Box Sync is a productivity tool that mirrors the data stored in your Box at CWRU account on your local computer. You can then navigate and modify files through your computer's native file explorer, without using a web browser. Files synchronized with your computer are available for offline access. If you make changes to the synced files locally, these changes automatically sync back to your Box at CWRU account.
Note: Box Sync is not approved for use with restricted data at Case Western Reserve University. Examples of Restricted Data
1. Click Install Box Sync.
2. The installation file will download. Double click the installation file to install Box Sync.
3. When the Box Sync setup screen appears, select Use Single Sign On and log in using your CWRU Network ID and password.
4. Click Start Syncing to begin downloading the data in your Box at CWRU account to your computer.
At the folder level, you can restrict how folders are shared with other users. Customizable settings include:
- Restrict the addition of collaborators to owners and co-owners.
- Restrict collaborators to individuals with CWRU accounts.
- Hide collaborators.
- Allow people who can access this folder from a shared link to join.
To enforce one or more of these restrictions on a folder:
1. Right click a folder and select Properties > Folder Settings.
2. Select the Invitation Restriction that you want to be applied to the folder.
3. Once selected, click Save Changes.
Using Box at CWRU through the web (cwru.box.com) is the preferred method at Case Western Reserve University. However, there may be instances in which software requires a file path to export data to your Box at CWRU account. Box at CWRU users may use WebDrive, a virtual drive mapping service, to map their Box at CWRU account as a network drive on their computer. Such drives can also be assigned a drive letter on Windows. To setup your Box at CWRU account as a network drive on your computer follow these instructions. Mapping a Box account using WebDrive is the only supported method at Case Western Reserve.
1. Go to softwarecenter.case.edu. Click the Windows or Mac logo beneath WebDrive.
2. Select Download WebDrive.
3. Once downloaded, open the WebDrive installation file and install WebDrive. For instructions on installing WebDrive, see softwarecenter.case.edu/content/Documentation_Depot/webdrive12.pdf.
4. Once WebDrive is installed, locate it on your computer and launch the program. You will then sign in to your Box at CWRU account from WebDrive. On Mac, click the +.
5. Select Box.
6. Select Click here to log in to your box account.
7. Select Use Single Sign On (SSO). Log in with your CWRU Network ID and password when prompted.
8. On Windows, assign your Box at CWRU folder a drive letter. Click Finish.