Equity. Innovation. Transformation.
With a 12:1 student-faculty ratio, you can learn alongside professionals
who are shaping the profession of social work and nonprofit organizations
93% employment rate within 6 months
a student mentoring program
#1 in Ohio
22 average faculty h-index
9 research and training centers
The Mandel School is home to nine research and training centers, including three Centers of Excellence, as well as First Year Cleveland, a transformative community movement dedicated to reversing infant death rates and helping all babies celebrate their first birthdays. We facilitate equitable research and training collaborations between faculty and community partners, including human service agencies, service delivery systems and policy makers.
- Begun Center for Violence Prevention Research and Education
- Center for Evidence-Based Practices (Center of Excellence)
- Center for Innovative Practices (Center of Excellence)
- Center on Trauma and Adversity
- Center on Urban Poverty and Community Development
- Child and Adolescent Behavioral Health (Center of Excellence)
- Community Innovation Network
- National Initiative on Mixed-Income Communities
- Partnership for Evaluation, Research and Implementation
Many of our research and training initiatives are multidisciplinary involving multi-institutional partnerships that address broad social problems, social-work practice and policy. We emphasize dissemination, or using innovative research to enhance practice and service delivery in the community. Our reach is local, national and international. Our centers also provide several opportunities for students to participate in all aspects of the research process.
Alumna Susan Sternad-Basel (MSSA '81) was the special guest on Episode 2 of the Mandel School's podcast, Change Leaders.
Sternad-Basel's career journey from social work to the armed forces is notable—she was the former deputy chief data officer of the United States Defense Intelligence Agency. She is currently the president of S&B Solutions, LLC. A devoted volunteer, she received the Mandel School's 2021 Distinguished Service Award.