Can I use my own attorney for my green card application?

An individual may use their own attorney when pursuing a self-filed petition such as an EB-1A (EB-12) Individuals of Extraordinary Ability petition or a National Interest Waiver (NIW) petition; however, any application filed by Case Western Reserve University on behalf of an employee must be prepared and filed by approved outside counsel and should only be signed by the Office of Immigration and HR Services.