What is the Flu Shot?
The flu shot is an inactivated vaccine (containing killed virus) that is given with a needle, usually in the arm. It contains four seasonal influenza viruses that are grown in eggs. The seasonal flu vaccine protects against the four influenza viruses that research indicates will be most common during the upcoming season.
Who Should Get a Seasonal Flu Shot?
The CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommends that everyone 6 months and older should get a flu vaccine each year.
While everyone should get a flu vaccine each flu season, it's especially important that certain people get vaccinated either because they are at high risk of having serious flu-related complications or because they live with or care for people at high risk for developing flu-related complications.
It is especially important that the following groups get vaccinated either because they are at high risk of having serious flu-related complications or because they live with or care for people at high risk for developing flu-related complications:
- Pregnant women
- Children younger than 5, but especially children younger than 2 years old
- People 50 years of age and older
- People of any age with certain chronic medical conditions
- People who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities
- People who live with or care for those at high risk for complications from flu, including:
- Health care workers
- Household contacts of persons at high risk for complications from the flu
- Household contacts and out of home caregivers of children less than 6 months of age
Flu Vaccine for Students
Flu shots are available for free to all CWRU, CIA and CIM students, and CWRU faculty and staff. No appointments are required, but all participants need to bring their CWRU ID. Please wear an outfit that allows the upper arm to be easily exposed.
Fall 2020 Flu Shot Clinics:
|November 17||8:30am- 12:00pm||Veale Convocation, Recreation and Athletic Center Fieldhouse|
|November 19||8:30am- 12:00pm||Veale Convocation, Recreation and Athletic Center Fieldhouse|