Students who have received a Financial Aid Award Letter should follow the instructions outlined below. Those have not received a Financial Aid Award Letter, please check the My Financial Aid portal under the Documents and Messages section to ensure all required documents and applications have been received by the School of Medicine Office of Financial Aid.
You must ACCEPT your Financial Aid Award and COMPLETE all corresponding loan documents by June 13, 2022.
View and Accept Your Award:
- Head to the My Financial Aid portal
- At the top left-hand corner, click on 'Menu'
- Select 'Accept Your Award'
- Read and Accept the Terms and Conditions disclosure
- You should then see your Financial Aid Award in the format shown below
The above steps allows you to view as well as accept your award on the portal. Agreement to the Terms and Conditions does not signify acceptance of your award.
The amount of each Federal Loan awarded is the MAXIMUM amount available for the academic year.
You MUST reduce the amount of each loan before accepting the award if you do not want to receive the maximum amount available.
- Under 'Total', adjust the amount of each loan, if needed
- Under 'Status', select Accept or Decline from the dropdown menu
- You must change the status of each award to either Accept or Decline before clicking 'Submit'
Federal Direct Loans should be accepted in the following order:
- Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan ($20,500 per AY)
- Additional Fed. Direct Unsubsidized Loan (MD only, $24,444 or $26,667 based on length of AY.)
- Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan (equals Cost of Attendance minus all other aid per AY)
If you need your loans to disburse in uneven amounts from one semester to another, please accept the total amount you would like for the year and then email our office at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Name of the loan you would like to have disbursed unevenly
- Amounts for each semester (even if one semester is $0 for disbursement)
Contact our office if you need to reduce or increase your loans after you have completed the acceptance process.
Our office encourages you to budget approximately the total amount of funds you will need for the school year and accept slightly more than that amount (taking into account loan origination fees and unanticipated expenses). We can always disburse more funds to you later in the year if you accept less than initially offered.