General Information

The Department of Human Resources (HR) is committed to providing the University community with the most comprehensive recruitment, hiring, and employee retention information and services. This commitment extends to all employment matters, foreign and domestic.

Because HR has full authority and the corresponding complete responsibility for ensuring applicable labor and immigration law compliance, only HR personnel are authorized to file immigration related and employer specific applications and petitions with the appropriate government agencies. Accordingly, any requests, to sign any of the aforementioned documents, by any university employee on behalf of any foreign national, must be directed to HR’s Office of Immigration and Human Resource Services (IHRS).

If you have any questions about a document you are asked to sign that is employer specific to the University and that is on behalf of a foreign national, please contact HR at 216 368 6964.

Honoraria Payments

Please see this link for instructions for Honoraria payments.

J1 Orientation Presentation

IHRS offers an orientation for new J1 scholars. These will be offered every six weeks. If a J1 scholar is unable to make it to an orientation, they can review the powerpoint presentation; J1 Orientation Presentation


Volunteers are individuals who donate time and services with no expectation of a return in goods, services or compensation. If these conditions are met, an individual will not be subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). If the economic reality, however, indicates the ostensible volunteer is really an employee, dependent on the employer, then the FLSA applies (Refer to Policy II-2: Individuals who are not Case employees). Supervisors who are contacted by prospective volunteers should refer him or her to the Employment office for processing of the volunteer release waiver.

Employment Authorization

If you are eligible to apply for Employment Authorization, you may fill out this application form (pdf) and mail it to the Lincoln, NE Service Center. The current filing fee is $380 (the finger-print card is no longer required).

Differences between H-1B and J-1 Visa

There many significant differences between the H-1B visa and the J-1 visa for researchers, including professors. Depending on your circumstances, one or the other could be the better option for you. Review a comparison of H-1B and J-1 visas.

USCIS Information

If you have an U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services(CIS) application receipt number, you can check the status of your case online at CIS Case Status Service >>.

Immigration and Nationality Act

Section 265 of the Immigration and Nationality Act states that every non-immigrant in the United States must notify CIS of any change of address within 10 days of the change. Please complete the Alien's Change of Address Card (pdf) and be sure to forward a copy to the Office of Immigration and Human Resource Services (220 Suite, Crawford Hall, LC7047) and HR Records/Information Management (220 Crawford Hall, LC7047).

The length of time it takes to get a visa for the U.S. has gotten longer since 9/11. Visit the new Visa Wait Times page at the U.S. Department of State.