Transition Checklist

A guide for military connected students.

Step 1: Apply for admission

Submit your admission application to Case Western Reserve University. 

Step 2: Apply for VA Educational Benefits

Apply for VA educational benefits through the E-Benefits portal.

Please note it can take up to six weeks for the VA to process your application and send your certificate of eligibility (COE). Submit a copy of your COE to the CWRU Registrar's Office.

Phone: 216.368.4310

Step 3: Apply for financial aid

In addition to your VA benefits, you can also apply for scholarships, grants and loan assistance. We recommend completing the FAFSA as early as possible.

Financial Aid at CWRU

Students who need information or who need to make adjustments to their current aid awards should contact the Office of University Financial Aid at 216.356.4530 or

Campus Location:

Sears Room 240: The second floor of Sears is accessible from the quad level (third floor) by entering the second set of glass doors and taking the stairs or elevator down one floor to the second floor.

Step 4: Decide where you will reside

Deciding what your living arrangements will be is an important part of transitioning to CWRU. Living arrangements should be finalized before you begin classes. The University offers numerous choices for living on-campus living. 

If you choose to reside off-campus, check out the resources available through the Off-Campus Student Life Office and download the Off-Campus Living Guide. It is important to be mindful of the expenses that come with living off campus, such as utility bills, internet, etc. CWRU is always available if you need help with making living arrangements.

Step 5: Thoroughly read all correspondence from Case Western Reserve University

You will receive correspondence from the university by email and standard mail, outlining orientation and registration dates, instructions on how to set up your CWRU account and university email account. Please read all this information carefully.