Please refer to the CWRU Compliance Office website at https://case.edu/compliance/university-policies for a list and detailed information on university policies.
Philosophy on Human Resource Management
Case Western Reserve University's mission focuses on excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship. The university believes success in this mission depends on the collective efforts of a diverse workforce made up of individuals committed to excellence in service and performance. In keeping with this commitment, the university establishes guidelines for policy formulation and administration which:
- Emphasize the integrity of the university community through a unified institutional effort;
- Support and promote individual development for the betterment of the community;
- Recognize individual contribution at all levels and appreciate innovative effort and accomplishments, and;
- Encourage open communication and shared stakeholding to accomplish the mission.
The university takes pride in its tradition of leadership and innovation. The HR policies share this progressive character, providing foundation for a mutually supportive environment distinguished by equal opportunity and sound business practices.
It is necessary to change these policies from time to time to reflect changes in the workforce, employment trends, economic conditions and state and federal legislation. However, any changes in policy will be consistent with the university's approach to:
- Employ talented individuals whose creativity and imagination will support and contribute to achieving the university's mission;
- Communicate university standards and expectations;
- Value diversity;
- Assure equal employment opportunity and a workplace where relationships are based on mutual respect;
- Treat all faculty, staff, and students in a professional, non-discriminatory manner;
- Provide safe, effective working conditions and accommodations, and;
- Provide competitive salaries and benefits.
This is a central reference to all university employee relations policies, procedures, and services. Each policy is a guideline to be used with discretion, understanding, and management in the spirit in which the policy is written. It is intended for use by individuals who have supervisory responsibility for Case Western Reserve University employees (compensated and non-compensated). The contents are available to any member of the Case Western Reserve University community.
It is important that supervisory staff understand and support each university policy. Therefore, every effort is made to include sources for certain policy guidelines (such as other university policies and positions as well as government requirements or legislation). Information regarding policy implementation will be found in accompanying procedures for supervisors.
These policies apply to employees as designated. Faculty should review the Faculty Handbook. Student employees may wish to review the Student Employment Handbook, as referenced, for additional information.
The specific policies and procedures that follow promote the philosophy of the university with regard to standards of excellence; terms of employment; employee development; and employee services. These policies and procedures will be reviewed on a regular basis and may be revised as necessary and appropriate to reflect the dynamics of the university. Changes will be communicated to all Case Western Reserve University employees, and new or revised policies will be distributed to individuals with supervisory responsibility.
Under no circumstances are the statements contained in these policies to be considered a contract of employment, an obligation, or guarantee on the part of the university.
Table of Contents
Standards of Excellence
- Communications and Expectations
- Conflict of Interest
- Supervisory Expectations
- Work Environment
- Visitors In The Workplace
- Personal Interest In Non-Profit Causes or For-Profit Activities
- Social Responsibility
- Personal Privilege/Workplace Attire
- Attendance and Absences
- Employee Classifications and Status
- Individuals Who Are Not Case Western Reserve University Employees
- Alternative Work Arrangements
- Employment Decisions
- Search Committees
- Employment Planning and Responsibility
- Pre-employment Requirements
- Position Requirements
- Temporary Employment
- Employment Orientation Period
- Re-employment of Former Employees
- Termination of Employment
- Term Employment
- Internal Employment Opportunities
- Performance Management
- Positive Corrective Action
- Employee Recognition
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation Philosophy
- Staff Salary Plan
Time Away From CWRU
- Sick Pay
- Bereavement/Funeral Leave
- Paid Parental Leave
- Convenience Leave
- Jury Duty
- Military Leave
- Personal Leave
- Administrative Leave Pending Investigation
- Employee Vacation Bank
- Other Leaves of Absence Procedure