Summertime Customer Service Assistants (CSAs) assume the responsibilities of staffing the summer area office and serving on the coordinating team for the University Guest Housing and Conference Housing operations. CSAs play a key role in promoting the University to guests who may become future students, as well as others who are visiting from other educational institutions around the world. They are often the first University community members with whom our guests have the opportunity to interact, and it is imperative that CSAs are well prepared and enthusiastic in carrying out their responsibilities as campus leaders.
- Flexible summer schedule
- Limited coursework and outside volunteer activities allowed with prior approval
- Proficiency with basic PC applications preferred
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work equally well in a team setting or individually
- Willingness to perform widely varied duties with a positive attitude and enthusiasm
- Contract employment dates: May 15, 2023 - August 28, 2023
- Work 12 hours in either or both of the Residential Area Offices prior to Summer Training
- Attend two to three pre-service training sessions of 1 to 2 hours in length, to be scheduled in April, 2023
- Attend weekly staff meetings to receive information regarding incoming students, university guests, conferences, upcoming events, scheduling, and other housing information
- Assist with area office and on-site check-in and check-out procedures. Present relevant housing, safety/security, social, and recreational information
- Assist in coordinating key distribution and room assignments for summer students, university guests, and conference participants
- Assist in the sorting, delivery, and forwarding of U.S. mail and packages
- Assist in maintaining a comprehensive desk service, including linens, keys, room assignments, cash handling, and standardized check-in and check-out procedures
- Assist with billing procedures for university guests utilizing established cash handling and accounting guidelines
- Accurately and appropriately document all transactions
- Prepare buildings and check-in for conference guests
- Work at least two shifts (totaling 10 hours) in the area office during the spring semester to become familiar with the office and procedures before summer training (which happens in Late May) begins. The dates and times will be determined once hired. These are intended for staff who have not previously worked in the area offices, and it provides new hires with a head-start on training for the summer
- Participate in a seven-day on-duty rotation with other student staff members, including holidays. When on duty, staff must remain in assigned room space during scheduled duty hours in order to respond to room lockouts, medical and maintenance emergencies, late check-ins, etc.
- Assist guests in a positive and helpful manner
- Ensure that buildings and grounds have appropriate identification, and ensure that informational and directional signs are properly posted
- Assist with Inspecting routine maintenance and building furniture inventories
- Serve as a point person for assigned conference, guest, or orientation groups
- Perform additional responsibilities as assigned by appropriate staff
The starting hourly rate for summer CSAs is $11.10 per hour.
CSAs are provided with housing as compensation for their on-call responsibilities.*
*Please note that housing is provided during the duration of the contract. Summer employees, currently living on campus for Spring 2023, receive housing during the Spring semester transition period through May 27. Students hired for the summer who are not living in University operated residence hall or Greek House during the Fall 2023 semester, or those living in a leased or privately owned Greek House in Fall 2023, are only provided housing through Sunday, August 6 and are responsible for their own housing arrangement thereafter.
Application and Interview Process
To apply for this position please complete the online application, including your resume and cover letter. Within a few days, you will receive a confirmation email from University Housing. You may apply for more than one of the two available positions (CSA or SFA) at the same time. Please indicate the position or positions for which you are applying in your cover letter.
This position overview is subject to change between the summer semesters.