With a focus on diversity, inclusiveness and equity, the 2021 Education Retreat, Diversity and Inclusion in Education, hosted over 300 attendees from Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) School of Medicine, School of Nursing and the four affiliate hospitals: Cleveland Clinic, MetroHealth, University Hospitals and Cleveland VA.
The retreat began with a plenary session, Keeping our Pledge to Health Equity and Anti-Racism and featured two speakers from the University of Chicago’s Pritzker School of Medicine: Associate Dean of Multicultural Affairs and Associate Vice Chair for Diversity and Inclusion Monica Vela, MD, FACP; and James N. Woodruff, MD. Stressing the leadership and infrastructure necessary for successful diversity equity and inclusion initiatives, the speakers advocated system-level changes promoting health equity and accountable bias reporting mechanisms, and recommended structural competency training for trainees and faculty.
The participants then attended poster presentations in four areas:
- Curriculum Development
- Diversity and Disparity
- Residents as Teachers and Learners
- Technology, Simulation, and Virtual Education
Afterward, attendees chose one of six workshops including sessions on: enhancing psychological safety to prevent learner mistreatment; LGBTQ+ curricular needs; anti-racism; microaggression; creating equity and inclusion along the pipeline for underrepresented medical (URiM) students, and trainees and faculty; and bridging the gap in values with Muslim trainees.
The retreat concluded with the annual awards ceremony.
The 2020 Edmond S. Ricanati, MD Award IQ Facilitator Award winners:
- Marcin Golczak, PhD
- Shigemi Matsuyama, PhD
- Howard Simon, PhD
The 2021 Edmond S. Ricanati, MD Award IQ Facilitator Award winners:
- Barbara Baetz-Greenwalt, MD, MBA
- Beata Jastrzebska, PhD
- Karen Mulloy, DO, MSCH
The 2020 Tom Mettee Award for Foundations in Clinical Medicine:
- Michael Joshua Seidman, MD
Scholarship in Teaching Awards in UME, GME and CME:
View the list of awardees here.
Academy of Scholar Educators
2021 New Members:
- Ingrid Anderson, MD, Pediatric Critical Care, University Hospitals
- Rose Beck, MD, PhD, Associate Professor, Pathology, CWRU
- Andrei Brateanu, MD, Pediatric Critical Care, University Hospitals
- Katherine Griswold, MD, Pediatrics, University Hospitals
- Sangeeta Krishna, MD, Pediatrician, Cleveland Clinic
- Hua Lou, PhD, Associate Professor, Genetics and Genome Sciences, CWRU
- Jeffrey Luk, MD, MS, Emergency Medicine, University Hospitals
- Georges Nakhous, MD, MeD, Nephrologist, Cleveland Clinic
- Allison Payne, MD, MSCR, Neonatologist, University Hospitals
- James Pile, MD, Residency Program Director, MetroHealth
- Jonathan Taliercio, DO, Nephrology/Hypertension, Cleveland Clinic
- Wei Xiong, MD, Nephrology/Vascular Neurology, University Hospitals
2021 New Fellows:
- Richard Blinkhorn, MD, Chair, Department of Medicine, MetroHealth
- Anastasia Rowland-Seymour, MD, Internal Medicine, MetroHealth; Medical Director, CWRU PA Program
Congratulations to all of the award winners!