Child Care Benefits - Child Care Support During Travel
- Eligibility requirements:
- Faculty with the rank of Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor, Senior Instructor, Instructor, and Lecturer (faculty members who hold adjunct appointments, clinical appointments, and visiting appointments are not eligible) and have an appointment or reappointment letter specifying a salary paid through the university that is 50% or more of a full-time equivalent salary.
- Staff who are regular employees and work at least a half-time or greater schedule.
- Graduate and Undergraduate students taking classes during the semester in which child care support for travel is sought.
- General conditions:
- Reimbursement is available only for dependent care expenses incurred when traveling to attend professional meetings, conferences, workshops and professional development opportunities.
- Only expenses incurred for an “eligible dependent” are reimbursable. An eligible dependent follows Internal Revenue Service definitions. In general, an eligible dependent must be under age 13.
- Child care expenses incurred during domestic travel may be reimbursed up to $100 per day and expenses incurred during international travel may be reimbursed up to $150 per day. A family is limited to reimbursements totaling $1,000 per fiscal year.
- An application form may be submitted when the need for child care during professional travel is known.
- The reason for travel must be substantiated and authorized by:
- Department Chair for faculty members
- Supervisor for staff employees
- Faculty Advisor for students
- The anticipated schedule of necessary child care must be identified.
- An application form must be submitted for each trip that results in incremental child care costs.
- Documentation of child care expenses must be provided.
- Documentation of the professional travel must also be provided.
- Reimbursement will occur after the application form and appropriate expense and travel documentation are reviewed and approved by Benefits Administration.