Collaborating on multidisciplinary research teams brings about a unique set of challenges, one of which is effective communication among team members who are trained in different disciplines and come with different experiences. This module presents effective ways to improve communication in order to minimize frustration and conflict while capitalizing on the benefits gained from having differing perspectives.
- Balancing advocacy and inquiry
- Tips for effective communication
- Guidelines for constructive feedback
- Senge, PM, Kleiner, A., Roberts, C. Ross, RB, Smith, BJ. (1994). The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization. New York: Doubleday. pp. 235-246.
- Argyris, (1990). Overcoming Organizational Defenses.
Needham, Mass: Allyn and Bacon, pp. 88-89.
- Scholtes, P. R., Joiner, B. L., & Streibel, B. J. (2003). The Team Handbook. Oriel Incorporated.