The Case Comprehensive Cancer Center is looking for a motivated person to join our communications team as Communications Specialist. Primary responsibilities will include assisting with all center marketing and communication efforts. This dynamic position is ideal for a creative, self-motivated person with a strong understanding of web content and social media, as well as an interest in marketing, communication, and healthcare. The ideal candidate will assist in all aspects of writing and editing for all center communications channels and vehicles, including email, web, social, print, etc., and updating and maintaining center website. Working in a team atmosphere, this position will be expected to support innovative content development, both written and visual, to advance the reputation and relationships within the center and with our external constituents and stakeholders.
To apply for the position, visit case.edu/hr/careers and click "view open positions" under the External Candidates heading.
Please contact Gillian Irwin, Communications Strategist, at email@example.com with any questions.
The full job description is posted below.
Job Description: Communications Specialist
Job Type: Full-time
Department: Case Comprehensive Cancer Center
The Case Comprehensive Cancer Center is looking for a motivated person to join our communications team. Primary responsibilities will include assisting with all center marketing and communication efforts. This dynamic position is ideal for a creative, self-motivated person with a strong understanding of web content and social media, as well as an interest in marketing, communication, and healthcare. The ideal candidate will assist in all aspects of writing and editing for all center communications channels and vehicles, including email, web, social, print, etc., and updating and maintaining center website. Working in a team atmosphere, this position will be expected to support innovative content development, both written and visual, to advance the reputation and relationships within the center and with our external constituents and stakeholders.
- Responsible for content creation and design of e-newsletter and email blasts, including researching topics and tracking trends to create content. Responsible for content development and management of Center social media platforms: Facebook and Twitter. (30%)
- Be a primary editor for various documents including; grant submissions, publications, internal and external letters, web and newsletter content. (25%)
- Update center website with fresh and engaging content; actively maintain site to ensure up to date content using Drupal content management system. Including; Create graphics/basic editing of images for website, identify important news, events, and funding opportunities and resources to add to website, creating web profile pages for Center members, updating general site content, fixing web pages, and ensuring the site is both useful and relevant. (20%)
- Assist in the development and dissemination of marketing and communications materials across channels: Center weekly newsletter, social media, website, targeted emails, press releases, etc. Provide administrative, editorial support for the design and development of the annual report and weekly e-newsletter, and other Center materials. Work on and contribute to a creative team with graphic designers, photographers videographers. (10%)
- Assist in the development and execution of a comprehensive Center marketing and communications plan. (10%)
- Apply consistent branding and styling across a range of communications channels and products. (5%)
- Perform other duties as assigned. (5%)
- Department: Regular contact with supervisor, center administrative staff and the center director.
- University: Contact with Case Western Reserve University, University Hospitals, and Cleveland Clinic physicians, investigators, research nurses, regulatory and data coordinators, university technology services, and other departmental personnel involved in and/or assisting with research.
- External: Contact with the National Cancer Institute, Food and Drug Administration, pharmaceutical sponsors, national and international cancer research Cooperative Groups, Forte Research System, representatives from other institutions and organizations.
- Students: Work with students employed by the center.
- Experience: 2 years of relevant experience in communications, digital and social media, editing or marketing preferred. Strong familiarity with Facebook and Twitter platforms.
- Education/Licensing: Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, English, or related field required.
- Creative, dynamic thinker with strong writing and editing skills, verbal communication, and experience with Microsoft Office 365, Adobe Creative Suite Products, and other graphic and digital content creation platforms. Experience using Adobe Creative Cloud, web content management systems (such as Wordpress, Drupal), social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook), and email systems (such as Mailchimp, Constant Contact).
- Strong knowledge of principles of graphic design and ability to make graphics for social media a plus.
- Extreme attention to detail.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills required. In editing and proofreading, ensure text is free from spelling or grammatical errors, and meets university standards for style and content.
- Willingness to put forth creative recommendations and solutions during project conception.
- Ability to work effectively independently and collaboratively within a team. Must be highly motivated, responsible, dependable and a self-starter.
- Must demonstrate willingness to learn new concepts, processes, computer programs, etc. as needed. Strong analytical skills, creativity and problem-solving capabilities, ability to work under pressure and changing environment while remaining attentive to details.
- Ability to prioritize and manage work, adhering to critical project timelines.
- Ability to take direction and seek help when needed.
- Ability to handle multiple projects at once.
- Willingness to embrace learning opportunities and share knowledge.
- Fulfill scheduled tasks/projects in a timely manner by meeting deadlines.
- Ability to meet consistent attendance.
- Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors, and customers face to face.
- Typical office environment; no chemical exposure. The employee will perform repetitive motion using computer mouse and keyboard to type.