To ensure consistent application of relocation assistance within budget.
For Staff: Administrative Head
For Faculty: Department Chair
Department Chair and/or Dean
The hiring authority who is recruiting out-of-town faculty, executive staff or senior staff may be able to ease the transition and enhance the job offer by providing reasonable relocation assistance through reimbursement of expenses and spouse relocation assistance as shown below. As a general guideline the reimbursement of expenses must be reasonable and should be agreed upon between the Hiring Authority and the new employee based on legitimate criteria of need, distance, and weight of shipment. Employees must understand that some or all of the relocation expenses may be subject to income tax so accurate record-keeping of expenses with receipts is critical.
Guidelines for Hiring Authority
- Confirm that budgeted money is available to offer reasonable relocation assistance.
- Contact the Purchasing Department for contacts and negotiated pricing with moving companies.
- Review the overall relocation package with the Employment office of the Human Resources Department for consistency with University practice and as a resource for service providers.
- All reimbursable relocation expenses will be charged to the hiring department.
Relocation Assistance Program for Spouse
- This service is available once a candidate has accepted the position although the hiring authority may authorize up to 90 minutes of consultation with spouses of candidates to assist in the relocation decision.
- The hiring authority will consult with the Employment office regarding available relocation services for trailing spouses.
- The hiring authority is to select from a menu of services negotiated between Case Western Reserve University and the relocation service and obtain a fee quote.
- The hiring authority is to make the introduction of the service to the new hire and the new hire's spouse.
- Billing for the service will be sent directly to the hiring department.
- If the hiring department or employee has questions regarding the quality of the service provider, they may contact the Employment office of the Human Resources Department to confirm their expectations and/or to negotiate on behalf of the employee.