CampusGroups offers many features when setting up different types of events. The following guide highlights different optional features that can be useful for your event, as well as best practices for setting up particular types of events.
Just getting started? Check our Event Creation Guide for basic event creation instructions.
If you need additional help with CampusGroups event configuration, email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Advanced Event Type Settings
Open (attendee registers separately for each event)
To connect a series of events that do not require continuous attendance, you can use a dedicated event tag. This indicates that the events are part of the same series and allows you to filter events by your tag on CampusGroups.
Contact email@example.com to set up a dedicated event series tag. Dedicated event tags are not guaranteed and at the discretion of CampusGroups administrators.
Once you have your dedicated tag, create your events and add the tag in the Event Tags field. You can then create and share a filtered link to the CampusGroups events page with your tag already added to the filter, making it easier for recipients to see all events in the series.
To create the filtered link:
- Navigate to the events tab in CampusGroups
- In the filter options, set your desired filters and wait for the events list to update.
- You will see that the URL now has added text at the end.
- The URL for sharing will have a format similar to https://community.case.edu/
- The new URL will link to the Event Page with your event tag already set in the filter, showing your recipients all events you have tagged.
Automatic Registration for Event Series (attendee registers once to attend all events)
If your event series requires attendance for every session and separate registration for each event is not necessary, you can have attendees automatically registered for each events. Automatic registration allows attendees automatically be registered for all events by registering for a single specified eveny.
- Create all events in your series.
- Edit your initial event - this will be the event that attendees will register for that will also automatically register them for the consecutive events.
- Under Advanced Options, open Automatically register to other events
- Select all relevant events
- Make sure to save your event
When making a conference or multi-day event, you can group all session events under a main conference event. Attendees would be able to see all session events and links to register for each one through the main event page. Each session event is still a unique event and attendees, so you can decide if you want attendees to pre-register for sessions they plan to attend.
Creating the Main Conference Event
The main conference event will have a few different settings than a normal event.
- In When, the Start Date and End Date will span the entirety duration of your conference.
- In Registration Options, under Do you want to let people register to this event?, select No and leave the Website URL input box empty. This setting is only for the main event, not the individual session events.
- Once you have finished creating the main event, you can start.
Creating the Session Events
- Set up your session event as desired.
- Under Advanced Options, open the Parent event sub-menu and select your main conference event.
You can collect your group’s dues through a CampusGroups event. Your group members will pay dues by “registering” for this event. Refer to the Event Creation Guide for creating events, then use the settings below for the best practices to set up dues.
You will need to invite your members to this event. Please refer to the [Event Management Guide]
Under Access & Display Options, use the following settings:
- Who is allowed to register?- Group Members only
- Who can see this event?- No one (always hide from calendar).
- In Registration Options, Under Manage(the last gray cell on the right) click the blue edit to access registration options.
- This “ticket” will allow your group members to pay for their dues
- Name your “ticket” as needed (e.g. GroupName Dues Fall 2023) and set the price.
- If you wish to set a deadline to pay dues, you can set the date and time in End Sales Date and End Sales time.
- Under Attendance limit, set the Tickets limit to 1 to ensure each member only pays once.
When organizing an online-only event (e.g. Zoom webinar), you have the option to add the meeting link to your event. This link will be automatically emailed to attendees as the event approaches.
Make sure that the link is functioning properly - test it after adding it to the event.
It is crucial to format the link correctly, or attendees may face issues while trying to join the meeting, such as being prompted to enter a password or being unable to join at all
Under Who can see the meeting link, you can change who can see the link. If it is a public event you can set it to Everyone otherwise set it to Only display the meeting link to users who are registered.
- Under Meeting, put your link in Meeting Link and set the correct Meeting App
- You can generate a Zoom link by clicking the gray Create Video Conferencing Link button.
- Check the Zoom link, properly formatted links begin with “https://cwru.zoom.us/…”
If you have events that repeat with little variation, such as group or officer meetings, you can set them to recur on future dates.
When you add recurrences to an event, it will create separate events on all the days you specify. Take care not to set up the recurrences more than once. After creating the recurring events, you can edit each one individually without affecting the other events in the series. If you have a series of related events that are not the same, you should refer to the Event Series guide.
To set-up recurrences
- Create your event as completely as possible and save it.
- Edit your new event.
- Under When, go to Recurring event settings.
- Check the boxes next to the dates you want to create identical events on.
- Save the event.
- Check your Upcoming Events for the newly-created events.
Additional Event Settings and Features
If your event has limited attendance, you can activate the waiting list. If all tickets are sold, users can continue to register for the event, but they will be put on the waitlist. You are able to activate waiting lists for separate registration options.
To activate the waiting list:
- Navigate to Registration Options
- Edit your registration options
- Set Allow waiting list to Yes
View your Wait List
On the event Manage page, in the Attendees section. Attendees on the waitlist are marked by an orange Waiting List square with their position below.
You can filter waitlist attendees in the Status filter option and setting it to Waiting List.
Manual promotion allows that allows you to manually move attendees from the waiting list to the main attendee list.
To manually promote attendees:
- Manage your event
- Under the Attendees section, find the attendee you wish to promote
- Under the orange Waiting List square, click Promote
After activating the waiting list, you can turn on auto-promote to automatically add attendees if spots open up. If it is a paid event, they will be given the opportunity to purchase a ticket.
To activate auto-promote:
- Create your event
- In Registration Options, set Allow waiting list to Yes.
- Save your Registration Settings.
- Finishing creating your event and Save it
- Manage your event, Registration Options, under Waiting List Activation to activate Auto-promote
If your event has any speakers or sponsors, you can enhance your event page by adding their information and logos.
To add a speaker:
- In Advanced Options, open the Speakers menu.
- Click the gray Add Speaker button
- If the speaker has already been added, you can activate the "Add to Event" setting. If not, click on the green "Create Speaker" button and fill out the required information.
If your event is sponsored, you can showcase your sponsors and their level of sponsorship by adding their logos.
To add a Sponsor:
- In Advanced Options, open the Sponsors menu.
- Click the gray Add a New Sponsor button
- Fill out the form with the sponsor's information and upload their logo.
- Click the green "Save" button to add the sponsor to your event page.
If you are planning a large paid event(500+ attendees), please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for best practices to set up your event.