To Our Undergraduates Now Living on Campus:
As with many procedures during the pandemic, our practices for end-of-semester move-out and winter break housing will differ significantly from prior years. We write today to detail the university’s approach to both, as well as steps students need to take for each.
Fall Semester Move-Out
The primary deadline to depart campus housing this fall is noon, Monday, Nov. 23.
Students who need to stay on campus beyond the end of in-person classes may apply for an extension to 3 p.m. Friday, Dec. 17. Reasons for extension include ongoing campus research, co-ops and December graduation. The deadline to apply is 5 p.m. Monday, Nov. 9, and you can access the Request for December Checkout form online.
Whether you leave in November or December, you can find additional details about move-out on the housing website.
Winter Break Housing (Dec. 17-Jan. 31)
Students now living on campus—in residence halls and university-operated Greek houses—are eligible to remain during winter break. Students must apply to stay on campus during winter break no later than 5 p.m. Friday, Nov. 6. You can access the Winter Breaking Housing Request form online.
There is no additional housing charge for those approved to stay. Students may opt in to the university’s winter break dining plan, but are not required to do so.
As during this semester, those who wish to remain on campus during winter break will be expected to comply with the university’s policies to reduce risk of transmission of the virus that causes COVID-19. These include:
- abiding by the community commitment
- completing the daily health assessment
- promptly reporting symptoms, even mild ones, to University Health Services (UHS), and
- participating in COVID-19 testing when contacted by UHS.
Those approved to stay on campus during winter break are expected to remain in campus housing for the entirety of winter break—with two exceptions:
- Those who leave Northeast Ohio prior to Jan. 1 may not return until Jan. 4-6, when they will be required to participate in COVID-19 testing before moving into their rooms. In addition, they will be required to comply with Ohio quarantine guidance if returning from a designated state or country, or the university’s isolation requirement if testing positive.
- Those who leave Northeast Ohio after returning Jan. 4-6 may not return until immediately prior to the start of the spring semester Feb. 1 (move-in dates will be announced next month) and must receive a COVID-19 test as part of returning to their campus housing. In addition, they will be required to comply with Ohio quarantine guidance if returning from a designated state or country, or the university’s isolation requirement if testing positive.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com or 216.368.3780.
Associate Director of University Housing
Vice President for Campus Services