Each summer, the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center trains and supports medical students interested in cancer research. This program offers a valuable opportunity for medical students to participate in extensive, direct experience in laboratory research while completing their medical training.
Now Accepting Applications!
Applications are now being accepted for the Summer Training for Medical Students program.
- Completed application is due by midnight EST, Sunday, March 7, 2021.
- Awardees must be conducting cancer research with a Case Comprehensive Cancer Center member. [View list of members]
Deadline for applications is Sunday, March 7, 2021 at midnight EST.
The Case Comprehensive Cancer Center Summer Medical Training Award will fund medical student research training projects in oncology. Each award will provide $3,000 as a trainee summer stipend, and an additional $500 will be given to the hosting laboratory for research materials and supplies.
Mentors are expected to match this award with a commitment of at least $500 for research supplies and materials for the trainee summer project as well.
The mentor(s) should be well-established and have:
- Mentoring experience with former trainees who have productive scientific careers
- Expertise in the proposed area of research
- Expertise in research methodology.
The mentor(s) must commit the necessary time to provide both specific and general research training for the trainee, supervise the trainee’s research project, and provide the necessary equipment and resources to carry out the research project.
Research and Training Expectations
- The trainee will meet with the mentor or designee on a weekly basis.
- The trainee will design or participate in one or more investigation projects.
- The trainee will submit two progress reports to the mentor outlining the work being performed over the 8-week program (5th week and 8th week).
- The trainee will complete a responsible conduct of research module, and safety modules, preferably prior to the start of the research period.
- The trainee will attend department seminars to further develop understanding of the field.
- Acknowledge the support of the training grant in all posters, presentations that come out of the work in this program with “Supported by a Summer Medical Training research grant from the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center."
The training site should conduct cancer research and have an established research program as indicated, for example by, the following criteria:
- Successful extra- and or intramural competitive grant funding
- Current IRB-approved clinical, or laboratory investigations
- Research presentations at national or international meetings
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Dedicated funds, space, and support personnel available to ensure completion of projects in which the applicant will participate.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in medical school at either Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine or Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine at Case Western Reserve University.
- Select a mentor on the faculty of Case Western Reserve University [View list of mentors]; mentor must agree to the expectations noted below.
- Have completed one or more years of medical school PGY but not have graduated.
- Be in good program academic standing.
- Use of this research experience to satisfy partial requirements for research for the MD degree is preferred.
Please submit your applications to email@example.com as one pdf file consisting of:
- Completed and signed Summer Medical Training Application
- Current curriculum vitae
- Brief (1 page) summary of applicant’s interest in cancer research
- Project Outline (1 page) including:
- Project Title
- Project Overview
- No more than 2 specific aims
- Letter of support from proposed project Mentor
- Email from applicant's medical school confirming status as a current student in good standing.
- Scientific merit of the project
- Mentor responsibility to meet expectations for training as outlined above
- Quality of the research project summary
- Evidence of commitment by the trainee
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.