For Medical Students in the University Program (exclusive of MSTP and other MD/PhD programs)
Students enrolled in the MD program or specified dual degree programs within the SOM (e.g., MD/MPH, MD/MA Bioethics, MD/MS) will be assessed four consecutive years of annual tuition or eight semesters, beginning with Year 1, as a requirement of graduation. There are instances when students can be required or may elect to take a fifth year:
Research and/or Academic Enrichment (additional graduate coursework)
- Students matriculating before Fall 2013 who take a fifth year to complete additional graduate school coursework or combined master/MD degrees within the SOM will be assessed four consecutive years of full MD tuition and will pay a Continuation Fee* in lieu of tuition during the fifth year.
- Students matriculating in Fall 2013 or later who take a fifth year to complete additional graduate school coursework or combined master/MD degrees within the SOM will be assessed four consecutive years of full MD tuition and will pay 25% of the then-current MD tuition rate during the fifth year.
- Students who elect to extend their MD program by a fifth year to complete a research project or who participate in academic enrichment will be assessed four consecutive years of full MD tuition and will pay a Continuation Fee* in the fifth and final year.
- Students enrolled in a dual degree program outside the School of Medicine (e.g., Dentistry, Law, Management) will have different tuition requirements based on the specified program. The semesters in which students are required to take a leave of absence from the medical school in order to complete program requirements in another school will not be assessed a Continuation Fee or medical school tuition.
Students who must repeat Years 1 and/or 2 for academic reasons will be assessed four consecutive years of full tuition and will pay 50% of the then-current tuition for each additional year. Students who must repeat any year for any other reason (e.g., Disciplinary) must pay full tuition for the additional year and for all subsequent years until graduation at the then-current rate.
Students who have withdrawn (or been dismissed) from the curriculum will receive tuition refund in accordance with Case Western Reserve University policy.
Tuition adjustments related to personal or health issues for the student or their spouse/domestic partner will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
* The Continuation Fee is 5% of the then-current annual MD tuition and maintains a full-time student enrollment status, malpractice insurance coverage and eligibility for health insurance. Tuition rates subject to annual review by the Office of the Dean.