Update to Mandel School Supply Policy due to COVID-19
For those faculty and staff who are typically on-campus, but are now required to work remotely due to COVID-19, we understand that obtaining standard office supplies may be an issue.
During this time, please follow the "Additional Guidelines for Remote Employees" section found below in our existing school supply policy. This will allow you to purchase up to $75 of standard supplies (see policy for definition) and be reimbursed. In addition to that, non-standard items can be reimbursed from sponsored projects (RES, TRN) as allowable. In order to be reimbursed, an itemized receipt with proof of purchase is required.
Please purchase only reasonable quantities and what is essential for your work. All unused items should come back to the School once we are able to return to campus.
Our existing policy excludes reimbursement for printers and toners/ink (regardless of funding source). For those working remotely due to COVID-19, there will be an exception to this. While printers will still not be covered, the School will reimburse you for one-half the cost of a regular black & white toner or ink cartridge. This purchase still falls under the $75 maximum. This exception does not apply to those designated as "remote employees" before COVID-19.
- The Mandel School provides basic office supplies for all employees. Please see the list below. These items are paid for by the School and not an individual department or grant budget. These items are referred to as “standard.”
- Individual departments or grant projects may provide specialty items (e.g., desk organizers, calculators, special binders, OR a special quantity of a “standard” supply) with the approval of the department head or PI. These items are paid for by the individual department or grant budget. These items are referred to as “non-standard.”
- For grant purchases: all items must be allowable per the specific grant’s budget and any other applicable terms and conditions.
- Please see the contacts below for:
- Questions about this policy.
- In advance of any special or unusual purchase (e.g., need to have items at a different location or unusual quantity).
- Assistance in determining what is a “standard” or “non-standard” supply. This distinction is important as it determines how the item is paid for..
|Rachel Blake, Director of Finance||Department purchased (OPR, INS)|
|Tatiana Riedel, Assistant Director of Research Administration||Grant purchases (RES, TRN, SPC, OSA)|
Additional Guidelines for Remote Employees
While it is always preferable to order any supply through the University’s Procurement system, we need to accommodate MSASS remote employees. A remote employee is one that does not have an assigned space in a MSASS facility. This does not include employees who may have an alternative work schedule which permits them to work from another location on select days.
- Remote employees who visit campus: These individuals can pre-order standard supplies and pick them up at their next visit. Non-standard supplies can also be ordered. See “All Employees” section for contacts.
- Remote employees who do not visit campus: These individuals can purchase standard office supplies from a local retailer and be reimbursed. They can also be reimbursed for non-standard supplies (department or grant funded) with the approval of the department head or PI. Each remote employee will be permitted to spend up to $75 per fiscal year (for standard supplies). This limit will be reviewed on an annual basis. Please be aware that a reimbursement may be denied if the purchase does not follow these guidelines. Please contact either Rachel Blake, Tatiana Riedel or your Center Administrator prior to submitting for reimbursement.
- Please note the following guidelines for all purchases:
- For those within the State of Ohio: local sales tax will only be reimbursed when the total purchase is below $75 (including sales tax). Purchases at $75 or above can be reimbursed, but the employee will not receive the sales tax portion. This rule has been set by the University’s Office of Procurement and is in response to the University’s tax exempt status in Ohio. Please note it is not permissible to submit separate receipts for similar items from the same time period to circumvent the $75 limit (even from different stores).
- For those outside the State of Ohio: Local sales tax will be reimbursed regardless of total purchase price.
- Printers and toner/ink will not be reimbursed, regardless of funding source.
Standard Office Supplies
- 3 Tab File Folders
- Binder Clips
- Black Pens
- Blue Pens
- Copier Paper - White
- Dry Erase Erasers
- Dry Erase Markers
- Flip Chart Paper
- Hanging File Folders
- Paper Clips
- Post-it Notes – yellow squares (please note that other sizes, colors, “pop-up”, etc. are not standard)
- Printing Calculator Paper
- Rubber Bands
- Sharpie Markers
- Tape dispensers
- Transparent Tape
- Writing Pads (large & small)
- The Mandel School provides basic computer equipment for all employees, regardless of location. This includes a laptop or desktop computer, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. These items are paid for by the School and not an individual department budget.
- Printers and toner/ink are not included regardless of location.
- Individual departments or grant projects may provide additional equipment (not furniture) for use in an assigned space in a MSASS facility (e.g., a second monitor) with the approval of the department head or PI. These items are paid for by the individual department or grant budget.
- Faculty who wish to purchase equipment for use in their home office, may do so using start-up funding. Operating accounts, endowments, grant funding and discretionary accounts are not permitted.
- Furniture cannot be purchased with any source of funding at the Mandel School (regardless of location). This includes start-up funding, operating accounts, endowments, and grants. The only exception is when an employee has an official accommodation in place as approved by the University’s Office of Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunity (OIDEO). Please contact Melissa Van, Director of Human Resources, if you have any questions about this process.