Danny Manor completed his undergraduate studies in biochemistry in 1982 at Tel Aviv University in Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel and received his PhD in anatomy, structural biology and biophysics from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in Bronx, New York in 1989. Dr. Manor held a postdoctoral position in the Department of Physics at the City University of New York, where he applied biophysical approaches for the study of visual pigments and GTP-binding proteins.
In 1992, Dr. Manor moved to the Department of Pharmacology at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, where he studied the role of small GTP-binding proteins in malignant transformation. After receiving a faculty position at Cornell's Division of Nutritional Science, his studies diversified to include molecular bases of cancer prevention and vitamin E biology.
Danny Manor joined the Department of Nutrition in the School of Medicine at Case Western Reserve University as an Associate Professor in 2006. His research work has been funded by the American Cancer Society (ACS), the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK).
We aim to gain molecular-level answers to basic questions that surround the etiology, treatment and prevention of disease.
Our efforts are focused on two general areas:
- Understanding the signal transduction pathways that regulate normal cell growth and that are disrupted by oncogenic mutations.
- Understanding the molecular mechanisms by which cells and tissues regulate the levels of reactive oxygen species and combat oxidative stress.
For further details, please consult our group's web-page: Manor Lab
- Editorial Board, Free Radicals in Biology and Medicine
- Editorial Board, Biofactors
- Editorial Board, J. Cell Signaling
- Special Issue editor, Nutrients
- Editorial board, Vitamins and Minerals
- Chung S, Gehlfi M, Atkinson J, Parker R, Qian J, Carlin C, Manor D*. Vitamin E and phosphoinositides regulate the intracellular localization of the hepatic α-tocopherol transfer protein. 2016. J. Biol. Chem. In press.
- Ghelfi M, Ulatowski L, Manor D, Atkinson J., Synthesis and characterization of a fluorescent probe for α-tocopherol suitable for fluorescence microscopy. 2016. Bioorg Med Chem. 24: 2754-61
- Gupta M, Qi X, Thakur V, Manor D*. Tyrosine Phosphorylation of Dbl Regulates GTPase Signaling. J Biol Chem. 2014; 289: 17195-202. PMCID: 4059160
- Ulatowski L, Parker R, Warrier G, Sultana R, Butterfield DA, Manor D*.Vitamin E is essential for Purkinje neuron integrity. Neuroscience. 2014 260:120-9. PMID: 24342566
- Gupta M, Kamynina E, Morley S, Chung S, Muakkassa N, Wang H, Brathwaite S, Sharma G, Manor D*. Plekhg4 is a novel Dbl family guanine nucleotide exchange factor protein for Rho family GTPases. 2013. J. Biol. Chem. 288: 14522-30
- Ulatowski L, Dreussi C, Noy N, Barnholtz-Sloan J, Klein E, & Manor D* Expression of the α-tocopherol transfer protein gene is regulated by oxidative stress and common single-nucleotide polymorphisms 2012. Free Radic Biol Med. 53: 2318-2326
- Miller GW, Ulatowski L, Labut EM, Lebold KM, Manor D, Atkinson J, Barton CL, Tanguay RL, Traber MG. The α-Tocopherol Transfer Protein Is Essential for Vertebrate Embryogenesis. 2012 PLoS One 7(10): e47402.
- Bardowell SA, Duan F, Manor D, Swanson JE, Parker RS Disruption of mouse cytochrome p450 4f14 (Cyp4f14 gene) causes severe perturbations in vitamin E metabolism. 2012. J Biol Chem. 287: 26077-86.
- L. Ulatowski, R. Parker, C. Davidson, N. Yanjanin, T. J. Kelley, D. Corey, J. Atkinson, F. Porter, H. Arai, S. U. Walkley & D. Manor Altered vitamin E Status in Niemann-Pick type C Disease. 2011. J. Lipid. Res. 52: 1400-10
- Zhang WX, Thakur V, Lomize A, Pogozheva I, Panagabko C, Cecchini M, Baptist M, Morley S, Manor D, Atkinson J*. The contribution of surface residues to membrane binding and ligand transfer by the α-tocopherol transfer protein (α-TTP). 2011. J Mol Biol. 405(4):972-88
Invited Reviews and Book Chapters
- Ulatowski L & Manor D*. Vitamin E and neurodegeneration. Neurobiology of Disease. 2015. 84: 78-83
- Ulatowski, L. & Manor, D.* Vitamin E trafficking in Neurologic Health and Disease. 2013. Ann. Rev. Nutrition. 33: 87-103
- Ulatowski, L. & Manor, D.* "Vitamin E status in Niemann-Pick type C Disease”. 2012. in Diet and Nutrition in Dementia and Cognitive Decline (Elsevier)
- Traber MG, Manor D. Vitamin E. 2012. Adv Nutr. 3(3):330.
- Chung et al. Dynamic regulation of hepatic vitamin E secretion by the α-tocopherol transfer protein. Annual Experimental Biology Meeting, March 28 – April 1, 2015, Boston, MA
- Chung et al. Vitamin E and phosphatidyl inositol phosphates drive hepatic alpha-tocopherol transfer protein localization. Annual meeting of the Society for Free Radical Biology and Medicine, November 18-22, 2015, Boston, MA
- Ulatowski et al. Regulation of Tiam1-mediated invasion by tyrosine phosphorylation. FASEB Science Research Conference on Regulation and Function of Small GTPases. June 7-12, 2015, West Palm Beach, FL
- Ulatowski et al. Vitamin E protects against PUFA-induced behavioral and motor deficits. Annual Experimental Biology meeting, April 26-30, 2014, San Diago, CA
- Thakur et al. The alpha-tocopherol transfer protein (TTP) regulates Vitamin E transport across placental cell monolayers. Annual Experimental Biology meeting, April 26-30, 2014, San Diago, CA
- Chung et al. Dynamic regulation of hepatic vitamin E secretion by the α-tocopherol transfer protein. Annual Experimental Biology meeting, April 26-30, 2014, San Diago, CA
- Thakur et al. Vitamin E and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). Annual Experimental Biology meeting, April 20-24, 2013, Boston, MA. (FASEB J April 9, 2013 27:1017.11)
- Chung et al. Dynamic regulation of hepatic vitamin E secretion by the α-tocopherol transfer protein. Annual Experimental Biology meeting, April 20-24, 2013, Boston, MA. (FASEB J April 9, 2013 27:373.1)
- Ulatowski et al. Alpha-TTP-expressing astrocytes regulate α-tocopherol homeostasis in the CNS. Annual Experimental Biology meeting, April 20-24, 2013, Boston, MA. (FASEB J April 9, 2013 27:814.2)
- Ulatowski et al. Behavioral Manifestations of oxidative stress. Annual meeting of the Society of Free Radicals in Biology and Medicine, November 20-24, San Antonio, Texas.
- Committee on Appointments, Promotions and Tenure, CWRU School of Medicine
- Committee on Budget, Finance, and Compensation, CWRU School of Medicine
- Bylaws Committee, CWRU School of Medicine