Responsible University Office:
Related Legislation and University Policies:
Review Period: 5 years
Date of Last Review:
Relates to: executive staff, senior staff, and staff
CWRU seeks to maintain a workplace free of harassment and violence. The university expects all employees to exhibit professionalism in communications and behavior. Professional communication and behavior is the only acceptable form of interaction on campus and in related university business settings. Every employee is expected to conduct themselves in a manner that is a positive reflection of the university. When differences of opinions occur, only constructive, legitimate, and respectful forms of communication are considered appropriate. Rude or un-businesslike behavior is not permitted.
While not an exhaustive list, the university does not condone the following behaviors in the workplace:
- shouting, raised voice, yelling, or screaming;
- threatening language or implicit threats (such as “you’ll be sorry” or “this isn’t over”);
- abusive, degrading, disparaging, or demeaning comments;
- profane, vulgar, or offensive language;
- sexual, racial, or religious jokes or innuendo;
- discriminatory or harassing behavior or language;
- inappropriate physical contact, fighting, and/or horseplay;
- threats or similar intimidating behavior, as reasonably perceived by the recipient (i.e. moving closer aggressively);
- unreasonable refusal to perform job tasks or cooperate with others in carrying out assigned duties; or
- invading personal space or privacy.
Employees who engage in these and similar types of behaviors may be subject to corrective action via the Positive Corrective Action Policy, up to and including termination.
Employees who feel they have been subjected to these types of behaviors should report such behaviors to their supervisor, department HRA, Employee Relations, and/or the Office of Equity immediately. All reports of these types of behaviors will be taken seriously, investigated, and handled appropriately.
Responsible Official: Vice President of Human Resources
Responsible University Office: HR Employee Relations
Effective Date: 07/29/2019
Revision History: 01/01/1995; 01/01/2002, 01/01/2008; 07/01/2015; 07/01/2017; 06/03/2019
Related Legislation and University policies: Positive Corrective Action (PCA) Policy