Jonathan Haines, PhD, Director
Amy Merlino, MD, Co-Director
David Kaelber, MD, PhD, Co-Director
REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a secure web application for building and managing online surveys and databases. While REDCap can be used to collect virtually any type of data, it is specifically geared to support online or offline data capture for research studies and operations.
Free REDCap Resources Provided by the CTSC
- Initial consultation (1-2 hours), including meeting time and documentation preparation
- On-line video training modules
- Basic training session (scheduled every three months)
- Custom Advanced and Special Topic training is available on an individual/group basis (scheduled as needed, upon request)
REDCap Project Creation
- Project creation and software usage, including:
- Initial REDCap database (project) creation
- Creation of REDCap user accounts
- Associating PI REDCap user account with project
- Access to REDCap Shared Library
- Support help is available throughout the life of your project
- Support areas include: initial project setup & design, data collection design, electronic survey collection design, data import, data exports & reports
Access REDCap by contacting the representative at the following institutions:
- Case Western Reserve University:
- For questions about account access and new project requests, email Case Western Reserve University.
- For software support and education, email Sheree Hemphill at Case Western Reserve University.
- University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center:
- Cleveland Clinic
- MetroHealth Medical Center
If so, please cite its use. Vanderbilt recommends the following boilerplate language:
Study data were collected and managed using REDCap electronic data capture tools hosted at [YOUR INSTITUTION].1 REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a secure, web-based application designed to support data capture for research studies, providing: 1) an intuitive interface for validated data entry; 2) audit trails for tracking data manipulation and export procedures; 3) automated export procedures for seamless data downloads to common statistical packages; and 4) procedures for importing data from external sources.
1Paul A. Harris, Robert Taylor, Robert Thielke, Jonathon Payne, Nathaniel Gonzalez, Jose G. Conde, Research electronic data capture (REDCap) - A metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support, J Biomed Inform. 2009 Apr;42(2):377-81.