Case Western Reserve University is committed to supporting the continuation of the research endeavor to the greatest extent possible.
Members of the university's research community are encouraged to use this page to find up-to-date information on the policies and process required to conduct research.
As was the case in the fall, the majority of federal agencies require the continuation of research activities if the sponsored research agreement is to remain in effect and if costs are reimbursed.
Faculty may perform their research remotely to the extent they can continue to advance their research objectives and to the extent consistent with any sponsored research requirements. However, if a physical presence on campus is required under the research agreement, but the faculty member is unable to be on campus, then it will be critical to discuss options with the program officer and/or research sponsor, as well as with the research officers within the schools or college.
Faculty Laboratories and Core Service
Faculty laboratories and cores are open for research as long as they have an approved operations plan.
Undergraduates may participate in research in a faculty member’s laboratory as long as they have been included in the approved operations plan.
Restrictions on visitors remain, unless authorized by the school or college. Departments and core facilities should request permission prior to the visit. Please coordinate with your research dean for the procedure for your school or college.
Under the current COVID-19 conditions, CWRU supports the continuation of approved on- and off-campus human subjects research.
You must follow the approval process:
- Complete the CWRU Safety Plan: Checklist for Human Subjects Research Activities and submit it to your dean for approval.
- Submit completed CWRU Safety Plan to Katie Brancato, chief of staff to the president.
- The President’s Office will submit the form to Sara Lee, executive director of University Health and Counseling Services, for review and approval.
- Dr. Lee will respond to the investigator with questions or concerns.
- Forms approved by Dr. Lee will be sent to the IRB via the SpartaIRB electronic protocol system by attaching it to the corresponding protocol.
- The IRB will review the submitted form and ask for clarification and revisions to protocols if necessary. The IRB will return the approved form to the investigator.
- Human subject research can begin following the approved plan.