may not exceed three years; a minimum stay at Case Western Reserve University is one year, although requests for three years are highly encouraged, when possible.

Family members of H-1B visa holders are entitled to an H-4 visa, which allows them to live in the U.S. with their H-1B spouse or parent. In most instances, H-4 visa holders are not allowed to work while living in the U.S.

The employee should obtain a currently dated employment verification letter from Records. They may take the employment verification letter and the H-1B receipt notice to the nearest BMV to renew his/her license.


An O-1 status is for individuals that demonstrate sustained national or international acclaim for extraordinary ability in sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics.

TN Status

Trade NAFTA (TN) visas are available only to citizens of Canada and citizens of Mexico. TN status is limited to positions listed in Appendix 1603.D.1. of NAFTA.

Green Card

The first step is to start with the employee’s supervisor/principal investigator. The employee must have departmental backing. If an employee is eligible for university-sponsored permanent residency, the department must obtain written authorization from the dean of the respective school the employee works in. Our team will assign the employee’s permanent residency case to outside counsel that has been vetted and approved by the university once we receive written authorization from the dean’s office. The department must provide the dean’s office with the speed type where funds can be withdrawn to pay outside counsel. Employees may not pick an attorney of his/her choosing for university-sponsored petitions. Outside counsel will determine the best route to permanent residency for the employee. Postdoctoral/J-1 positions are not eligible for university-sponsored permanent residency.

An individual may use their own attorney when pursuing a self-filed petition such as an EB-1A (EB-12) Individuals of Extraordinary Ability petition or a National Interest Waiver (NIW) petition; however, any application filed by Case Western Reserve University on behalf of an employee must be prepared and filed by approved outside counsel and should only be signed by the Office of Immigration and HR Services.

The process will vary for each individual depending on the permanent residency avenue that is selected.

OPT / STEM Extension

Individuals who are authorized by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service to accept employment in their academic field (or a closely-related discipline) for a maximum of twelve months.

If an employee is eligible for a STEM extension, they must contact the International Student Services office at the institution where the employee received their degree to renew.

General Professional Development

The PDC’s curriculum focuses on the professional development needs of staff and faculty of CWRU. These courses and learning opportunities are intended to provide guidance and structure to individual contributors and supervisors to foster personal and professional growth by intentionally contributing to a high-performance culture at CWRU. There are also on-demand training opportunities with our external partners: Academic Impressions, LinkedIn Learning, and IMPACT Solutions.

Click here for more information about up and coming live trainings and how to register. 

You will register through CampusGroups by sign in with your CaseID. You can search for HR Professional Development Center on CampusGroups to find our current training offerings. Our Training Page also provides a schedule and links to register as well.

Each training session will be virtual unless noted otherwise. Some training sessions are geared towards supervisors (as some are a part of the supervisor certificate) but the topics are often valuable and applicable to any employee on campus. Each training is set to last approximately 1 hour and are intended to be approachable to all beginners of the topic while offering something new or refreshing for those of more advanced competency levels. There will also be opportunities to engage with the content and fellow participants in each training session.

Start by attending a session that counts towards the certificate. Live training sessions count unless otherwise noted. After participating in the training session you will then complete the survey & assessment at the end (takes approx. 5 minutes to complete). This will be sent at the end of the training as well as in an email after the training. You have one week to do the assessment. Visit HERE to review all requirements.

The Professional Development Center is responsible for tracking participation and assessment scores. Once an assessment for a specific course is completed, the Professional Development Center will score it within one week and send the results via email. To monitor your personal progress, please make use of this provided template.

Once you have completed all the requirements for the certificate, you can expect to receive your certificate via email in 1-2 weeks. After that period, if you believe you have completed the requirements & have not received your certificate please reach out to the Training & Development Manager.

Most training sessions that are produced and facilitated by the PDC will be offered again. Some sessions are hosted by our partnering offices tend to be offered again as well, but we cannot guarantee the availability. Sign up for the PDC Newsletter to be the first to hear when we post our new training schedules. The PDC tends to operate on the semester model, expect to hear about trainings in the month before a new semester. Trainings are not recorded but you can reach out to find if we have any on demand resources for you to utilize in the meantime.

After registering in CampusGroups, you will be prompted to add the training session to your virtual calendar. Once you add the training to your calendar, the Zoom link will automatically populate in the calendar event. 

If you pre-registered, the zoom link will also be sent the morning of the training session via email.

Staff Mediation

A confidential, semi-structured process in which participants, with the help of a mediator, collaborate in good faith to resolve work-related disputes by sharing perspectives, identifying issues, considering possible solutions, and reaching a mutually agreeable solution.

Mediation is:
  • A way to structure difficult conversations.
  • A place for parties in conflict to reach a mutually agreeable compromise and/or solution.
Mediation is not:
  • Arbitration. In arbitration, the parties in conflict agree to present their case to an impartial third party, or arbitrator, who makes a final, binding decision. In mediation, actions and agreements are reached by the parties in conflict with the mediator acting as a facilitator to the discussion.
  • Therapy or counseling. The mediator is not a licensed therapist or counselor, but is instead simply facilitating the conversation between parties in conflict.
  • A guarantee. It is possible participants might quit the mediation, make agreements they have no intention of following through on, or might not reach an agreement at all.

Staff mediation services are available to all CWRU staff members. Faculty members should reach out to the Faculty Conciliation and Mediation Program.

The mediator is a neutral third party who facilitates conversations between participants to help them hear and understand each other, identify underling issues, and reach a mutually agreeable solution to those issues. The mediator does not take sides, offer solutions, investigate the situation, or impose a resolution.

A staff member who is experiencing conflict contacts the mediator and asks for a mediation consultation. The mediator will meet privately with the requesting party to determine the nature of the conflict and explore possible options for resolving it. If mediation is desired and appropriate, the mediator will contact the other party to determine their interest in mediation. If both parties agree to mediation, the mediator will explain the process, address any questions or concerns, and coordinate the meeting.

  • Personal or professional disputes among staff members
  • Issues of respect and coordination
  • Communication, performance, and/or management issues

If you are unsure if your issue is appropriate for mediation, the mediator will be happy to discuss it with you by phone or in person.

  • Policy issues
  • Current or pending legal actions
  • Discrimination charges or lawsuits
  • Administrative charges or lawsuits alleging harassment or retaliation on a protected basis
  • When there is a threat of violence, to self or others
  • Concerns relating to serious violations of rights or regulations

If you are unsure if your issue is appropriate for mediation, the mediator will be happy to discuss it with you by phone or in person.

  • Mediation aims to give people a safe setting in which to engage in honest, respectful communication which helps resolve most misunderstandings.
  • Mediation is interests-based and encourages participants to work together to best solve the problem being discussed. Since participants, not the mediator or anyone else, decide how to best solve the problem, they are more likely to follow the agreed upon solution.
  • Even if no agreement is reached, participants usually leave having a clearer understanding of the issues and of each other.

No. Mediation is a voluntary process and must be entered into willingly by all participants. You may make employees aware that this is a service available to them, but may not require them to participate in it.

Under Ohio law, the content of a mediation is confidential, with some exceptions. Only the names of the individuals involved, meeting dates, and whether a resolution was reached will be disclosed to administrative departments with legitimate business needs. Additionally, a copy of the Mediation Agreement will be kept by the mediator for their records, but will be kept confidential.

Yes, the grievance process is still available if a staff employee believes that Human Resources policies and procedures are not being properly applied to their workplace situation or a specific violation of Human Resources policies has occurred.

No. Participants will be asked to suspend any grievance process when they begin mediation and have the option to restart it once mediation is complete. However, participants may not bring agreements reached in mediation to Employee Relations as a grievance. For example, if after the mediation is completed one party does not follow the mediation agreement, the other party may not use that as a basis for a grievance issue.

Contact AskHR@case.edu for more information about mediation processes. 

Employee Information

Verbal verifications are not permitted. You can have them contact the HR Service Center in writing via fax at 216.368.4678 or via email at AskHR@case.edu.

Personal information (such as salary, age, race, etc.) is considered to be private and is unable to be released.

Yes. You will need to call the Records Department at 216.368.3270 to schedule an appointment.

Employees can update their addresses by logging into HCM and going to Main Menu > Self Service > Personal Information > Home and Mailing Address. This will automatically feed over into the benefits, TIAA, and Vanguard websites. Employees should contact the Service Center if the employee has Dentemax or VSP as these need to be updated manually. The employee must update Plan B on Milliman’s website.

Former employees who left CWRU less than one (1) year ago can email AskHR@case.edu in order to have their information updated. Former employees should be able to update their address for their retirement accounts by visiting the carrier’s website directly.

You will need to submit a Change of Personal Information form along with your new social security card before your name can be changed in the system. If the change is a result of marriage or divorce, you will also need to submit a copy of your marriage certificate or divorce decree.


Employees can either contact the HR Service Center at 216.368.6964 or the Payroll Department directly at 216.368.4290 or 216.368.4291. The Payroll office is located in the Bioenterprise Building.


Direct deposit information can be entered and/or updated by logging into HCM and going to Main Menu > Self Service > Payroll and Compensation > Direct Deposit.

You will need to visit the Cashier’s office in Yost 135 with your ID in order to have your account reset.

You will need to notify payroll by phone at 216.368.4290 or via email at payroll@case.edu prior to the payroll cutoff for that pay period. Your check will be mailed to your home address for that pay until your new deposit goes into effect.

Access HCM and go to Main Menu > Self Service > Payroll and Compensation > View Paycheck.

Access HCM and go to Main Menu > Self Service > Payroll and Compensation > View Paycheck. Select the paycheck you would like to print and click on the “Printer Friendly Version” link on the page.

You are able to change your federal withholdings by logging into HCM and going to Main Menu > Self Service > Payroll and Compensation > W-4 Tax Information.

In order to change withholdings for the state taxes you will need to fill out the physical form found in the HR Service Center or on the IRS website.

You are able to make changes to your marital status on your federal tax forms by logging into HCM and going to Main Menu > Self Service > Payroll and Compensation > W-4 Tax Information.

In order to change your marital status for the state taxes you will need to fill out the physical form found in the HR Service Center or on the appropriate state website.

W-2 Forms have to be postmarked by January 31 of the current year.

Yes. You will need to log into HCM and go to Main Menu > Self Service > Payroll and Compensation > W-2/W-2c Forms.

Current employees will need to log into HCM and go to Main Menu > Self Service > Payroll and Compensation > W-2/W-2c Forms > View a Different Tax Year.

Former employees will need to contact Payroll at 216.368.4290 or via payroll@case.edu to request copies of previous year’s W-2s.

Normal pay rate plus time and one half after they have worked forty (40) hours for the workweek. For 37.5 hour/week employees, the first 2.5 hours will be at the normal rate of pay.

Incentive Programs

The Wellness Monthly Incentive is a $25 monthly payment awarded to medical plan participants who complete three wellness activities on or before November 30th annually. Staff who receive paychecks twice a month will receive $12.50 in each paycheck. The wellness activities are the Health Risk Assessment, and at least two of these three activities: Biometric Screening, Primary Care Provider Attestation and/ or Tobacco Attestation Form. The incentive encourages people to learn about their health and to identify steps to improve well-being. In addition, those activities help the university evaluate health and wellness needs of faculty and staff. Recipients of the Wellness Monthly Incentive are considered “Wellness Participants.” (Please Note: Wellness earnings are taxable)

More information can be found on the Faculty & Staff Wellness website.

The Wellness Program Incentive is a $100 (for one program) or $200 (for two programs) payment available to Wellness Participants throughout the year, in addition to the $25 monthly Wellness Premium Incentive. Those Wellness Participants who meet participation guidelines for one or two of the six areas during the current calendar year (e.g., physical activity, weight management or nutrition, stress management, community, financial well-being and tobacco cessation) are able to attest and certify online that they are eligible to receive a $100 or $200 incentive in their paycheck at the end of the calendar year by going to PeopleSoft HCM, clicking on the Wellness Tile, then selecting “Wellness Program Completion” from the menu on the left, and then navigating to the tab for the specific program area. Programs and forms must be completed no later than November 30th annually/ (Please Note: Wellness earnings are taxable)

Each year, by Nov. 30th, you must complete the relevant program incentive form by going to PeopleSoft HCM, clicking on the Wellness Tile, then selecting “Wellness Program Completion” from the menu on the left, and then navigating to the tab for the specific program area. Complete the forms that represent the healthy behaviors you have participated in to attest that you are eligible to receive the incentive(s). Read each form, check the applicable response box and make sure you click the “save” button at the bottom to complete the form.

Each fall, all benefits-eligible faculty and staff can complete any of the health screenings and assessments, and any of the programs, offered by the Wellness Department to learn more about their health. However, only faculty and staff covered by a university medical plan AND who complete all three wellness activities will receive incentives. See the Faculty & Staff Wellness FAQ page for more information.

The university offers wellness activities to encourage healthy behaviors. Over time, changes in behavior should improve health and lower use of health care resources. That can mean significant savings for a self-insured university because fewer health care expenses should be incurred over time. Any resulting decrease in health care expenses is a benefit for the university and to the individual in lowering expenses associated with the medical benefit plan. Other faculty and staff not covered by the Benelect program likely have similar programs available to them through their benefits plans.

The university receives an aggregated, de-identified summary report of Biometric Screening and Health Risk Assessment data. This information serves a dual purpose: It helps the university better understand the current health and well-being of participating faculty and staff, and it serves an evaluative purpose annually so the university can determine changes in health status over time. See the Faculty & Staff Wellness FAQ page for more information.

The university will not have access to individual results from the Biometric screenings or Health Risk Assessment. The university will only receive de-identified, aggregated data regarding the participant population. See the Faculty & Staff Wellness FAQ page for more information.

The university will only receive de-identified, aggregated data from Quest Diagnostics for the Biometric Screenings completed. We will receive only de-identified, aggregated data from Staywell for the Health Risk Assessments completed. See the Faculty & Staff Wellness FAQ page for more information.

Participation + Eligibility

During each orientation session for new hires, the wellness program is explained and handouts are provided that describe each of the wellness activities and how those adding medical coverage can participate. Between January and June of each year, new hires to the university have the first 30 days of their employment to complete each of the three activities to qualify for the monthly Wellness Premium Incentive. They will then have the opportunity to meet participation guidelines in the four Wellness Program Incentive areas to obtain additional incentive(s) if they wish. New hires to the university between July and December each year can participate in the fall wellness activities to receive the Wellness Premium Incentives in the next calendar year.

Check out the Wellness Program Checklist.

You have the first 30 days of your coverage period to complete the annual wellness activities and become eligible for the Monthly Wellness Incentive. Faculty or staff members adding Benelect medical coverage between July and December can participate in the fall wellness activities to receive the Wellness Premium Incentives in the next calendar year.

A reasonable alternative standard is available for people who are not able to meet the participation requirements for the wellness program. If an eligible person is on leave during the annual fall participation period, they may request an extension for participation or some other type of accommodation by contacting the university’s medical director at erc10@case.edu.

All benefits-eligible faculty and staff may participate in our wellness programming. Those who do not select CWRU health coverage will not be eligible for the monetary incentives but are welcome to participate in programming like Meditation class, Weight Watchers or Selfhelpworks online programming.

A reasonable alternative standard is available for those unable to meet participation requirements for the wellness program. If you are on leave during the annual fall participation period, you can request an extension for participation or other accommodation by contacting Elizabeth Click, the university’s medical director, at erc10@case.edu.

You are unable to receive incentives, but you are welcome to complete the Health Risk Assessment and Biometric Screening process. In addition, you are able to register for the on-site or on-line classes like S.M.A.R.T., Meditation and Healthy Backs and Bodies. See the Faculty & Staff Wellness FAQ page for more information.

Your unique ID is your CWRU Network ID—the series of letters and numbers you use for email purposes (e.g., abc123).

Currently, spouses are not eligible for the incentive. Only the primary covered employee is able to obtain the monthly Wellness Premium Incentive. However, employee spouses can participate in the Biometric Screening, Health Risk Assessment and in any other wellness programs and services. See the Faculty & Staff Wellness FAQ page for more information.

Yes. Each university employee with primary medical insurance coverage can complete the annual wellness activities and then receive the Monthly Wellness Incentive.

To confirm your participation in the three wellness activities, log onto PeopleSoft HCM, click on the Wellness Tile, then select “Wellness Summary” from the menu on the left side of the page.

You will see the annual wellness activities listed in the Monthly Wellness Incentive section. When the box next to each is checked and a date has been entered on the adjacent lines, you will know the university has confirmed your completion. You will see the six Wellness Program Incentive categories listed next. When the box next to each is checked and a date has been entered on the adjacent lines, you will know the university has confirmed your completion of those forms.

Please email Mary Ann Dobbins with any questions about the university’s wellness programs and incentives. See Faculty & Staff Wellness FAQ page for more information.

Computers are accessible in the HR Service Center, Crawford Hall, room 320 between 8:30am – 5pm. Alternatively, you can access computers in the Kelvin Smith Library on campus.

If you are not comfortable using a computer to complete the three wellness activities, a computer is available during the fall Benelect open enrollment period in Crawford Hall, Room 209. A Benefits representative will be present to assist you in completing all online activities associated with the wellness program.

Contact Mary Ann Dobbins by email or (216) 368-5997 to schedule a time for her to help you complete the forms. See Faculty & Staff Wellness FAQ page for more information.

Biometric Screening

Screenings—conducted for the university by Quest Diagnostics Inc.—include blood pressure, height, weight, waist circumference, cholesterol and glucose tests. Each fall, on-site screenings are available by appointment. Faculty and staff may also schedule off-site appointments at a Quest Patient Service Center or submit results via the Physician Response Form available on the Quest website if their primary care provider collected all screening results after April of that calendar year. See the Faculty & Staff Wellness FAQ page for more information.

Screenings are conducted in a variety of buildings on campus to meet the needs of faculty and staff, and also can be conducted off-site at a Quest Patient Service Center. View the Biometric Screening page for current on-site screening locations.

Check the Biometric Screening page for scheduling information or go to the Quest Diagnostics website.

Log onto the CWRU Quest Wellness site by using your Single Sign On. Please contact the Quest Customer Support Center at 855-623-9355 if you have difficulty scheduling an appointment. Additional information is available via email at Wellness@QuestDiagnostics.com. See Faculty & Staff Wellness FAQ page for more information.

You may schedule an appointment at a Quest Patient Service Center (PSC) on the Quest Diagnostics website. Find a location near you and use the registration key: CWRU.

If you encounter any problems, call Quest Customer Support Center at 866.908.9440.

You will receive an email within three to five days of your screening (if you provided your email address when you registered or you added it later). You also will receive results by mail within two to three weeks.

The university’s program is participation, rather than outcome-based. That means that you just need to participate in the screening process to be eligible for the monthly Wellness Premium Incentive.

The Physician Response Form can be submitted to your primary care provider if you have had all screening tests conducted since April 1 of this calendar year.

Log onto the Quest Website and select the Physician Results Form option from the site. Print the form for your physician and make sure it is completely filled out before it is faxed or uploaded back to Quest. Never send completed Physician Results Forms to CWRU Wellness or HR.

It is your responsibility to make sure your health care provider has submitted the form prior to the deadline. All forms submitted after the deadline will not be counted. See Faculty & Staff Wellness FAQ page for more information.

Fasting for nine to 12 hours prior to the blood collection is required. Take any regularly scheduled medications as usual. Drinking water is permissible and recommended during the fasting period.

The biometric screening is available free of charge to all benefits-eligible faculty and staff at the university.

Once you have participated in the screening, it may take up to four to six weeks for the university to receive confirmation. You can check to see whether confirmation of participation has been received by going to PeopleSoft HCM, clicking on the Wellness Tile, then selecting “Wellness Summary” from the menu on the left side of the page. At the bottom of that page, you will see each of the three wellness activities listed. Once the box next to Screening is checked and a date has been entered on the adjacent line, you will know the university has confirmed your participation in the screening.

Tobacco Attestation

The Tobacco Attestation Form asks employees to attest and certify to their current use or lack of tobacco use. The form can be found on the Wellness Tile within HCM. Please read through the form and choose one answer choice. Verify that the "Benefit Year" indicated is the NEXT year and click the “save” button. You will have then submitted the form.

Your completion of the form can be immediately confirmed by going to PeopleSoft HCM, clicking on the Wellness Tile, then selecting “Wellness Summary” from the menu on the left side of the page. At the bottom of that page, you will see each of the three wellness activities listed. When the box next to the Tobacco Attestation Form is checked, you will know the university has confirmed your submission of the form.

It should take anywhere from two to five minutes.

The form can be found on the Wellness Tile within HCM.

Be honest; indicate that on the Tobacco Attestation Form. To complete all requirements to obtain the monthly Wellness Premium Incentive, you must participate in a tobacco-cessation program, but quit status at the end of the cessation program is not a requirement.

Once you have completed a majority of the sessions in a multi-week group or individual cessation program, please contact Elizabeth Click, Medical Director. You will then begin to receive the monthly Wellness Premium Incentive (if you completed the other two activities by November 30th of the previous year). See Faculty & Staff Wellness FAQ page for more information.

To obtain the Tobacco Cessation Program Incentive, you must:

  1. indicate whether or not you currently use tobacco on the Tobacco Attestation Form.
  2. tobacco users need to participate in the majority of sessions in a group or individual cessation program; and
  3. report the completion of that program by contacting Elizabeth Click, Medical Director.

See Faculty & Staff Wellness FAQ page for more information.

Your completion of the form will be recorded immediately. You can confirm this by going to PeopleSoft HCM, clicking on the Wellness Tile, then selecting “Wellness Summary” from the menu on the left side of the page. At the bottom of that page, you will see each of the three wellness activities listed. Once the box next to Tobacco Attestation is checked, you will know the university has confirmed your submission of the form.

Overtime/Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)

Employees are classified as either exempt or non-exempt depending on their salary and the type of work or duties they perform. The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires that non-exempt employees must receive at least the federally mandated minimum wage pay per hour worked within a work week. When non-exempt employees work more than 40 hours within a fixed, seven-day period, those employees must be paid 1.5 times their regular rate of pay for every hour beyond 40.

Exempt employees are ineligible for overtime pay for hours worked over 40 in a workweek (a workweek is a fixed seven consecutive calendar days). Exempt employees are expected to work as much time as is needed to fulfill their responsibilities without an expectation of overtime or additional pay. As a result, exempt employees are paid on a salaried, not hourly, basis. In addition, in most cases (as discussed below), employees must earn above a specific annual salary threshold and perform certain types of duties, (as defined in the FLSA regulations) to be classified as exempt.

Yes, as long as it is within the same work week (Sunday-Saturday).

No. Pursuant to university policy, the work week is defined as 12:01 am on Sunday and ending midnight the following Saturday.

Yes, your supervisor can flex your time so long as it is within the same work week. For instance, if someone works an evening event on a Tuesday, resulting in 4 extra hours of work, then the person could come in 4 hours later the next day or leave 4 hours early on Friday, etc. It must be within the same work week.

No, your supervisor cannot offer “comp time” in lieu of overtime pay. Comp time is not permitted under the Fair Labor Standards ACT. However, if what is meant by “comp time” is flexing someone’s schedule, that can be done so long as it is within the same work week.

Yes, so long as the off-duty time in between shifts is sufficiently long enough to allow the employee to use that time effectively for his/her personal pursuits.

Primary Care Provider Attestation

This form, housed within HCM, asks faculty and staff to truthfully state whether they have a designated Primary Care Provider and whether they have had or will have a primary care visit this year. (Deadline is November 30th annually.)

The form can be found by going to: PeopleSoft HCM and navigating to the Wellness Tile and clicking on "Primary Care Provider Attestation" on the menu on the left side of the screen. The form is open each fall from September 1 through November 30.

Your completion of the form can be immediately confirmed by going to PeopleSoft HCM and navigating to the Wellness Tile, then clicking on "Wellness Summary" on the menu on the left side of the page. There are tabs for Current, Prior and Future Benefit year on the top of the page. New hires will see the "Completed Attestation Form" check mark under the Current Year tab, those completing the form in the fall will find the check mark on the Future Year tab.

It should take anywhere from one to three minutes.

The CWRU Benelect providers, Anthem and Medical Mutual, offer help to locate a provider close to your home or the office.