When does the program take place?
YES/SEO is a full-time commitment for an eight-week period from June through July.
Is financial and/or transportation assistance provided?
Program participants are provided a stipend of $2500 for the summer. Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from Case Western Reserve University.
Who is eligible to participate?
To be eligible for the program, applicants must:
- Attend a Cleveland-area high school
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Be at least 14 years old by the time they begin research activities
When do applications open?
YES/SEO applications open in January.
When will I find out if I am accepted into the program?
You will receive notification of admission in early April.
What if a lab/faculty member has previously agreed to let me work with them for the summer? If accepted, can I work with them, or do you reassign me?
If the previous agreement still is amenable to the lab, then we can place you in the lab. Otherwise, you may be reassigned.
Can you tell me why I was not admitted to the program? I’d like to improve my chances in the future.
Unfortunately, due to the significant number of highly competitive applications we receive each year, we cannot offer feedback to individual applicants. Some general tips for submitting excellent applications are:
- Gather all the materials you need before you begin writing the application.
- Write your answers to the application questions in a Word document first. Use Editor or Spellcheck to check for mistakes. When it is perfect, copy and paste it into the online application.
- Avoid one-word answers. Instead, explain your experiences.
- Pay close attention to the questions and make sure to answer them fully.
- Be real about your interests.
- If you are not sure about your scientific focus, say so!
- Get your letters of recommendation and transcripts to us in a timely manner.
Who do I contact with questions about the program?
Please contact J.T. Render at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
We look forward to receiving your application!