Need assistance in planning your marketing or communications project?
This page supplements information from University Marketing and Communications (UMC) and the Mandel School's Editorial Guide. It provides guidance and sample materials for faculty and staff to share information and connect with wider audiences, including internal audiences (faculty, staff and students) and external audiences (prospective students, alumni and donors). It also provides information on the university’s digital accessibility policy.
In 2023, Case Western Reserve refreshed its brand with a bolder logo, new font styles and a brighter color palette to help stand out as a forward-thinking national research university. As part of this visual identity refresh, UMC has built a website that outlines the brand guidelines, as well as a brand book. If you have brand-specific questions that are not answered in the FAQ page, please email email@example.com.
The new logo comes in five configurations: two-line, four-line, four-line stacked, four-line centered and as an acronym. Because of its strong association with the university, the approved logo should appear on the cover of all marketing communications. The default placement for the logo should be at the bottom of the communications piece.
To download CWRU logos:
- Visit the Webdam portal
- Login using Single Sign On
- Click "University Logo, 2023–Present"
- Navigate the folders to determine which logo(s) you would like to download
- Click the "Download" arrow
- Enter your reason for requesting the logo—UMC's branding team will not be able to release the logo without an explanation for its intended use
- The brand team will review your request and you will be notified via email once your request is approved
- Arizona Text is the primary font for print communications. It can also be used in digital communications, at the discretion of UMC.
- Arizona Sans is the primary font for digital communications. It can be used for body copy in print materials.
- When the Arizona font family is not available for use (e.g., emails, Google Slides, external affiliated websites), Open Sans should be the default font for communications, as it most closely matches our premium brand fonts. Where Google fonts are not possible, the default font is Arial.
- Arizona Text and Arizona Sans include four weights. There are a variety of ways to create contrast between text elements by using the brand typefaces. Always use contrasting weights and sizes to create a hierarchy of information.
To download Arizona fonts:
- Visit the Webdam portal
- Login using Single Sign On
- Click "University Logo, 2023–Present"
- Open the "CWRU fonts" folder to download the available fonts
To install Arizona fonts:
- Once the font is downloaded, double click the zip file containing the fonts
- Double click the unzipped folder that contains the list of fonts
- Select all fonts by clicking "Control + A"
- Once all fonts are selected, right click and select "Open"
- The application "Font Book" will open (if you run into an error message, click "Ok" and the next step will still allow you to work around)
- Click "My fonts" on the left
- Drag the folder of fonts into the "My fonts" tab in Font Book
- In order for the new fonts to appear, you will need to restart your laptop
- After restarting, open a Microsoft Word document to ensure the font appears on the list
We want to share exciting, important and/or interesting news about our faculty, staff and students within our school and, when appropriate, across campus. Please submit the details of faculty, staff and student achievements and items of interest with as much advance notice as possible. Pay particular attention to spelling and confirm titles/departments are correct. Whenever possible, include a photo (with a caption describing who is pictured, if needed) to enhance the article. For more information, view the Mandel School's Editorial Guide.
The Daily publishes content relevant to a broad spectrum of the university community. All members of the campus community can submit an announcement to The Daily but are encouraged to review the editorial guidelines before sharing.
Events, Campus Updates, Faculty & Staff and Student Life listings must all be open to and of interest to members of the community from more than just one school. All submissions must be received at least three to five business days in advance of the preferred run date.
Feature articles are written by the UMC team and must have broad editorial interest and a strong news peg.
The screens located throughout campus serve as a useful tool for disseminating information about news and events of interest to students, faculty and staff. Consistency and continuity of presentation helps improve the effectiveness of that communication. To that end, UMC has assembled a list of best practices for the slides displayed on digital screens.
- Create your slide by making a copy of one of the slides in this template.
- If available, include an image that does not include text (logos are an exception).
- Limit words so each slide is readable in under 10 seconds.
- Include a QR code if more information is available.
- For slides promoting events, please include the following information:
- Name of event, occurrence, activity or happening
- Time—use figures and lowercase letters (e.g. 9 a.m., 6 p.m.)
- Additional details (typically related to “who” or “why” and kept brief)
- Choose one call to action (e.g. contact name, phone number, visit website, etc.)
- To advertise on the Mandel School's digital screens, please submit slides to firstname.lastname@example.org at least three (3) days before you would like your news posted.
To show the depth and range of events that our school, faculty and staff are involved in, tell us about your upcoming events so we can cross-list and advertise them on the school's events page and/or events calendar.
The Mandel School sends out two internal newsletters on a bi-weekly basis during the academic year: the Mandel Memo to faculty and staff and the Mandel Roundup to students. For the current newsletter schedule, please view the Mandel School Events Calendar.
Submit any announcements, opportunities, news and events for inclusion in the newsletters by the Friday prior to each newsletter week.
Social media can be a powerful tool to disseminate news, connect with audiences and build a sense of community. At Case Western Reserve, we support the use of social media by schools and units—as long as there is a clear strategy behind it. Best practices for managing social media accounts are constantly changing, but we strive to ensure our content is accurate, timely and the best possible representation of our work. Please follow these guidelines when you have information that you would like to have shared on our social media pages:
- Submissions must be received at least one (1) week before you would like it to be posted. We will do our best to share your information in a way that aligns with our platform’s goals—as well as accommodate requests related to the timing of publishing your content—based on availability on our content planning calendar and our content strategy. To submit content for consideration, please email email@example.com.
- See the types of content we share and general best practices in the Mandel School's Editorial Guide.
A variety of templates are now available for you to download and customize:
- Table tents
- To reserve flyer space in the Mandel School's table tents, email firstname.lastname@example.org for prior approval and to schedule. Please include a proof of your flyer. Priority will be given to departments and organizations affiliated with the Mandel School. If approved, you must provide 20 pre-cut 4" x 6" flyers to Suite 315. If there are any unapproved flyers in the school's table tents, they will be promptly removed and discarded. For more information, call 216.368.8673.
- Email signatures: Copy and paste the below template into your email signature settings:
Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences
Case Western Reserve University
[Office location, Suite/Room #] (optional)
10900 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7164
[xxx.xxx.xxxx] cell (optional)
Note: If you would like to include links to the website or our social media pages, embed them each in a logo icon at the bottom of your signature. To do this, click to Gmail Settings (the gear image at the top right) and scroll down to the Signature section. Click Insert Image (picture icon), upload your image and Link to a page (paper clip icon).
Please submit requests for web updates to email@example.com with as much detail as possible (URL for the page, clear guidance on where the content is to be added/deleted/updates, new/approved text to be added, accessible and clear images, etc.).
- Content on university websites must follow CWRU editorial, brand and accessibility guidelines.
- Design requests may be limited by university templates.
- Submissions must be received at least three (3) days before you would like it to be posted. Additional time may be needed for major revisions or to create new pages.
We work closely with the university’s media relations team to promote our news through print, broadcast and online media outlets. We help our media relations team identify compelling news and research stories, connect reporters with faculty experts, and help members of the media access photos and press releases.
- You have been contacted by a member of the media to serve as a source for a story.
- You have a story idea you think news media would be interested in covering.
- You have an achievement (research, scholarship, creative endeavor, career) you think the university should publicize.
- Your students have an achievement you think the university should publicize.
A collection of frequently requested CWRU images and official university logos are available in a variety of formats on Webdam. Case Western Reserve University must be credited for all still images.
You can find Mandel School-specific photos here.
Royalty-free stock images are available from Getty Images upon request. If you are in need of stock photos, search their library of images, click on the photos you like, and email the links and/or creative numbers to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we are not able to download all requested images due to our subscription restrictions.
CWRU's on-campus video services company, MediaVision, provides traditional audio visual (AV), video and event support services for small events, such as lectures and meeting room support, to large scale events, such as commencement ceremonies.
To request AV, video and event services, download and fill out their request form and email it to email@example.com. They will contact you about availability and confirm the details of your request.
FedEx Office printing services in Thwing can handle a variety of print projects to meet your needs:
- Name Badges
- The standard poster size is 56” x 42”. This poster template is correctly sized and contains the appropriate logo and placement. If your poster must meet other requirements, please incorporate the same logo and placement, and avoid large, solid blocks of dark colors, which tend to print darker than shown on-screen and can easily smudge after printing.
- Business Cards (select Non-standard > Business Card - MSASS)
- Our Mailing Address is 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7164
- Our Campus Location / Visitors and Deliveries Address is 11235 Bellflower Road (School) or 11402 Bellflower Road (Center), depending on where your office is located
- All mail is delivered to the School and sorted into the mailboxes in the room behind the receptionist. Campus Mail does not deliver mail to the Center, as there are no mailboxes there.
From this page, select Place an Order > SSO login > Speed Type Payment > choose the appropriate product category (note the instructions for business cards above).
The Mandel School will pay for faculty and staff business cards and name badges only. Please contact Craig Zullig for the speedtype.