Child Care Programs

Benefits-eligible faculty and staff - as well as all students - are able to participate in temporary and back-up child care and child care support during travel.

Temporary and Back-up Child Care

It always seems to happen—whenever you have a can’t-miss meeting or class, that’s the day that your child or children wake up not feeling well. The President's Committee on Child Care Options identified the need for short-notice back-up care as a campus priority.

In response,the university has established a relationship with Erin's Nannies, a highly regarded service that helps place caregivers with families on a full-time and temporary basis. In this pilot program, the university will pay for the registration fee and up to two emergency referrals.

To take part in the program or to learn more about the back-up care services offered, please contact Erin’s Nannies directly:

Phone: 216.272.6095

Students, faculty and staff utilizing the back-up care services are responsible for payment of hourly wages directly to the care providers. If greater than two (2) emergency referrals are used, the program participant is responsible for paying the referral fees charged by Erin’s Nannies.

IMPACT Solutions

IMPACT Solutions offers a service that can ease the frustration of finding temporary and back-up care. It provides personalized assistance locating child care services as well as online access to a comprehensive database of qualified child care providers.

To use the Child Care Service, simply call 1.800.227.6007.

To conduct your own search for childcare, visit us on the web at

  1. Click on the orange "Go to member login" box.
  2. In the MEMBER LOGIN box, enter the username. If you don't remember the username (Member Login as listed on CWRU IMPACT Solutions brochure), please call 1.800.227.6007, and they will provide it.
  3. Click the "SIGN IN" box.
  4. Scroll down and click on the "Locators" box.
  5. Select from the list of resources.

Child Care Support During Travel

Child care can become particularly challenging when a parent must take a trip for work or study—for example, a conference, a research opportunity, or out-of-town meeting. Inspired by a successful model operated through the ACES program, the President's committee recommended launching a campus-wide initiative. As a result, the university has established a new fund to support additional costs of care.

These resources can support care for a child who travels to the event or for the child at home while the adult travels.

Eligibility requirements

  • Faculty with the rank of Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor, Senior Instructor, Instructor and Lecturer (faculty members who hold adjunct appointments, clinical appointments and visiting appointments are not eligible) and have an appointment or reappointment letter specifying a salary paid through the university that is 50% or more of a full-time equivalent salary.
  • Staff who are regular employees and work at least a half-time or greater schedule.
  • Graduate and Undergraduate students taking classes during the semester in which child care support for travel is sought.

General conditions

  • Reimbursement is available only for dependent care expenses incurred when traveling to attend professional meetings, conferences, workshops and professional development opportunities.
  • Only expenses incurred for an “eligible dependent” are reimbursable. An eligible dependent follows Internal Revenue Service definitions. In general, an eligible dependent must be under age 13.
  • Child care expenses incurred during domestic travel may be reimbursed up to $100 per day and expenses incurred during international travel may be reimbursed up to $150 per day. A person is limited to reimbursements totaling $1,000 per fiscal year.
  • An application form may be submitted when the need for child care during professional travel is known.
  • The reason for travel must be substantiated and authorized by:
    • Department Chair for faculty members
    • Supervisor for staff employees
    • Faculty Advisor for students
  • The anticipated schedule of necessary child care must be identified.
  • An application form must be submitted for each trip that results in incremental childcare costs.
  • Documentation of child care expenses must be provided.
  • Documentation of the professional travel must also be provided.
  • Reimbursement will occur after the application form and appropriate expense and travel documentation are reviewed and approved by Benefits Administration.

Who is eligible to receive this benefit?

All students and benefits-eligible faculty and staff may participate in this program.

How do I apply for the benefit?

An application form should be submitted when the need for child care during professional travel is known. The professional/business purpose of the travel must be substantiated, including appropriate authorization from a Department Chair for faculty members, Supervisor for staff employees or Faculty Advisor for students.

Please include in the application the anticipated schedule of care.

Print the application form

What is the amount of benefit I can receive?

The actual cost of child care will be reimbursed up to $100 per day during domestic travel and up to $150 per day during international travel. The maximum cumulative benefit is $1,000 per person. Please note that the reimbursement is a taxable benefit.

When will I receive my reimbursement for child care expenses?

The reimbursement payment will be made after the professional travel is completed. Appropriate documentation of the child care expenses and of the travel must be submitted in order to receive reimbursement.