Weekly Testing

Case Western Reserve University students, staff, or faculty coming to campus or living on campus must be tested weekly in Horsburgh Gymnasium at the Veale Convocation, Recreation and Athletic Center (use the natatorium entrance). Individuals may come for testing any day during the week they are on campus (the week is defined as Saturday through Friday, as testing does not occur on weekends). Free parking is available in the Veale Garage; note that you are there for your mandatory COVID test.

Testing is mandatory, but you do not have to be tested or receive your result before taking part in your planned campus activities. We recognize that some people will need to be on campus before they are able to get to the testing location, and they may also need to be on campus prior to receiving their result. 

Please note: Weekly surveillance testing is still mandatory even if you have been partially or fully vaccinated.

The following individuals should not come for testing:

  • Those who have had a positive PCR test for COVID-19 in the past three months
  • Those in isolation or quarantine as directed by University Health Services or a public health department
  • Those with symptoms.
  • Individuals with symptoms should not come to campus or leave their residence halls. Please call University Health Services at 216.368.2450.

After conducting contact tracing on positive tests, the university follows all proper isolation and quarantine protocols.

Testing Hours

To accommodate varying schedules, we are offering testing from 6 a.m.–6 p.m., Monday- Friday, in Horsburgh Gymnasium (use the natatorium entrance) at the Veale Convocation, Recreation and Athletic Center.

Walk-in testing ends 20 minutes before the end of the testing day.

Please know that University Health & Counseling Services will continue to provide testing for those with symptoms or known exposures throughout the winter recess. Call 216.368.2450 to speak with a nurse on-call.

If you find that your available times during the week have already been filled (or that you are unable to use the appointment system), please know you can walk-in for testing any time the testing is open. Walk-in testing ends 20 minutes before the end of the testing day. Please remember to not eat, drink (including water), smoke, chew gum or vape 30 minutes prior to your appointment.

About the Test

The university has engaged Vault Health to provide a saliva test for the novel coronavirus. The test, RT-qPCR, detects specific genes from the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19. After you provide a sample of your saliva, the virus’s genetic material is extracted, and a laboratory test looks for these specific genes. If they are detected, the test is considered positive (that is, you are positive for SARS-CoV-2).

Scheduling Instructions

  1. Visit myhealthconnect.case.edu and log in with your CWRU Network ID and password, then verify your birthdate.
  2. Click Schedule an Appointment.
  3. Any existing appointments are listed on this page. (If you need to reschedule, you can cancel your existing appointment on this page.) Click Schedule an Appointment (a second time) to continue.
  4. Choose Surveillance Covid-19 Test and press Continue. Note: You will only have this option if you have been selected for an appointment.
  5. Choose Yes and press Continue.
  6. Select the date for your desired appointment and press Search for Appointments.
  7. Available appointment times are displayed. Choose your desired time and press Continue. If a desired time is not available, you can search for appointments on another date.
  8. Press Schedule to confirm your appointment.
  9. Your appointment is now confirmed, and a QR code for touchless check-in is displayed. You can save, screenshot or print this QR code to expedite your check-in at the testing site. The QR code will also be sent to you in an email confirmation message.

    * If you are unable to log into or schedule through myhealthconnect.case.edu, please know you can walk-in for testing any time prior to 20 minutes before the end of testing for the day. No appointment is needed.

Testing Process

To ensure a quicker, more accurate testing process, please follow the instructions below:

  1. Hydrate well up to 30 minutes before your appointment time.
  2. Do not eat, drink (including water), smoke/vape or chew gum for 30 minutes prior to your appointment. 
  3. Arrive at your scheduled appointment time, wearing a mask and following physical distancing guidelines.
  4. Have your appointment QR code pulled up on your phone for check-in. You can access the QR code on myhealthconnect.case.edu or in your appointment confirmation email. You can also print or take a screenshot of the code for easy access.
  5. After arriving, you will be given a test kit at check-in and will be guided by on-site staff to an available testing station. 
  6. Using your smartphone, if available, log in to the Vault site and follow the prompts to create your account and administer the test. iPads will be available for those who do not have smartphone access; let a staff member know if you need to use an iPad to check in.
  7. A staff member will supervise the saliva test to ensure it is conducted properly. 
  8. Upon completion of your test, follow directions within the testing center to drop off your completed test, then exit the Veale Center.
  9. Depending on the individual, providing enough saliva for testing can take between 10 and 30 minutes.

Test Results

Test results typically are available in up to 72 hours. Your results will be positive, inconclusive or negative.

Results are delivered in one of two ways:

  • If you opt to receive your results via email, you will receive your results directly via email.
  • If you do not, you will receive an email notification with a link to view your results in your Vault account.

If you do not have computer access, you can visit Kelvin Smith Library to use a computer and check for your email results.

If you do not have your results after 72 hours, please contact University Health and Counseling Services at 216.368.2450 or c19testing@case.edu.

If you experience COVID-19-like symptoms after taking the test but before you receive the results, please call University Health Services right away at 216.368.2450.

What to Do If Your Result is Positive

If your test result is positive, you will need to isolate yourself until University Health and Counseling Services contacts you. Please note: If you receive your test results late in the day, you may not be contacted by University Health and Counseling Services until the next day. 

Students living on campus who have positive tests will be moved into dedicated isolation space on campus, and will receive meals as well as medical, mental health, social and academic support. Students living off campus, as well as faculty and staff, will be directed to stay home.

What to Do If Your Result is Inconclusive

An inconclusive result means the test could not definitively determine whether you are infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Only 2% of cases return inconclusive results. If you receive an inconclusive result, please wait for University Health and Counseling Services to contact you regarding next steps.

What to Do If Your Result is Negative

If you receive a negative result, please continue to follow all health and safety guidelines—including physical distancing, mask wearing and hand hygiene. Remember: Just because your result was negative on the day of the test does not mean you are not vulnerable to the disease, or that you have not contracted it since your testing appointment.

Accuracy of Results

False positive results certainly are possible, but they are less likely with the type of test we are using.

For information on the accuracy of saliva tests, please visit the Yale School of Public Health’s website.

Frequently Asked Questions

Students, faculty, and staff who are coming on campus are required to be tested each week.

You can reschedule your appointment on myhealthconnect.case.edu, but you must schedule in the same week.

Students, faculty and staff will not be charged for COVID-19 testing.

If a health condition does not permit you to take a saliva test, we can provide you with an alternate testing option. Please contact c19testing@case.edu for more information.

Neither masks nor physical distancing eliminate the risk of contracting COVID-19, but those measures do lower its likelihood. Testing represents another one of several measures we are taking to try to protect the campus community at a particularly perilous phase of the pandemic—and each of them helps reduce risk.

If you had a positive PCR test within the past three months, no. If it happened earlier, yes.

No. You should not come to the university’s testing site if you have symptoms. Instead, call University Health Services at 216.368.2450.

Yes, anyone having difficulties signing up for a test online may come to the Veale Convocation, Recreation and Athletic Center from Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 5:40 p.m. for walk-in testing. The process is just as quick and simple as if you had signed up online.

If you try to schedule a test and receive a message that says “We are unable to locate your record,” please email University Heath and Counseling Services at uhcs@case.edu for further assistance.

For COVID surveillance testing purposes, coming to campus is defined as entering a CWRU building at any time. This includes student housing, administration, classroom, service and other CWRU-managed and -owned buildings. If you need to use a CWRU-issued access card to enter the building, this is covered under our mandatory testing policy.

Accessing parking lots only is NOT considered coming to campus for surveillance testing purposes. 

No. At this time, any individual who is partially or wholly vaccinated is still required to come for mandatory weekly surveillance testing.

The testing week is defined as Saturday through Friday. As testing at Veale Convocation, Recreation and Athletic Center is only available from Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., anyone who comes to campus on a weekend has the next business week to comply with our testing requirements.

There are no other testing sites outside of Horsburgh Gymnasium in the Veale Convocation, Recreation and Athletic Center at this time.

Even if you are coming to campus for a minute or two and have no interactions with other individuals, weekly testing is still required.

Please contact University Health Services at 216.368.2450 or healthservice@case.edu to ensure that your positive test has been recorded correctly, and please email rxk444+covid@case.edu to have your exemption noted for the compliance program.