How can I extend my J-1 visa?

It is the responsibility of the department to request an extension to a J-1 program. IHRS asks that all paperwork is in their office two weeks before the end of the appointment. To do an extension, send a new J-1 recommendation form and a new Dean’s appointment letter to IHRS.

PLEASE NOTE: Individuals in J-1 seeking a waiver of INA 212(e) must contact our office in advance of filing a waiver request, as J-1 status cannot be extended once a waiver is obtained.