We are pleased to announce that SpartaIRB (SpartaIRB.case.edu), the new electronic IRB submission system for both University Hospitals and Case Western Reserve University, is nearing completion and will be fully implemented in March 2018. The new system is designed to be more user-friendly, and we hope that it will make the process of submitting to the IRB easier and more straightforward.
Over the last several weeks, we have been working behind the scenes to transition approved study data from the current systems (UH’s “cortex.case.edu” and CWRU’s “cwru-iris.case.edu”) at each institution into SpartaIRB.
On March 1, 2018, you will not be able to begin any new work in either iRIS system, and new studies will be submitted in SpartaIRB. Investigators should anticipate delays in processing submissions during this time period.
Below are some actions you should take before the end of February to help the transition go as smoothly as possible:
- Login to your iRIS account and review all your studies.
- Delete any draft (unsubmitted) studies that you do not intend to submit. For draft studies you intend to submit, please complete and submit these as soon as possible, no later than February 16, 2018. Keep in mind that submissions in a draft state will not be moved into the new system.
- Take action on any pending studies that have outstanding stipulations.
- Submit continuing review forms for any study that will expire in February, March, or April. Even if this is a little early, it will help minimize the chance of a delay or an expiration of a study.
- Submit a termination/closure form for any studies that are complete.
In SpartaIRB, much of the information about your study will be submitted to the IRB in a protocol template document, which is a Word file. When submitting in SpartaIRB, it is REQUIRED that these templates are used. These documents are currently available and can be downloaded and reviewed
now. Please use these documents as you begin preparing studies that will be ready to be submitted to the IRB in March.
We will continue to provide updates to the community as we near the transition date. Extensive training will also be available to help researchers navigate the new system. Dates will be announced soon for training sessions at UH and CWRU.
For more information about UH's IRB office, visit UH's Clinical Research office website.
For more information about CWRU's IRB office, visit CWRU's Office of Research Compliance website.
To download the new templates, visit the SpartaIRB Templates page.