About Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser (RLDB) is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Canvas. To accomplish this, RLDB does several things, such as:
- displaying assessments in full-screen that cannot be minimized
- removing the menu and toolbar options
- preventing access to other applications
- restricting other system features (copy/paste, print screen, right click, function keys, task switching, keyboard shortcuts)
RLDB can be downloaded by students onto their own computers. For instructors, Canvas quizzes can be configured using the Respondus tool available in each Canvas course.
To get started with Respondus LockDown Browser (RLDB), you will need to create a Canvas course. From there, you can configure the tool and set it up for use with your Canvas quizzes.
For an overview of RLDB, you may wish to view this introductory video. It explains the basic features of LockDown Browser, and how it deters cheating during proctored, online quizzes.
Add RLDB to your Course Navigation
The Respondus LockDown Browser tool is available in all Canvas courses. You may need to enable it in your course by editing the course navigation.
If you have any issues enabling the Respondus tool in your Canvas course, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your class name and Canvas Course ID.
Configure RLDB for your Canvas Quiz
The first thing you’ll need to do in your course is build your Canvas quiz. From there, select the LockDown Browser option on your Canvas course menu to configure RLDB for your quiz. Check out the Instructor Quick Start Guide for specific details.
Set Up a Practice Quiz (Recommended)
To ensure your first exam with RLDB runs smoothly, it’s recommended that you have students take an ungraded practice quiz that requires the use of LockDown Browser. Ideally, have students use the same computers/devices they'll later use with the graded quizzes, including the same network/Wi-Fi environment. The latter is especially important if you plan to have a large number of students starting the quiz simultaneously from a Wi-Fi network. Leave the practice quiz available for the duration of the semester, with unlimited attempts, so students can access it again if they use a different computer or Wi-Fi network.
- LockDown Browser Instructor Quick Start Guide
- The Canvas page for the LockDown Browser tool has a “Get help or provide feedback” link that can be used to report issues to Respondus.
Enrolled in a course that requires the use of Respondus LockDown Browser (RLDB) for online exams in Canvas? You may want to watch this video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser.
Download LockDown Browser
You can download RLDB for Windows or for Mac online and install it on your computer. RLDB has the following system requirements:
- Windows 11, 10, or 8, and 75 MB permanent space on the hard drive
- MacOS 10.12 or higher, and 120 MB permanent space on the hard drive
Once you have RLDB installed, you can use it to start taking Canvas quizzes. Your instructor may ask you to complete a practice quiz. Whether or not a quiz is for practice, the steps remain the same:
- Start LockDown Browser
- Log-in to to Canvas and enter into your class site
- Navigate to the quiz
Note: You won't be able to access a quiz that requires LockDown Browser with a standard web browser. If you try, an error message will indicate that the test requires the use of LockDown Browser. Simply start LockDown Browser and navigate back to the exam to continue. LockDown Browser requires you to shut down any open applications, so make sure you have saved your work and closed other programs before starting RLDB.
When taking an online quiz, follow these guidelines:
- Before starting the test, know how much time is available for it. Make sure you’ve allotted sufficient time to complete it.
- Turn off all mobile devices, phones, etc. and don't have them within reach.
- Clear your area of all external materials - books, papers, other computers, or devices.
- Remain at your desk or workstation for the duration of the test.
- LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications. You will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted.
- LockDown Browser Student Quick Start Guide
- The Windows and Mac versions of LockDown Browser have a "Help Center" button located on the toolbar. Use the "System & Network Check" to troubleshoot issues.
- Training webinars for LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor
- Respondus has a Knowledge Base available online with how-to guides, troubleshooting information, and helpful videos.
- If you're unable to resolve a technical issue with LockDown Browser, go to respondus.com and Submit a Ticket. Provide detailed information about your problem and what steps you took to replicate it.
- Rapid Rollout for Instructors answers the top questions instructors have about LockDown Browser & Respondus Monitor
- Respondus LockDown Browser + Monitor Quick start guide for instructors
- Overview for instructors (video, 2:44)
- How to prepare a Respondus LockDown Browser exam (video, 1:38)
- How to prepare a RLDB + Monitor exam (video, 4:49)
- Respondus LockDown Browser instructor resources
- Respondus Monitor instructor resources
Need additional help? Send an email to email@example.com. You can also contact the [U]Tech Service Desk at (216) 368-HELP, firstname.lastname@example.org - Attn: Secure Testing.