Non-Degree Students

Male presenting student at table speaking to others

Students who hold an undergraduate degree and would like to enroll in classes for personal enrichment or to satisfy prerequisite graduate course requirements for future admission may enroll as a non-degree, or non-matriculated, student through the Mandel School. The associate dean for academic affairs is the advisor for all non-degree students and approves all registrations, drop/adds and withdrawals.

University Academic Calendar and Registration

You can find other registration and enrollment information on the University’s Academic Calendar. Please refer to the Registrar’s Office for deadlines and course scheduling for the Mandel School.

Non-Degree Student Application Procedure

A student who wishes to register as a non-degree student in Mandel School courses should submit the non-degree application. When you create an account in the application system, please select that you are applying to the “Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences.”

  • Students may enroll in graduate-level courses. Continuation in non-degree status is at the discretion of the associate dean of academic affairs.
  • Applicants who are interested in transferring course work into graduate degree programs are encouraged to seek early advice from the departments to which they intend to apply to ensure that courses taken as non-degree students will satisfy university requirements.
  • Non-degree students cannot assume they will be admitted to any graduate degree program or that all course work taken will transfer into the program.
  • Courses transferred from non-degree status must have been taken within five years of the first term of matriculation as a degree-seeking student and passed with a grade of B or better.
  • Non-degree students are not permitted to enroll in more than 12 credit hours of coursework in the program. In order to continue taking courses in that program, the student must apply and be accepted into the graduate degree program.

Steps for Registration

First-Time Non-Degree Registrants

  1. Complete the online application.
    1. When creating an account, please select the School > Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences.
  2. Upload a brief statement of purpose, maximum of one page, to share with us your interest in enrolling in graduate courses at the Mandel School. You may include what skills you hope to learn and gain through the coursework.
  3. Upload a resume into the application system.
  4. Upload transcripts from your undergraduate and graduate institutions (if applicable). Unofficial transcripts will be accepted for the application. Original, degree-conferring transcripts, will be required once admitted. Case Western Reserve graduates do not need to submit transcripts.
  5. The Mandel School will process your application. You will receive an email with further instructions on how to activate your CWRU network ID (if applicable) and register using the Student Information System (SIS).

Non-First-Time Registrants

  1. Email a request to David Miller to release the advising hold on your registration. This will allow you to register.
  2. Once the hold has been released, log into the Student Information System (SIS) to register.

All Non-Degree Students

Register for your selected courses in SIS (go to Enrolling in Classes for detailed instructions).

  1. Learn about overrides and permissions.
  2. Prerequisites: It is the student’s responsibility to meet any prerequisites for courses.
  3. From the Student Center, you can view your academic information as well as view the Searchable Schedule of Classes to access semester schedules. 

Case Western Reserve Employees

  1. Complete the Certification for Tuition Waiver and submit it to Human Resources. 
  2. Complete the Affidavit of Qualification for Tuition Waiver Tax Exemption and submit it to Human Resources.
  3. Tuition waivers can be emailed to Please pay particular attention to the drop/add deadline to avoid potential financial penalties. Please note that as a CWRU employee, it is your responsibility to inquire about your eligibility status for the Tuition Waiver. If financial penalties are incurred due to ineligibility of the waiver, it is the responsibility of the employee to pay such penalties. For more details, email

Please contact the Mandel School admissions office with any questions about the non-degree application at