Foreign Visitors & Visa Applications

The Dean’s office has delegated management of visa applications and permanent residency applications to the School of Medicine’s Office of Faculty Affairs and Human Resources for all School of Medicine Research Associates, Senior Research Associates, Research Scientists, staff members, faculty/visiting faculty and research scholars.

Michelle Shaylor in the Office of Faculty Affairs and Human Resources manages the process.

All visa materials must be submitted at least 45 days prior to the appointment effective date. (Please remember that the Office of Immigration Services needs time for processing as well.)

The dean's letter of appointment is for visa purposes only; the regular appointment/reappointment process that you would follow for hiring or reappointing domestic (non-visa holding) RA/SRA/RS, staff and faculty must also be completed.

Please note: if you have requested and sent a dean's appointment letter prior to receiving hiring approval for your candidate and your candidate travels to the US, you run the risk of being responsible for paying his/her return airfare if hiring approval is eventually not granted.

Visa paperwork should be received in our office no later than 45 days prior to the appointment effective date. A complete visa application packet includes: 1) the appropriate CWRU visa application form (J-1, H1B, O1), 2) the CWRU Information from a Foreign Visitor form (J-1, H1B, O1), 3) the School of Medicine’s Required Information for School of Medicine Visa Application Review form, and 4) relevant support documents (IRB or IACUC protocols including approval dates and specific visitor activities).

You must receive prior approval from the Office of Immigration Services before proceeding with a TN visa.

All complete packets received in our office will be reviewed on a weekly basis.

During the review,  the visa application will be approved, denied, or deferred with request for additional information and you will be notified of the outcome.

CWRU Recommendation for Appointment of Exchange Visitor (J-1)CWRU Recommendation for Appointment of Temporary Worker (H-1B),  CWRU Information from an Exchange Visitor (J1)CWRU Information from a Foreign Visitor (H-1B). Information Required for SOM Visa Review. Operating Procedures for SOM J-1 Visa.

Permanent Residency Applications

Michelle manages requests received for CWRU sponsorship of permanent residency (“green card”) applications for appropriate SOM faculty and staff. Appropriate faculty and staff comprise those who are a) employed by CWRU or UHMG or by both; b) are currently holding a non-exchange visitor eligible visa (i.e. student and J visa holders are not eligible for the program but may be eligible if they obtain an H-1B or other non-exchange visitor eligible visa); and c) are engaged in activities that have the potential to provide a long-term benefit to the school, the university and/or the nation.

The School of Medicine and the university will support permanent residency applications on behalf of faculty members holding a tenure track appointment. Please forward the following items to the Office of Immigration and Human Resource Services, 215 Crawford Hall, Location Code 7047:

  1. A letter from the faculty member requesting sponsorship;
  2. The faculty member’s CV.

Requests for the Dean’s approval of a permanent residency application on behalf of a faculty member holding an appointment not on the tenure track OR a staff member’s permanent residency application should include:

  1. Since Department of Labor regulations require that the fees be paid by the employer and prohibit their payment by the beneficiary, identification of the speedtype number to which the fees, estimated at $5,500, will be charged;
  2. Using the form letter provided, a letter co-signed by the staff/faculty member’s faculty mentor or supervisor and the department chair;
  3. The faculty/staff member’s current CV.

If you have questions, please email or call Michelle Shaylor at or 216.368.6201.

The Office of Faculty Affairs and Human Resources does not review student visa requests. Please contact the Office of International Affairs. The Office of Faculty Affairs and Human Resources does not review visas for postdoctoral fellows/scholars. Please contact the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs.