Eligible* students are automatically enrolled in CWRU's Student Medical Plan and the fee has been placed on your account. However, if you currently have health insurance coverage comparable to the Student Medical Plan, you may elect to waive this fee. View health waiver criteria to see if your coverage is comparable
*Per the Student Medical Plan, eligibility is defined as:
- Students of Case Western Reserve University registered for at least one credit hour, except for virtual and online students.
- Persons associated with special programs on the campus of Case Western Reserve University may be eligible as determined by the University.
- Students of the Cleveland Institute of Art and the Cleveland Institute of Music registered for one or more credit hours.
If you have insurance comparable to the Student Medical Plan, you may waive the coverage. It is each student's responsibility to ensure that their alternate coverage is adequate.
- If you are a Case Western Reserve student, you can waive the Student Medical Plan on the Student Information System (SIS) in the Finance section of the Student Center.
- If you are a student from CIA and CIM, you must submit a waiver form to your individual school.
- Learn more about the health waiver process
Yes! The Student Information System is designed to waive the Medical Plan for both the fall and spring term when you are registering for fall term.
Yes! If you are only taking classes in the spring, you will be able to waive the Medical Plan when registering for the spring term. Please note this waiver will only be active for the spring term.
Yes! Students enrolled in one or more credit hours are eligible to be seen at Health and Counseling Services.
Yes! As long as the reason is due to a qualifying event.
A qualifying event is described as the follow:
- Reaching the age limit of another health insurance plan;
- Loss of health insurance through a marriage of divorce;
- Involuntary loss of coverage from another health insurance plan.
No. You will need to pay a prorated amount. To obtain this information, please contact the Student Medical Plan department at 216.368.3049.