Case Western Reserve offers PCR and rapid antigen tests in vending machines across campus—in Biomedical Research Building, Fribley Commons, Kent Hale Smith, Leutner Commons, Peter B. Lewis, Samson Pavilion, Sears, Tinkham Veale University Center, Tomlinson Hall, Veale Recreation, Convocation and Athletic Center, and Wade Commons.
After retrieving your rapid test from a Case Western Reserve COVID-19 test vending machine, please follow these instructions closely.
NOTE: To comply with the university's testing protocol, you must upload your test results at myhealthconnect.case.edu.
Preparing for Your Test
- Step away from the vending machine area. You can take this test at any location on campus; you do not need to take it at the vending site.
- Wash or sanitize your hands; make sure they are dry before beginning your test.
- Remove test card from pouch. Handle card only on the edges; do not touch any parts on the inside.
- Make sure the blue control line is present in the result window. Do not use the card if it is not.
- Open the card and lay it flat on a table with the pink side down. You can bend the spine in the opposite direction to help the card lay flat. NOTE: The card must remain flat for the entire test.
- Remove dropper bottle cap. Hold dropper bottle straight over top hole (not at an angle) and put 6 drops into top hole. Do not touch card with tip of dropper bottle.
Collecting Your Sample
- Open the swab package at stick end and take the swab out.
- Insert the entire soft tip of the swab into a nostril (usually 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch). You do not need to go deeper.
- Using medium pressure, rub the swab against all of the inside walls of your nostril. Make at least 5 big circles. Do not just spin the swab. Each nostril must be swabbed for about 15 seconds.
- Using the same swab, repeat steps 2-3 in your other nostril.
Performing the Test
- On the card, insert swab tip into lower hole. Firmly push the swab tip from the lower hole until it is visible in the top hole. Do not remove the swab from the card.
- Turn swab to right 3 times to mix the swab with the drops. Do not skip this step. False negative results can occur if swab is not turned.
- Leave the swab in the card for the remainder of the test. DO NOT remove swab.
- Peel adhesive liner off. Be careful not to touch other parts of card.
- Close left side of the card over swab. Press firmly on the two lines on right edge of the card to seal.
- Keep card face up on table. DO NOT move or touch the card during this time.
- Wait 15 minutes. Read the result at 15 minutes. Do not read the result before 15 minutes or after 30 minutes.
Check for Positive COVID-19 Result
- Find result window and look carefully for two pink/purple lines.
- Positive Result: If you see two pink/purple lines (one on the top half and one on the bottom half), this means COVID-19 was detected. Look very closely! The bottom line can be very faint. Any pink/purple line visible is a Positive Result.
Check for Negative COVID-19 Result
- Find result window and look for a single pink/purple line in window.
- Negative Result: If you see only one pink/purple line on the top half, where it says “Control," this means COVID-19 was not detected.
Check for Invalid Result
- If you see any of these, the test is invalid. An invalid result means this test was unable to determine whether you have COVID-19 or not. A new test is needed to get a valid result.
- Please contact Technical Support at 833.637.1594.
Reporting Your Results
NOTE: This step is required to comply with the university's testing policy.
- Log in to myhealthconnect.case.edu.
- Follow all instructions for reporting a COVID-19 rapid test result, including uploading a photo of the completed test. DO NOT throw your test results away until this step is complete.
- Once you have fully logged your results in MyHealthConnect, throw away your test and all packaging.