Infection and Exposure Processes

Updated Feb. 16, 2023

Please follow the guidance below if you show symptoms, test positive or are exposed to COVID-19.

I have symptoms of COVID-19

If you have symptoms of COVID-19, please stay home and take a rapid antigen test. If your test is negative and you do not have a fever*, you may return to campus while wearing a well-fitting mask. If your symptoms persist, you should plan to take additional rapid antigen tests at least twice over the next three days if your tests are negative. (*If you have a fever, you will need to stay home until you have been fever-free for at least 24 hours.)

Students with symptoms may contact Health Services for PCR testing, additional guidance and/or medical care. Appointments can be made through

Faculty and staff with symptoms may contact Health Services during clinic hours for PCR testing (216.368.2450) and return to work guidance. They should contact their primary care provider for medical care.

I tested positive for COVID-19

Please report your positive test by logging into, selecting “Send or Read Secure Message,” clicking “New Message,” and then selecting “I want to report a positive test”.

After you report your positive test, you will receive a secure message with isolation instructions that include guidelines for when you can end your isolation:

  • Plan to isolate for 10 days and return to campus activities on day 11. This isolation guidance from the CDC can help you to calculate your 10-day period.
  • You may leave isolation sooner—on or after day 6—if you have a negative rapid antigen test, your symptoms are improving, and you do not have a fever.

While we do continue to recommend a negative rapid antigen test for those who leave isolation sooner than day 11, you no longer need to submit the negative rapid antigen test result. 

When you meet the criteria to leave isolation, you may return to campus activities, including classes and/or work. If you have ended isolation before day 10, you will need to wear a well-fitting mask when you are around others until the 10 days are completed. Please note, no return to campus documentation is needed and will not be routinely provided. If documentation is required (for example for Health Science students on rotation), please send a secure message to Nurse Isolation through

The isolation letter you receive can be shared with faculty, navigators, supervisors, and others as needed. Automatic notifications to others (including Dean of Students, navigators, supervisors, HR) will no longer be provided. 

Isolation support for students living on campus

Students living on campus will isolate in their residence halls.

*Please note that healthy roommates/suitemates will no longer be offered separate housing. Healthy roommates/suitemates should follow the guidelines for individuals exposed to COVID as below.

Meal delivery and dedicated pick-up locations will no longer be provided:

  • Students on the meal plan may order a grab-and-go option through GrubHub, pick it up while wearing a well-fitting mask, and return to their residence hall to eat. If a student is too ill to leave to pick up a meal, please follow these instructions to have a friend pick up your meal.
  • Students not on the meal plan may use UberEats, Instacart or other delivery services.

Students who have concerns about obtaining food may be eligible for financial assistance; please complete a student emergency fund request form.

Medical care

Students with COVID who need medical care have a number of options:

  • Make an appointment through; appointments can be made anytime and will occur during clinic hours (generally Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.)
  • Have a telemedicine appointment with TimelyCare
  • Call 216.368.2450 for medical advice.

Faculty and staff should contact their primary medical providers for medical care.

For emergencies, call 216.368.3333 on-campus, or 911 off-campus.

I was exposed to COVID-19

UHCS does not send broad exposure notifications to classes, labs, teams, Greek houses or other groups. Students, faculty and staff are responsible for notifying their closest contacts.

If you have been exposed to COVID-19, please follow the CDC guidance, including:

  • Wearing a well-fitting mask for 10 days after the last exposure; AND
  • Monitoring for symptoms for 10 days after the last exposure; AND
  • Getting tested for COVID-19 at least 5 days after the last exposure.

Where do I obtain a COVID test?

Rapid antigen tests

Rapid antigen tests can be found at vending machines across campus, while supply is available. Please note that the vending machines are re-stocked once a day, on weekdays only. Rapid antigen tests can also be purchased at local pharmacies or Amazon.

Students, faculty, and staff can also pick up a rapid antigen test at Health Services, Clinic C, Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Health Services is closed from noon to 1 p.m.). Clinic C is located at 2124 Cornell Road, on the first floor of the Dental Research Building.

PCR tests

Saliva PCR tests are no longer available through CWRU. If you have symptoms, please follow the guidelines above. If you need a PCR test for travel, tests may be available for a fee at local pharmacies, airports, or travel services.
Free COVID testing can be located using this tool from the CDC.