General Information

Human Resources has full authority and the corresponding complete responsibility for ensuring applicable labor and immigration law compliance. Only HR personnel are authorized to file immigration-related and employer-specific applications and petitions with the appropriate government agencies. Accordingly, any requests, to sign any of the aforementioned documents, by any university employee on behalf of any foreign national, must be directed to Human Resources’ Office of Immigration and Human Resource Services (IHRS).

If you have any questions about a document you are asked to sign that is employer specific to the University and that is on behalf of a foreign national, please contact us at 216.368.6964.

Office hours are 8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday - Friday

HR/Immigration provides customer service to general walk-ins during business hours. However, because of the complex nature in many of customer immigration inquiries, it is highly recommended to schedule a one-on-one, uninterrupted appointment with an HR/Immigration team member. Appointments may be scheduled by calling the HR Service Center at 216.368.6964. 

Email for more information or to get started.

USCIS Information

If you have a pending matter with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you can check the status of your case online at myUSCIS: Case Status Check. You will need the receipt number for your application, which can be found in the upper left-hand corner of your application receipt notice.

Immigration and Nationality Act

Every non-immigrant in the United States is legally required to notify USCIS of any change of address within 10 days of the change. The required Change of Address Form can be completed online or via paper form.  

To access the online or paper form, please visit USCIS at You must also forward a copy to the Office of Immigration and Human Resource Services (Crawford Hall, 320 Suite, LC7047 or and the HR Records Office (Crawford Hall, Suite 220, LC7047 or

Tax Treaty Information

There are many tax treaties between the United States and other countries. To read about a specific tax treaty you can look at this publication issued by the IRS. Publication 901, U.S, Tax Treaties.

Visa Stamping Appointments

Before entering the United States, many of our international employees and exchange visitors have to obtain visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate or U.S. Embassy abroad. The length of time it takes to get a visa for the U.S. varies from post to post. View the Visa Wait Times page through the U.S. Department of State to determine the wait time at your post.

Employment Authorization

If you are eligible to apply for Employment Authorization, you may fill out the I-765 application form and mail it to the appropriate filing center. The current filing fee is $410.00, and the check should be made payable to: “U.S. Department of Homeland Security.”

Honoraria Payments

Please see the instructions for Honoraria payments.


Volunteers are individuals who donate time and services with no expectation of a return in goods, services or compensation. If these conditions are met, an individual will not be subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).

If the economic reality, however, indicates the ostensible volunteer is really an employee, dependent on the employer, then the FLSA applies (Refer to the Non-CWRU Employees (Independent Contractors, Volunteers, Interns, and Temporary Employees Policy). Supervisors who are contacted by prospective volunteers should refer them to the Employment office for processing of the Volunteer Waiver and Release Form.