Case Western Reserve University President Eric W. Kaler has announced the search committee chair and membership for the university’s next provost and executive vice president search. School of Medicine Dean and Senior Vice President for Medical Affairs Stanton L. Gerson will chair the search committee.
Gerson joined the medical school faculty in 1983 and served as interim dean of the School of Medicine from July 2020 to September 2021, when he was named permanent dean. He is the director of the National Center for Regenerative Medicine and former director of the National Cancer Institute-designated Case Comprehensive Cancer Center. He also is the Asa and Patricia Shiverick—Jane Shiverick (Tripp) Professor of Hematological Oncology and a Distinguished University Professor. In 2022, Gerson co-chaired the search committee for the senior vice president for research and technology transfer, a position held by Michael Oakes.
“Dean Gerson is a respected leader who possesses great wisdom and experience—these are valuable qualities he brings to the university’s leadership team and to the provost search committee,” Kaler said.
The committee’s other members are:
- Bolu Ajuboye, associate professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering;
- Eileen Anderson, the Anne Templeton Zimmerman MD Professor in Bioethics in the Department of Bioethics;
- Tim Beal, Distinguished University Professor and the Florence Harkness Professor of Religion in the Department of Religious Studies;
- Betsy Bolman, the Elise B. Smith Professor in the Liberal Arts and professor and chair of the Department of Art History and Art;
- Burcu Gurkan, the Nord Distinguished Associate Professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering;
- Ron Hickman, professor and associate dean for research at the Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing;
- Jessie Hill, the Judge Ben C. Green Professor of Law and associate dean for research and faculty development at the School of Law.
- Raymond Krajci, chair of the Staff Advisory Council
- Maureen McEnery, associate professor in the Department of Neurology and chair of the Faculty Senate;
- Sharon Milligan, associate professor at the Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences;
- Andres Pinto, professor and chair of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences;
- Simon Peck, associate professor in the Department of Design and Innovation;
- John Ruhl, professor in the Department of Physics;
- Anna Samia, professor and chair of the Department of Chemistry;
- Bryan Schmidt, assistant professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering;
- Peter Shulman, associate professor in the Department of History;
- Francesca Veres, president of the Graduate Student Council;
- Basil Yaseen, president of the Undergraduate Student Government; and
- Vivien Yee, associate professor in the Department of Chemistry.
“This search committee represents diverse perspectives from across our campus. Collectively, they possess deep knowledge of the university, our mission and our priorities. I am confident that they will lead us to the strongest candidate to serve as our next provost,” Kaler said.
The committee will begin its work this month with the goal of concluding the search by the end of the calendar year.
The search firm Education Executives, LLC will assist the university in the search process.