Become an Authenticated User: Some Zoom events may be restricted to "authenticated users". To become on visit CWRU's Zoom web portal and select "Sign in". If you're prompted log into with your CWRU network ID (ex. abc123) and passphrase. That's it! While there, check out the profile area to confirm your configuration.
Starting A Meeting: It is recommended that you start your meetings via the web portal to ensure you are the host of your meetings. Zoom offers you several ways to start both impromptu and your scheduled meetings.
- From the web portal
- From the downloaded Zoom Application
- From your Zoom mobile device apps
- From your Google Calendar invitation
Before the Meeting: Things to do
- Test your Audio and Video - visit zoom.us/test
- Make sure to choose the correct audio input and output sources and levels
- Make sure to choose the correct camera for the meeting if more than one option is available
- Have the content you intend to share prepared ahead of time
- Make sure you know how to share your screen
Hosting A Meeting: Best practices
- Mute your mic if others are presenting/speaking
- Use “Gallery View” for smaller group/team meetings
- Share your screen
- Share specific applications to control displayed content
- Use “Pause” to freeze the view to the participants
- Use “New Share” to seamlessly transition between shared applications.
- Use the Annotation tools to grab and direct attention
Turn the camera on! – Looking your best
- Lighting should come from in front of you or from the side to best light your face
- Pay attention to hair and clothing – people can still see you
- Think about your background - make it interesting but not distracting
- Put your webcam at eye level or higher – experiment for best angles
- Use the gestures and mannerisms that you would typically use in person
- Make Eye Contact - Try to look at your webcam versus the screen
Here are some great resources from the Zoom Knowledge Base to take a deeper dive into using Zoom.
- Download the Getting Started with PC and Mac Guide
- Watch the Zoom's Getting Started Videos
- Join Zoom's Live Training Webinars