Transition of Care

Transition of Care Guide

Welcome to Case Western Reserve University!

Managing your healthcare is an important part of going to college. If you take an active role in managing your care, you can do a lot to stay healthy and promote your success in school.

If you received treatment for a physical or mental health condition while in high school or before, there are several things you can do to continue to stay healthy while transitioning to and while attending college.

This page walks you through how CWRU can help you access healthcare. You can also download the Transition of Care handout.

You have three available options for transitioning your healthcare while at CWRU.  

UH&CS is the on-campus option. We can assist with coordinating care with home providers (Option B) or local provides (Option C), if needed. 

Visits to UH&CS are FREE for all registered students. 

Please ask your treatment team from home to share the necessary information and records with UH&CS. It helps to bring records or send them before arriving on campus. 

Conversations between treatment team members on campus and at home can also be important. These can happen before or after you arrive on campus, with your permission. See below for more information about our Release of Information. 

You and your family should discuss with your care team whether this is an option. 

Things to consider include: 

  • Will you be too far from home? 
  • Will phone calls and infrequent face-to-face visits be enough for your healthcare needs? 
  • If you take medication, how will you get it? 

Even if you choose this option, you will still want to have a connection with University Health & Counseling Services and Disability Resources because

  • You might have an urgent need that we can help address. 
  • You may need help with academic accommodations or planning your specific transition to college. 
  • There should be an arrangement to share information as needed between your home clinician and campus-based providers. 

UH&CS can help with referrals that fit your healthcare needs. If you would like assistance with a referral, please ask your treatment team from home to share the necessary information and records with UH&CS, as well as the new provider(s). See below for more information about our Release of Information. 

If you choose to keep in touch with your clinician from home for advice, your team should work out parameters for communication. 

If possible, you and your family can try to meet the off-campus clinician before classes start and have a plan set up in advance. 

Key Things To Do in Addition to the Option You Choose: 

Make sure everyone on your team is clear on all the details for your follow-up care. 

Make sure there is agreement all around about specific parameters of care: how often, who is lead clinician, how will changes in treatment be handled, etc. 

Please send your records to the offices and clinicians with whom you'll be working. This includes filing proper releases of information with necessary clinicians and offices. Please use this form to send records to UH&CS and/or establish a communication plan. 

Have an emergency plan. There should be a clearly written out plan for managing crises should they occur. Who will make clinical decisions, who is primary family contact and when should they be called should all be clearly agreed upon. 

Consider having a mental health plan.

Know how to describe your prior care, current needs and medications. 

Complete the documentation needed for Disability Resources

Know what insurance you have and how to use it. 

Learn where to go for help on campus: 

Learn how to call for help on campus: 

  • On Campus Emergencies- Dial 216.368.3333
  • Off Campus Emergencies- Dial 911
  • Crisis Text Line- Text START to 741-741


Contact Counseling Services  216.368.5872

Contact Health Services 216.368.2450

Guide adapted from Transition Care Guide, Set to Go, A Jed Program