Alcohol and Drugs

UCS offers a variety of services for students concerning the sensitive issue of alcohol use, drug abuse and dependency. Alcohol and drug abuse can affect people in a variety of ways and can impact individuals, friends and family members. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, approximately 14 million Americans (7.4 percent of the population) meet the diagnostic criteria for alcohol abuse or alcoholism. More than one-half of American adults have a close family member who is an alcoholic, and approximately one in four children younger than 18 years in the United States is exposed to alcohol abuse or alcohol dependence in the family.

Services at UH&CS

Help for Yourself, Family or Friends

Students who are concerned about a friend's use can seek consultation to learn how to effectively get help for their friend. Students who have been affected by a family member's use can meet one-on-one with a therapist to talk about their experience growing up with an alcoholic or drug-abusing person. Learn more about establishing care.

Substance Abuse Self-Assessments

Personalized, evidence-based, online prevention interventions for alcohol & marijuana. They are designed to motivate individuals to reduce their use using personalized information about their own drinking and risk factors. The programs have been designed and are updated with the most current and reliable research available.

University Policies

The university has developed specific policies regarding the sale and use of alcohol on campus, as well as policies regarding the possession and use of illegal drugs.

Resources for Faculty and Staff

Faculty and staff can consult with the counseling center when concerned about a student. Simply call UCS at 216.368.5872 and someone will speak with you by phone. Or, you can come in and meet with a therapist. Faculty and staff who are seeking help for their own alcohol or drug use can find services through the Employee Assistance Program.

Community Support and Treatment Facilities

University Counseling Services works closely with several treatment facilities within the Cleveland area as well as throughout the country. If students choose to seek services elsewhere or need a higher level of treatment, such as inpatient care, they can consult with the counseling center to find treatment to best address their needs.