On average, interns see 8 individual client hours per week; however, as a college counseling center, out client flow is strongly influenced by the academic schedule and can vary significantly depending on the time of year. Indivudal counseling is done primarily through short-term counseling. Individual counseling hours include scheduled client appointments and same day appointments. Interns are expected to demonstrate the ability to:
- Establish and maintain relationshops of psychological services.
- Develop evidence-based intervention plans specific t the servce delivery goals.
- Implement interventions informed by the current scientific literature, assessment findings, diversity characteristics, and contextual variables.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply the relevant research literature to clinical decision-base lacking.
- Evaluate intervention effectiveness, and adapt intervention goals and methods consistent with ongoing evaluation.
Trainees may have the opportunity to co-facilitate one group during the Fall or Spring semester. Groups typically offered include process groups and psychoeducational workshops. This opportunity varies depending on student demand and staffing.
Consultation and Outreach
Interns perfomroutreach and consultation services to the campus community, although the frequency and duration of these activities varies consdierably. Outreach activities might include tabling events, presentations, avaiability to provide support at emotionally activating campus events, or large mental health diagnostic sscreening events. Outreach activities are performed on an as-needed basis and are not consistent from week to week.