Case Western Reserve increased the number of students permitted to live on-campus for the Spring based upon two factors:
- Our experiences in the fall relative to student compliance with health and safety protocols;
- Our ability to increase testing from roughly once every two weeks for undergraduate to weekly for all students, faculty and staff.
In addition, additional scientific research has shown that the likelihood transmission of the virus on surfaces is significantly lower than previously thought. Given this information, we do not believe that the increased number of students on campus significantly heightens risk, so long as residents:
- remain masked and maintain physical distance while in spaces with others
- have a single, self-enclosed room within their suite or apartment, and
- few enough residents in the suite or apartment that they can be alone in the bathroom/shower area
Given this information allowed the university to bring more students back to campus for the Spring. As such, additional roommates were added in suites and apartment (on average 4 students per suite; in apartments, one more person than the number of bathrooms).
Please check on MyHousing under your Spring 2024 assignment information and reach out to your new roommates, if you have not already done so. Now is the time to begin discussing guidelines for living in these spaces, how the fall residents approached sharing bathroom, kitchen, and common space, and getting to know each other overall.