The Case Concert Choir is an auditioned mixed-voice ensemble with a focus on performing both a cappella and accompanied choral music from a variety of time periods and genres. The ensemble was originally founded in 2004 as part of a University Presidential Initiative to support the Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences. Case Concert Choir maintains a tradition of excellence in performance, strives to improve group and individual musicianship skills, and fosters community building.
Director: Dr. Christopher Clark, Director of Choirs
Course Documents and Schedule
- Thu., Aug. 24: Ensembles Overview (Harkness Chapel, 3:00 PM) for new students Discover Week
- Mon., Aug. 28: Classes begin; Open Choir Rehearsal (Harkness Chapel, 7:00-8:30 PM)
- Wed., Aug. 30: Auditions
- Thu., Aug. 31: Auditions
- Fri., Sep. 1: Auditions
- Wed., Sep. 6: Rehearsals begin (Harkness Chapel, 7:00-8:30 PM)
- Wed., Jan. 17: Open Choir Rehearsal (Harkness Chapel, 7:00-8:30 PM)
- Fri., Feb. 24: Choral Spectrum Concert (Maltz Performing Arts Center, 7:30 PM)
- Wed., April 17: Concert Choir/Symphony Orchestra Collaboration Concert (Maltz Performing Arts Center, 7:30 PM)
- Concert Choir is open to all CWRU/CIM undergraduate or graduate students and qualified community members, faculty, and staff.
- Auditions are required once per year and take place in-person during the first week of classes.
- A fall semester audition also counts as an audition for the spring semester. However, new members can audition the first week of the spring semester.
- Current students may choose to participate in the ensemble for variable credit (0.00 or 1.00 units).
- Participation in our non-auditioned vocal groups is encouraged, University Chorale and Case Men's Glee Club.
Auditioning in the Spring Semester?
- Please email Dr. Clark (email@example.com) to schedule an audition (Spring semester)
- Indicate if you are a new member to the Concert Choir or a returning member
- Please sign up for an audition time slot on the audition sign-up sheet.
- 1st-Year/New Students: Select the "New Student" option to request an audition slot (10-min).
- Returning Students: Select the "Returning Student" option to request an audition slot (5-min).
- Audition times are approximate.
- If you can't make any of the open audition slots, please email Dr. Clark to schedule an alternative audition time.
Visit this page for the audition sign-up sheet (or click the button below).
The sheet music, audition instructions, part learning tracks, and the track you will be auditioning with is provided the Google Folder at the link below. Students should arrive 5-minutes prior to the assigned time and be prepared to sight read, vocalize, and range test during the audition.
Visit this page for Concert Choir audition materials (or click the button below).
Questions: Dr. Christopher Clark, Director of Choirs
Enrollment permissions are granted in the Student Information System (SIS) following a successful audition or during the first week of class. Once course permissions have been granted (before the Drop/Add period ends) students should return to their SIS account to register in the appropriate MUEN course. The Drop/Add Period ends on the 2nd Friday of each semester.
All performances held in the Maltz Performing Arts Center as part of the Silver Hall Concert Series or in Harkness Chapel as part of the CWRU Music Concert Series are live-streamed for free concurrently with the posted concert time. All concerts occur in eastern time.
The ensemble has performed larger works of choral/orchestral repertoire through collaborations with our University Circle neighbor institutions, including Mozart Requiem, 2011; Vaughan Williams Toward the Unknown Region, 2012; Haydn Schöpfungsmesse, 2013; Bernstein Chichester Psalms, 2014; Beethoven Meeresstille und glückliche Fahrt, Haydn Te Deum and Mendelssohn Magnificat, 2015; Duruflé Requiem and Quatre Motets, 2016; Handel Coronation Anthems, 2017; Rheinberger Mass and Rutter Mass of the Children, 2018; and David Childs Solas, 2018 world premiere (100th anniversary of Armistice Day).
Enjoy a YouTube playlist of the Case Concert Choir recent performances. Below is our recording of Water Fountain by Merrill Garbus, arr. Kristopher Fulton: