Leaving CWRU

Planning to Retire?

If you plan to retire from Case Western Reserve University, use the resources below to learn more about the retirement process.

If you are terminating your employment at Case Western Reserve University, there are a few items to remember to ensure the process goes smoothly. If you are an employee in good standing, you should give your supervisor at least two weeks notice for a voluntary termination.  Staff members who give insufficient notice of termination are not eligible for reemployment.

After giving two weeks notice, you must:

Should an employee fail to return any university property or to pay all debts to the university, the university may deduct from the employee’s final paycheck an amount equal to the debts owed to the university, an amount equal to the reasonable value to the property not returned, or both. In addition, an employee’s final paycheck will be held in the Records Office of Human Resources until the completed checklist is received.

Exit Interview

Case Western Reserve wants to better understand what employees value most in their workplace and why they leave and therefore request that you complete a confidential exit survey.

If you wish to speak to someone in person regarding your work experience, you can contact the HR Service Center at 216.368.6964 or AskHR@case.edu. Feedback is a helpful driver for organizational improvement.

Complete and submit the Exit Interview Survey.

Final Paycheck

Final pay will be in the form of a check and will be issued no later than the next normal payday. You can pick up your final paycheck at the Records Office on the determined pay date, or it will be mailed on the next business day.

The final paycheck will include unpaid work time, overtime due and the balance of unused vacation days. Deductions from the final check will be made for benefits contributions, docked time, outstanding expenses and fines.


W2s must be postmarked by January 31st and will be mailed to the mailing address on file on/or before January 31st.

Access to Computing Resources

In most cases, access to all university computing resources, including network password and ID, will discontinue the date of termination or last day worked.

Updating Personal Information

You should update all personal information (including home and mailing addresses, home phone number, home email address, and emergency contact information) in HCM prior to the effective date of termination. Contact the Records Office in Human Resources at 216.368.3271 if there is a relevant change in personal information after the effective date of termination.